Scottish Teams In Europe

shull

5 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I have to disagree.

Putting aside my dislike for them for a second, Sevco 2012, even though a new club, still had major funding. They were beaten by a side from Luxembourg. That is, a side who finished 4th in Luxembourg.

The financial gap alone makes that result the most “embarrassing” for a Scottish side in Europe. The Sevvies would obviously have been on a lot more money than Killie, while Connah’s and Progres probably weren’t too far apart.

Aside from that, Hearts also got knocked out by Maltese giants Birkirkara in recent years. Another “surely that’s a must win” sort of tie.

Killie’s result wasn’t even the embarrassment of the night in Europe. Have a look at Hadjuk Split - won 2-0 in Malta. 1-0 up at HT, 3-0 on agg. Then Gzira, their Maltese opponents fired in three second half strikes to win on away goals.

By all means it’s a shit result, especially after getting the away win, but for me it’ll take much more than that to be more “embarrassing” than the Sevvies loss to Progres (although I thought that defeat was hilarious because it’s the Sevvies).

Bugger that. Supporters of the bigot brothers are a large reason the rest of us can’t compete - they all abandon their local sides to support two clubs based on money and sectarianism.

Any European defeat in any circumstance to those two is an absolute pleasure.

Apologies for sounding like shull but seriously, feck them. Hope they both get pumped in the next round.

Opinions are what the forum is all about. I chose to follow SMFC when I moved to the area. Before that I watched the local team where I lived... Dunfermline, Dundee United, Ayr United and of course SMFC when I came to Paisley in 1973. Despite moving away in 1993 to Perthshire and then Stirling, I have continued to attend SMFC games home and Way as have my sons, one in Edinburgh and the other in Stirling. I do go to watch Stirling Albion, Alloa and sometimes Falkirk. I also attended European Games at Dunfermline, Tannadice, Celtic Park and Ibrox. I don't blame other fans for choosing to follow any particular team whilst disliking the sectarian element involved with a few. By the way, I loved the European Nights at Love Street best. 

That hate must be a heavy load on your back. 

It’s actually the hate of the Old Firm that is a heavy load, not just on Scottish football but society in general.

If people had stood up to them when they had the chance in 2012 and denied Sevco entry to the Scottish league then sectarianism in Scotland would be dead.

Unfortunately, because of people with attitudes like yours, Scotland will continue to bear the heavy load of sectarianism.

Just now, Wendy Saintss said:

It’s actually the hate of the Old Firm that is a heavy load, not just on Scottish football but society in general.

If people had stood up to them when they had the chance in 2012 and denied Sevco entry to the Scottish league then sectarianism in Scotland would be dead.

Unfortunately, because of people with attitudes like yours, Scotland will continue to bear the heavy load of sectarianism.

Not me sir. 

I abhor bigotry and sectarianism. 

3 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Hopefully the next time Sevco go bust, the SFA will have had a massive change in personnel and won’t bend over backwards for a random new club who wants to impersonate Rangers 1872.

Their return to the Scottish leagues was illegal.

Come on the Dons .. 

Do it for your great fans and for Scotland and Scottish Football .. 

The two sectarian Glasgow Clubs shame and disgrace Scotland and the whole football world .. 

Absolute bigot vile scum .. 

5 minutes ago, shull said:

Come on the Dons .. 

Do it for your great fans and for Scotland and Scottish Football .. 

The two sectarian Glasgow Clubs shame and disgrace Scotland and the whole football world .. 

Absolute bigot vile scum .. 

Surely you see the irony in your position on bigots. 

You stated that bigotry is bad (and I agree) then you go on to act like a bigot. 

Strange indeed. 

8 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Surely you see the irony in your position on bigots. 

You stated that bigotry is bad (and I agree) then you go on to act like a bigot. 

Strange indeed. 

Pointing out that something is coloured yellow doesn’t render you yellow.

pointing out that a pencil is a pencil does not make you become a pencil.

your attempt at logic is strange, indeed.

however, in an amazingly coincidental manner, your continuing attempts to play down bigotry and also the structured dishonesty in our game puts you increasingly on that side of the divide.

you don’t strike me as being purposely venal.  :unsure:

5 minutes ago, antrin said:

Pointing out that something is coloured yellow doesn’t render you yellow.

pointing out that a pencil is a pencil does not make you become a pencil.

your attempt at logic is strange, indeed.

however, in an amazingly coincidental manner, your continuing attempts to play down bigotry and also the structured dishonesty in our game puts you increasingly on that side of the divide.

you don’t strike me as being purposely venal.  :unsure:

One thing I have never been is bigoted. Another is sectarian. I have no time for either. 

A number of years ago, I was accused of being bigoted against bigots and at the time I tbought this summed me up well. 

I came to realise though that, whilst not agreeing with the outlook espoused by t h e supporters of our two biggest teams that I should equally respect their right to hold these views, even though I strongly disagree. 

Wr are all shaped by our experiences. Theirs are different to mine and always will be... But there are signs of improvement, slow, yes. 

I will continue to argue against bigotry and sectarianism and for change within Scottish Football to root out those involved. The two big clubs have to do more. The SFA and SPFL have to do more. The fans of both have to move on. 

But so do I and I have. We welcome supporters  from every other club to our ground. I look forward to the day when we can do the same with fans of the big two. 

On The New Rangers question, I find myself conflicted. Yes, there were injustices and penalties could have been greater, particularly in terms of titles won in a petiod when it wad clear that rules were broken. 

But on the new club argument it is more difficult. The league operates under licence from the SFA. Clubs operate under licence from the SPFL. It is possible to argue that the Licence to operate Rangers was transferred from one owner to another.

We plan to change ownership soon. This won't invalidate St Mirren's identity. 

My sides 

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha 

Deid As A Dodo FC 1873-2012 

Decomposing FC 1873-2012.

There is a tribute act .. 

Sevco 2012.

36 minutes ago, shull said:

My sides 

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha 

Deid As A Dodo FC 1873-2012 

Decomposing FC 1873-2012.

There is a tribute act .. 

Sevco 2012.

Your sides might be sore from laughing but you seem to be as much a product of the west of Scotland as those you complain about. 

9 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Your sides might be sore from laughing but you seem to be as much a product of the west of Scotland as those you complain about. 

I am a pencil .. 

11 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

You supported terrorist loving Celtic last night .. 

You will support vermin Sevco tonight .. 

You hate Scottish Football .. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

But on the new club argument it is more difficult. The league operates under licence from the SFA. Clubs operate under licence from the SPFL. It is possible to argue that the Licence to operate Rangers was transferred from one owner to another.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to argue that!  :lol:

Rangers went into liquidation. It left the league and Dundee took its vacant spot in the top league.

A diddy match had been arranged against I think  it was Berwick Rangers (a real team) by sevco - and so sevco was granted temporary permission to allow some registered deid-Rangers players to play in that game.

(Other quality Rangers players simply walked away as no contract could still exist between them and the deid club.  And there was certainly nothing that could possibly link them to this sevco product of a spiv's imagination.)

Then sevco was shoehorned into Div 4 (without the necessary legal, accounting or timely standing in Scottish football) ahead of a slew ofmore worthy lower league clubs with similar aspirations.  

It was all wrong, underhanded and immoral.  And coudn't posssibly be misconstrued as a transferrence from one identity to another - unless you are part of the corruption.

Other clubs threatened with aministration have fans who rallied round to extricate their club from that ( cf Hearts Dunf).

Other fans couldn't do it and their clubs died (cf Third Lanark, Annn).  Those clubs were allowed to fail (being dead and gone) by the authorities : no one was daft enough to pretend  (or "possibly argue that...) the new creation was actually the old club.  That the old glories,history and titlesshould roll over.  Only the SFA and SPL rolled over...

And as for your spurious comparison with Saints getting a change of ownership...   ffs.

Obviously, clubs can have changes of owners. but something that died cannot be revivified. 

ps. The top half of your post counselling ca' canny wrt bigotry appals me. 

Why on earth should anyone respect vermin who carry and propagate bigoted views?!

It doesn't need to "take time"  to root it out.  That should be the work of a governing body - whether of football or f the nation.  To suggest that we should proceed with caution is merely condoning bigotry.

I know it matters not a jot to you, but I'm finding your recent posts to be really disappointing.

Edited by antrin

4 minutes ago, antrin said:

It is IMPOSSIBLE to argue that!  :lol:

Rangers went into liquidation. It left the league and Dundee took its vacant spot in the top league.

A diddy match had been arranged against I think  it was Berwick Rangers (a real team) by sevco - and so sevco was granted temporary permission to allow some registered deid-Rangers players to play in that game.

(Other quality Rangers players simply walked away as no contract could still exist between them and the deid club.  And there was certainly noting that could possibly link them to this sevco product of a spiv's imagination.)

Then sevco was shoehorned into Div 4 (without the necessary legal, accounting or timely standing in Scottish football) ahead of a slew ofmore worthy lower league clubs with similar aspirations.  

It was all wrong, underhanded and immoral.  And coudn't posssibly be misconstrued as a transferrence from one identity to another - unless you are part of the corruption.

Other clubs threatened with aministration have fans who rallied round to extricate their club from that ( cf Hearts Dunf).

Other fans couldn't do it and their clubs died (cf Third Lanark, Annn).  Those clubs were allowed to fail (being dead and gone) by the authorities : no one was daft enough to pretend  (or "possibly argue that...) the new creation was actually the old club.  That the old glories,history and titlesshould roll over.  Only the SFA and SPL rolled over...

And as for your spurious comparison with Saints getting a change of ownership...   ffs.

Obviously, clubs can have changes of owners. but something that died cannot be revivified. 

ps. I think the top half of your post counselling ca' canny wrt bigotry appals me. 

Why on earth should anyone respect vermin who carry and popagate bgoted view?!

It doesn't need to "take time"  to root it out.  To sugest that we should proceed with caution is merely condoning bigotry.

I know it matters not a jot to you, but I'm finding your recent posts to be really disappointing.

I utterly abhor bigotry. 

I already said that I think stronger action could/should have been taken on Rangers. 

I said that the only possible argument that might be debated is whether clubs operate under licence.

You are right about first Administration and then liquidation. In each case the decision to allocate the licence would have fallen to the SFA and/or SPFl. 

Do I agree with what they did? 

No.