Stenhousemuir V StMirren 9 July

St.Ricky

As far as I'm concerned our management can take their time and test out as many trialists as they like rather than sign up a shitload of players that 'could-be' or 'should-be' or 'hopefully-might-be' a first teamer for us this season.

And I'm delighted that Goodwin shows no sign (yet) of "doing a Danny Lennon" and raiding his old lower-division club for part-timers that looked the part at that level. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

That's a fair enough explanation if true. Certainly better than the thought of these guys actually being 'the list'. 

Given how few first team squad players we have then these guys are part of the list surely? Why else would they be getting looked at four days before our first competitive fixture when we are short of bodies.

of they weren't 'the list' you'd expect Gus to be watching them in bounce games as the 'quality' is recruited for this sunday?

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

As far as I'm concerned our management can take their time and test out as many trialists as they like rather than sign up a shitload of players that 'could-be' or 'should-be' or 'hopefully-might-be' a first teamer for us this season.

And I'm delighted that Goodwin shows no sign (yet) of "doing a Danny Lennon" and raiding his old lower-division club for part-timers that looked the part at that level. 

Re the bit in bold!

early days pardner.... early days... 

A team of free agent French players were over in Scotland last week.  They were staying over at the University of Stirling being coached by Rob Jones with the intention of playing bounce games in front of scouts from other Scottish clubs.  They played Clyde and Alloa as far as I'm aware so I'd imagine Goody became aware of them from that  They beat Alloa 3-1 with Mickael Gaougao getting 2 so himself and the pick of the bunch were more than worth a look in a game like last nights.
Don't see why people are so upset at taking a look at these guys?  I wouldn't expect the quality signings we are after to be coming in on trial first of all so I'm confident these players have been identified and work is going on in the background.  Pre-Season is the time to do exactly what we are doing and look at out of contract trialists who are trying to win themselves a deal and I'm glad we are keeping an open mind and casting the net a bit wider when doing this.  
By all accounts these boys weren't good enough so we move on.  
Good to see the facts behind the trialists. Not surprised to see the usual halfwits posting utter shite on the basis of nothing. You really wonder whether they ever engage a brain cell or two before reacting to anything in real life.[emoji4]

3 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

Yeah, agreed - I just think it's the process we have to go through. You might find a total gem who tears it up; or they might all be total jobbers. You'd like to think we've got enough eyes on them now to make sure we don't f**k it right up again.

You'd like to think.

Fake edit: JM1 said in the speculation thread that Mini Dennis Rodman is already back at the airport, so there's one down!

It's been reported a pile of young French players were over staying at Stirling University. A game was played against Aloa the French won 3-1. I'm sure Jim wanted a closer look. The very tall lad was at Glasgow Airport for a flight back to France so he is not signing.  

42 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Good to see the facts behind the trialists. Not surprised to see the usual halfwits posting utter shite on the basis of nothing. You really wonder whether they ever engage a brain cell or two before reacting to anything in real life.emoji4.png

Whoops the guy posted  here ignore mine. LPM will have something to say about that I'm sure. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Just now, Kemp said:

That's not a great result for Alloa getting horsed off a random rabble of clubless french guys!

I dunno... I refuse to take our friendly results seriously, and I also refuse to judge other teams' for the same reason. Might have just been a total training kickabout for Alloa.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Good to see the facts behind the trialists. Not surprised to see the usual halfwits posting utter shite on the basis of nothing. You really wonder whether they ever engage a brain cell or two before reacting to anything in real life.emoji4.png

And you believe that twaddle. I mean who has a name like Rob Jones and a university in Stirling, aye very good. As for Scottish clubs having scouts, who comes up with this nonsense. A bounce game, come on surely they would have been over to play some football. Don't believe everything you read on the internet 😉

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Facts?

Could be true, might not, but as it suits your agenda you'll believe anything. 

I see your anger management classes are not doing too well? :lol:

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Your are one of the halfwits ya fecking clown🤣🤣🤣

55 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Facts?

I see your anger management classes are not doing too well? :lol:

FTOF, like Oaksoft is up his own arse. In fact, probably up each others at times. He thinks he is superior to all Saints fans and constantly slates and belittles them. Only happy when ridiculing fellow buddies. 

Like, Oaksoft, FTOF is an arsehole.  

6 minutes ago, shull said:

He is number one halfwit.

Along with Sweeper, Jaybee, munoz, cockles, kemp.....these 6 think their word is gospel and nobody can disagree with their wee forum gang.....they all love to agree with each other high fiving and fist pumps...talk utter shite with no minds of their own...the forum bores!

Facts?
I see your anger management classes are not doing too well? [emoji38]
Happy as Larry me.[emoji2] Beer in Split going down f**king treat.20190707_182535.jpeg

4 minutes ago, gstretchuk said:

Along with Sweeper, Jaybee, munoz, cockles, kemp.....these 6 think their word is gospel and nobody can disagree with their wee forum gang.....they all love to agree with each other high fiving and fist pumps...talk utter shite with no minds of their own...the forum bores!

slow motion yes GIF

6 hours ago, aldo_j said:

None of the trialists that featured last night had been on trial with us before the start of this week.

I believe they came from a ‘pickup’ game of French players, may have something to do with Edusport or whatever they are called.

I never for one moment said they did... does that mean that this was the 1st we looked at trialists - ANSWER NO IT DOESN'T

🤣

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

It's been reported a pile of young French players were over staying at Stirling University. A game was played against Aloa the French won 3-1. I'm sure Jim wanted a closer look. The very tall lad was at Glasgow Airport for a flight back to France so he is not signing.  

Maybe he is signing and plans to commute in each day.

I think we have to be realistic. No problem with trialists. Doesn't conflict with having a signing strategy as there is a long time till the window closes. Would have been nice to have Popesco back and McAllister. One might get happen. Too early to make judgements. Glad to see Lyness back. 

I don't think any/many are seeing our situation being down to Goodwin? :blink:
He's been pretty much seen as the best option we had in somewhat strange circumstances.
It's the lack of action on incoming players that is looking like a concern.
The ITK crew told us it's under control, things were in place and the departure of Kearney wasn't an issue as we had Gus working furiously behind the scenes with a list. :lol:
We are under a week before we play our first official game, which I'm sure will be seen as meaningless by some, and we are less than prepared.
PS Apologies to [mention=14314]magnus[/mention], pretty close to my thoughts, just read it, could have saved me time. :lol:

Fair comment as was thoughts of Magnus. My reaction was more aimed at what Goodwin will have been able to achieve in that space of time, the wider issues over recruitment and timing are all perfectly valid. However, if Kearney and board had pressed ahead before his departure would Goodwin be sitting with a number of players he didn't want? Proof will be in the pudding over next few weeks