Chris Froome Breaks Leg

Bud the Baker

19 hours ago, oaksoft said:

He's broken a lot more than just his leg.

Currently in intensive care having crashed into a wall at about 35 mph.

It appears that he ran into the wall while trying to blow his nose. Why would any experienced cyclist try to blow his nose while travelling at 35 mph?

16 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Report on the Radio yesterday said he was on a training ride earlier in the day with a team mate who watched him take his hands of the handlebars and warned him to stop taking chances . Silly boy for not heeding that advice..

Aye, there's a video clip showing this incident.

He can't be that good, I could do a lap around Andrew Street/Albion Street with no hands no bother. 

Guest TPAFKATS
It appears that he ran into the wall while trying to blow his nose. Why would any experienced cyclist try to blow his nose while travelling at 35 mph?
Most of the pros could ride at that speed without holding the handlebars for a wee while anyway. The problem seems to have been the wind.
Taking both hands off to blow his nose does seem rather daft though - if it's not the wind it would've been a pothole, camber, etc.

48 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

And they say cycling is good for you!

I've decided sitting watching TV with a beer and a hawf is far better for you.

Guest TPAFKATS
And they say cycling is good for you!
I've decided sitting watching TV with a beer and a hawf is far better for you.
Cheers, I'll have a case of craft beers and a bottle of Highland Park [emoji1303]

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday's was the first stage of this years event and in a tight sprint finish Pete Sagan was edged out - significant, who knows? 

One of the outsiders for Yellow Jakob Fuglsang was caught up in a minor crash but recovered albeit with a tiny bit of leaning on the team car and Geraint Thomas needed a couple of plasters (again!) but nothing significant ahead of today's TTT.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:19 AM, Bud the Baker said:

Yesterday's was the first stage of this years event and in a tight sprint finish Pete Sagan was edged out - significant, who knows? 

One of the outsiders for Yellow Jakob Fuglsang was caught up in a minor crash but recovered albeit with a tiny bit of leaning on the team car and Geraint Thomas needed a couple of plasters (again!) but nothing significant ahead of today's TTT.

Still , I'm sure you can rock the cynics if you try. .

Guest TPAFKATS
Geraint Thomas cracked today, it will be a french winner of the tour de france this year.

Still some long mountain days to come, a lot could happen. Yellow Jersey could crack, similar to Yates on vuelta a couple of years back.

5k to go and the  GC peloton has been exploded - Alaphilippe having a wobble now! 

Thomas looking happier post-stage as he clawed back most of the time lost to Alaphillipe yesterday. Pinot is looking strong and has worked himself back into contention with a second place today.

Rest day tomorrow and then a coupla non GC stages (famous last words) followed by the 3 stages in the Alps.

Egon Bernal is the wildcard for Ineos who might be stronger in race conditions - I reckon Ineos will stick with Thomas though unless he is bypassed by Bernal at some point. An unusual position for Ineos (Sky) as they will be one of the teams chasing and possibly looking to protect two GC riders.

My prediction - one of the four riders mentioned!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Coupla easy days, nothing significant for the main contenders in the GC category over the last two days although Gerry "Mr. Elastoplast"Thomas had a minor tumble yesterday.

3 mountain stages in the Alps to sort out the GC before Sunday's procession through Paris. Will it go to the final climb on Saturday - Val Thorens @ 2365m and can Ineos chase down a Tour win for a change?

Edited by Bud the Baker

Great stage - Quintana wins to move up to 7th in the GC standings but is probably too far back to challenge for Yellow.

Bernal finishes 32 secs ahead of the other GC contenders but significantly moves into 2nd position ahead of Thomas and may now be Ineos's No. 1 rider over the next two stages.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Guest TPAFKATS
Great stage - Quintana wins to move up to 7th in the GC standings but is probably too far back to challenge for Yellow.
Bernal finishes 32 secs ahead of the other GC contenders but significantly moves into 2nd position ahead of Thomas and may now be Ineos's No. 1 rider over the next two stages.
Puts ineos in the position moviestar used to be in where they can attack the yellow Jersey with 2 riders separately?

Nothing the race organisers could've done about yesterday although it was a shame for Alaphillipe who was going like a train on the descent before the final climb - who knows if he could've survived it?

Nibali looking like he can win this stage with 2k to go, Alaphillipe cracked and looking to hold on to 5th place - scant reward for so much effort but that;s the sport.

It looks just like 2nd & 3rd places to be settled in a brutal last kilometre.

Nibali wins the stage!

Bernal wins the Tour!

Edited by Bud the Baker

It's been a really interesting Tour - far better than I'd anticipated.  Bizarre, too with yesterday's deluge.

Too hot down 'ere to do much digging, so me and The Boss have squatted in front of afternoon TV, imagining we were exercising hard like the bikers.

Thirsty work.  Enjoyable.

We had hoped for G to be The Man and believed all the Floss about Bernal was just fantasy, but he proved to be exceptional - at only 22 years and 194 days old.

That thin air certainly paid off for him.

I can imagine Brailsford (and other team managers) now looking for Sherpas or Kenyans that can ride a bike...