Dundee Utd in Nigeria

truesaint

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/68c9c99d-c9d8-4857-96dd-b10336e2118e

Dundee United - Nigeria

Dundee United is synonymous with “idiot” in parts of Nigeria where Yoruba is spoken. I wasn’t able to establish with 100% accuracy where this had come from, but it seems to have come from a tour of Nigeria that Dundee United went on in 1972, when they prepared really badly, the weather was really hot, the players got sick, there were injuries and the pitches were no good. Because they complained about it so much, this culminated in the Dundee United name being taken in vain.

I couldn’t believe that when I came across it. It was written on a website and I spoke to people in Nigeria who confirmed it anecdotally.

12 minutes ago, truesaint said:

Dundee United - Nigeria

Dundee United is synonymous with “idiot” in parts of Nigeria where Yoruba is spoken. I wasn’t able to establish with 100% accuracy where this had come from, but it seems to have come from a tour of Nigeria that Dundee United went on in 1972, when they prepared really badly, the weather was really hot, the players got sick, there were injuries and the pitches were no good. Because they complained about it so much, this culminated in the Dundee United name being taken in vain.

I couldn’t believe that when I came across it. It was written on a website and I spoke to people in Nigeria who confirmed it anecdotally.

I find Sweeper means the same on here where gibberish is spoken. :wink:

25 minutes ago, truesaint said:

Dundee United - Nigeria

And in Paisley ,Dundee Utd is synonymous with - you won't get past Hladky. 

I know we all like to have a pop at each other in a " jovial " way but is there a discussion on this forum when there's is not someone having a go at someone else? Most of the time it's all good clean banter but sometimes it's not.  This is the only forum I am on and maybe it is the norm but FFS we are all StMirren fans apparently and I do appreciate we all have different opinions on how or who we should play or who should be at the helm but when it gets personal IMO that's wrong.  St Ricky is all about the Buds and that should be all that matters GB St Ricky COYS

• 2 weeks later...