Stenhousemuir V StMirren 9 July

St.Ricky

I fear that the lack of cash rumour might have more legs to it than some people gave it credit for. 
Worryingly thin squad with our first competitive game this weekend. 

Still expect us to be too strong for the Pars. They have money concerns themselves and are looking to rely on youth...
5-1 Saints with doubles for Mullen and Cooke either side of Andreu's debut strike.

8 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Andreu was out of contract. Popescu never materialised, let's see how long Hladky is with us... and last season we were linked with Adam Rooney and Anthony Stokes before settling for Jeff King and Cody Cooke supplementing Danny Mullen.

Hang on. Don't sweep over that.

We've had a bid of £250k in for him. We are a few days from the start of the season and have several players to get in yet. If we were genuinely skint that bid would have been accepted. It would have been stupid to do otherwise.

And....what we ended up with last season is irrelevant. We no longer have a manager who signs players without looking at them personally.

8 hours ago, the barrhead teacher said:

Give the man a chance only been in the job two weeks

I don't think any/many are seeing our situation being down to Goodwin? :blink:

He's been pretty much seen as the best option we had in somewhat strange circumstances.

It's the lack of action on incoming players that is looking like a concern.

The ITK crew told us it's under control, things were in place and the departure of Kearney wasn't an issue as we had Gus working furiously behind the scenes with a list. :lol:

We are under a week before we play our first official game, which I'm sure will be seen as meaningless by some, and we are less than prepared.

PS Apologies to @magnus, pretty close to my thoughts, just read it, could have saved me time. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

If we were skint Andreu wouldn't have been signed.
If we were skint Hladky would be gone at the first sign of a bid.
If we were skint Popescu would never have been something we could even consider.
If we were skint Jim Goodwin certainly wouldn't be here.
Don't be daft. It's far easier to make up negative shite about our finances or about our chairman, than to sit tight and see what actually transpires.[emoji38]

12 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Goodwin doesn't want to use many loan players at the club and would rather build his own squad. I'd imagine if we end up making lots of loan signings things haven't gone to JG's plans... but not to worry the BoD expected Kearney to leave and had made contingency plans blah blah blah.

So far I'm not sure whether I detect Goodwin's hand in signing Andreu and us being linked with Stevie May (he played with both at Accies I think) or whether it is a return to Gus' policy of picking up out of contract / unwanted players from other Scottish clubs.

I can see the sense in that because you get the chance to develpe players and avoid rebuilding the team each year. But that also means cutting out a whole sector of the market and would have meant us missing out on the likes of Dummet and Isma.

3 minutes ago, insaintee said:

I can see the sense in that because you get the chance to develpe players and avoid rebuilding the team each year. But that also means cutting out a whole sector of the market and would have meant us missing out on the likes of Dummet and Isma.

Also worth mentioning that apart from those two cup winners, the winning goal for our first major trophy in 26 years was scored by another loanee, Conor Newton.

6 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Also worth mentioning that apart from those two cup winners, the winning goal for our first major trophy in 26 years was scored by another loanee, Conor Newton.

Indeed. I get that perhaps there should be more emphise on squad building, but we can't afford to ignore that market otherwise would almost certainly have gone down last season

12 hours ago, munoz said:

I fear that the lack of cash rumour might have more legs to it than some people gave it credit for. 

Worryingly thin squad with our first competitive game this weekend. 

The funds were screwed paying off Stubbs & co, mutually terminating contracts, compo to Coleraine, signing biggest earners Anton, Jackson & Hamill after Stubbs had committed the budget, then spending it again on a new squad in January, then having to pay up Oran's contract. Add to that compo for Goody & co....

then there is the fortune spent on Gus and extra coaches etc!

pretty much like the old board not renewing Gus, or Danny's contracts as the budget was continually chopped, so Goody comes in cheaper, with cheaper asst, and a smaller budget to spend!

and i have to ask.... how many times do you think the McGinn transfer money was feckin spent??? Jeez its long f**king gone!

to the actual game last night, again as i have said before never get het up about a friendly, or early league cup game too much unless we wiin/lose by four or more. That said it appears against the mighty Stenny that our trialists couldnt muster a performance that might inspire hope, and convince the manager to spend his small budget on them.

i mean, come on Djorkeff etc, you would expect to see last night as a feckin golden opportunity to shine. Looks like "these are not the trialists we are looking for"?

tick, tock..!

7 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

The funds were screwed paying off Stubbs & co, mutually terminating contracts, compo to Coleraine, signing biggest earners Anton, Jackson & Hamill after Stubbs had committed the budget, then spending it again on a new squad in January, then having to pay up Oran's contract. Add to that compo for Goody & co....

then there is the fortune spent on Gus and extra coaches etc!

pretty much like the old board not renewing Gus, or Danny's contracts as the budget was continually chopped, so Goody comes in cheaper, with cheaper asst, and a smaller budget to spend!

and i have to ask.... how many times do you think the McGinn transfer money was feckin spent??? Jeez its long f**king gone!

to the actual game last night, again as i have said before never get het up about a friendly, or early league cup game too much unless we wiin/lose by four or more. That said it appears against the mighty Stenny that our trialists couldnt muster a performance that might inspire hope, and convince the manager to spend his small budget on them.

i mean, come on Djorkeff etc, you would expect to see last night as a feckin golden opportunity to shine. Looks like "these are not the trialists we are looking for"?

tick, tock..!

Some more unfounded nonsense interspersed with the usual desperation that st Mirren are in a bad way.

Quite staggering to make a comment that we had to ‘pay up’ Orans contract less that 24 hours removed from GLS saying it was his choice to leave and roughly a week after he took another job. (Something he’d be prevented from doing if we were honouring two years worth of contract) 

15 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

Repost from the speculation thread as I've found "Cossow" - it's Iban Cossou, an Auxerre youth player.

https://www.facebook.com/iban.cossou.7

https://www.football365.fr/joueur/cossou-iban-239602.shtml

6 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Is this our scouting programme in action?

IMG_1829.PNG

I get what you're saying, but I can see why we're going down this route to add squad depth. It's a really competitive marketplace and we need to find unpolished gems from lower leagues in the hope they pay off. 

In an ideal world, we'll have six targets lined up in all the right positions who would be ready to push for a first team place and easily be of a good enough standard to help us finish 8th or higher. Sadly I don't think that's the case.

In all honesty, the new league cup format is, I think, putting more pressure on diddy clubs (everyone outside Rangers and Celtic, the Embra clubs and Aberdeen) to get their houses in order at a ridiculously early stage in the summer. My personal belief is that no competitive games should be played while the transfer window is still open - certainly not in the league. The league cup group format makes it nigh-on impossible to reconcile supporters' expectations with the reality of the situation, which is that we ideally need four or five friendly games to look at some trialists for the first two/three matches, and then let the squad take shape.

It is what it is, though, and it means we're still scraping that barrel right before our first competitive game. It's madness, in all honesty.

1 minute ago, Magic Monkey said:

I get what you're saying, but I can see why we're going down this route to add squad depth. It's a really competitive marketplace and we need to find unpolished gems from lower leagues in the hope they pay off. 

In an ideal world, we'll have six targets lined up in all the right positions who would be ready to push for a first team place and easily be of a good enough standard to help us finish 8th or higher. Sadly I don't think that's the case.

In all honesty, the new league cup format is, I think, putting more pressure on diddy clubs (everyone outside Rangers and Celtic, the Embra clubs and Aberdeen) to get their houses in order at a ridiculously early stage in the summer. My personal belief is that no competitive games should be played while the transfer window is still open - certainly not in the league. The league cup group format makes it nigh-on impossible to reconcile supporters' expectations with the reality of the situation, which is that we ideally need four or five friendly games to look at some trialists for the first two/three matches, and then let the squad take shape.

It is what it is, though, and it means we're still scraping that barrel right before our first competitive game. It's madness, in all honesty.

Aye its where we are... "anything off the bottom shelf"

posters should remember that is exactly what Stubbs did last summer, and we all know how successful that was!

none of the trialists signed yet as far as i know, hope the lessons have been learned before any of them are signed.

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Aye its where we are... "anything off the bottom shelf"

posters should remember that is exactly what Stubbs did last summer, and we all know how successful that was!

none of the trialists signed yet as far as i know, hope the lessons have been learned before any of them are signed.

Yeah, agreed - I just think it's the process we have to go through. You might find a total gem who tears it up; or they might all be total jobbers. You'd like to think we've got enough eyes on them now to make sure we don't f**k it right up again.

You'd like to think.

Fake edit: JM1 said in the speculation thread that Mini Dennis Rodman is already back at the airport, so there's one down!

14 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Oh and someone was mocked for highlighting that we were looking at trialists before JG arrived . . . :ninja

None of the trialists that featured last night had been on trial with us before the start of this week.

I believe they came from a ‘pickup’ game of French players, may have something to do with Edusport or whatever they are called.

A team of free agent French players were over in Scotland last week.  They were staying over at the University of Stirling being coached by Rob Jones with the intention of playing bounce games in front of scouts from other Scottish clubs.  They played Clyde and Alloa as far as I'm aware so I'd imagine Goody became aware of them from that  They beat Alloa 3-1 with Mickael Gaougao getting 2 so himself and the pick of the bunch were more than worth a look in a game like last nights.

Don't see why people are so upset at taking a look at these guys?  I wouldn't expect the quality signings we are after to be coming in on trial first of all so I'm confident these players have been identified and work is going on in the background.  Pre-Season is the time to do exactly what we are doing and look at out of contract trialists who are trying to win themselves a deal and I'm glad we are keeping an open mind and casting the net a bit wider when doing this.  

By all accounts these boys weren't good enough so we move on.