Welcome back Mr James Goodwin

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

FFS, the day you become the person who decides what we can and can't laugh at is the day we should all throw ourselves onto a spike.

Think I understand where your coming from.  People still treating it as a stigma, not to be talk about. Thank god for Maggie's. 

1 minute ago, pod said:

Think I understand where your coming from.  People still treating it as a stigma, not to be talk about. Thank god for Maggie's. 

If you are looking at a genuine attempt to be funny then it should be recognised as such and the line should be whether the joke is funny or not.

The alternative is that we then need to appoint people to decide what we can and can't joke about. The country is full of little Hitlers trying to do exactly that. LPM is trying to do it on this thread. He can go f**k himself.

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If you are looking at a genuine attempt to be funny then it should be recognised as such and the line should be whether the joke is funny or not.

The alternative is that we then need to appoint people to decide what we can and can't joke about. The country is full of little Hitlers trying to do exactly that. LPM is trying to do it on this thread. He can go f**k himself.

Sorry, but there was no attempt in being funny. That was entirely genuine. I don't see who you could see it any other way. 

Have you never heard of "The Maggie's Centre's".    Where one gets to openly talk about there cancer and not hide from it.  

Edited by pod

3 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

My preference was to appoint Goodwin this time last season

Just a pity that we then went on to appoint Stubbs

Ironically, when I criticised the appointment of Stubbs, I was abused by the usual suspects on this forum who then went on to hound him out a few weeks later! emoji1.png

My god I agree with you!!!!!!

1 hour ago, alanb said:

Only if you find Cancer funny too.
I don’t.

53 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Making jokes about cancer doesn't mean you find cancer funny.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

The only problem with FTOF's "joke" is that it wasn't funny. There was no clever word play.....nothing.

Humour is a relative concept (IMO) when we start censoring certain aspects the whole thing falls apart.

As Oak says, Making a joke on a subject doesn’t mean you find the subject funny. You can trust this is true because it’s unbelievably something we both aren’t arguing over. Few and far between. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

FFS, the day you become the person who decides what we can and can't laugh at is the day we should all throw ourselves onto a spike.

1 hour ago, pod said:

In response to both the above. Hell you, I, whoever can laugh at what they want!

life is f**kin hard, then you die... so poking fun at it is one of our few sadistic pleasures. Not going back over old ground, but when you seek to discriminate (accidentally or intentionally) someone who damn near lost their life regarding their now disability (think the Falkirk fans & Dean Shiels) and they cant respond, then its gone over the line. Certainly in my book, and in FTOF's book who i believe had no real intent, and showed some class.

think on what happened to the Falkirk fans who thought it funny to goad Dean Shiels!

who btw now plays for Coleraine. Small world....

Humour is a relative concept (IMO) when we start censoring certain aspects the whole thing falls apart.
As Oak says, Making a joke on a subject doesn’t mean you find the subject funny. You can trust this is true because it’s unbelievably something we both aren’t arguing over. Few and far between. 
Really?

I was at a comedy show when the "comedian" made "jokes" about child abuse!

Some people left, and were subjected to the "comedians" abuse.

We were stuck in the middle of a row so were stuck, but I saw people genuinely distressed and hurt by his attempt at humour!

You find watching grown women breaking their hearts funny?

Even humour has to have boundaries and accountability.

15 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

In response to both the above. Hell you, I, whoever can laugh at what they want!

life is f**kin hard, then you die... so poking fun at it is one of our few sadistic pleasures. Not going back over old ground, but when you seek to discriminate (accidentally or intentionally) someone who damn near lost their life regarding their now disability (think the Falkirk fans & Dean Shiels) and they cant respond, then its gone over the line. Certainly in my book, and in FTOF's book who i believe had no real intent, and showed some class.

think on what happened to the Falkirk fans who thought it funny to goad Dean Shiels!

Yup

The above paragraph just about sums you up?

Contradictions, self- opinionated and then a poor attempt at humour

Life is what you make it

Goody has signed, new season is approaching, get over yourself .....................

9 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Really?

We were stuck in the middle of a row so were stuck, but I saw people genuinely distressed and hurt by his attempt at humour!

Shocked & amazed you’d respond it me again in disagreement. :rolleyes:

This is a question of morality. If anyone is interested in a weighted argument from both sides, BBC4 recently had one on their moral maze program after the Jo Brand controversy. 

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

So eh, aye. 

Welcome home Jim! f**k all has really changed!!! :lol:

Apart from the fact we are back playing in Premiership, we have a new Chairman, TC is long gone and we have another Championship title in the bag.

Oh and I have a shorter beard

Shocked & amazed you’d respond it me again in disagreement. default_rolleyes.gif

This is a question of morality. If anyone is interested in a weighted argument from both sides, BBC4 recently had one on their moral maze program after the Jo Brand controversy. 

I miss your point...

Yes or no...

If it results in women in the audience distressed and in tears (as I witnessed), is child abuse an acceptable subject for a "joke" in your opinion?

Not Jo Brand's. Yours!

2 hours ago, pod said:

Sorry, but there was no attempt in being funny. That was entirely genuine. I don't see who you could see it any other way. 

Have you never heard of "The Maggie's Centre's".    Where one gets to openly talk about there cancer and not hide from it.  

Sorry, I wasn't talking about your post. :o

I was still wittering on about the other one by FTOF which LPM pounced on. 

I tend to do that sort of thing a lot. :)

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Grown adults know the difference between trying to be funny and trying to discriminate.

The first is deliberately designed to cause laughter, the second deliberately designed to cause pain.

Focus on the INTENT and you'll know where the line is.

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

Really?

And the bit in bold is where he crossed the line because he went from trying to make those people laugh to trying to hurt them.

Anyone who goes to an adult comedy show simply has to accept that they are going to hear stuff which pushes the boundaries of what people find acceptable.

29 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

I miss your point...

Yes or no...

If it results in women in the audience distressed and in tears (as I witnessed), is child abuse an acceptable subject for a "joke" in your opinion?

Not Jo Brand's. Yours!

Yes it's acceptable.

Absolutely 100%.

Remember the INTENTION is to make people laugh not cry.

The alternative is that we make no jokes for fear of upsetting someone somewhere and we all die of boredom.

Edited by oaksoft

39 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

I miss your point...

Yes or no...

Not Jo Brand's. Yours!

Eh it’s not a yes or no answer pal. As I have tried to point out the question on the morality of humour and what subjects can and can’t be joked about is a subjective one. 

Given a very specific example doesn’t change that. For example was it right for Jo Brand to make that joke? Possibly, would it be right to walk up to someone that just had acid thrown in their face & make a joke about it, obviously not. 

Yes it's acceptable.
Absolutely 100%.
Remember the INTENTION is to make people laugh not cry.
The alternative is that we make no jokes for fear of upsetting someone somewhere and we all die of boredom.
I'm all for "adult humour" and pushing boundaries... But I reckon a comedian knows when they are crossing a line between cutting edge and just plain out of order. Frankie Boyle is a great example. He can be hillarious. Outrageously funny... Or just outrageous and out of order.

In the example I gave, I genuinely saw women weeping. That can never be acceptable as a result of failed humour!

5 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

I'm all for "adult humour" and pushing boundaries... But I reckon a comedian knows when they are crossing a line between cutting edge and just plain out of order. Frankie Boyle is a great example. He can be hillarious. Outrageously funny... Or just outrageous and out of order.

In the example I gave, I genuinely saw women weeping. That can never be acceptable as a result of failed humour!

The very nature of attempted humour is that sometimes it works and sometimes it fails. If half the room laughs is it a failure?

It's not his failed humour which has caused her to cry.

It's her reaction to his humour.

You can argue that although you are responsible for your own reactions to things she was maybe caught out by it but there is absolutely no argument for blaming the comedian for her reaction.

I don't understand your point about Boyle at all.

Everyone knows what his brand of humour is like. If you don't like him you have the choice not to watch him. Nobody is forcing anyone to listen to his jokes. BUT to then go to his concerts knowing what he is like and then complain about being offended would makes that person look pretty daft.

Edited by oaksoft

The very nature of attempted humour is that sometimes it works and sometimes it fails. If half the room laughs is it a failure?
It's not his failed humour which has caused her to cry.
It's her reaction to his humour.
You can argue that although you are responsible for your own reactions to things she was maybe caught out by it but there is absolutely no argument for blaming the comedian for her reaction.
I don't understand your point about Boyle at all.
Everyone knows what his brand of humour is like. If you don't like him you have the choice not to watch him. Nobody is forcing anyone to listen to his jokes. BUT to then go to his concerts knowing what he is like and then complain about being offended would makes that person look pretty daft.
Which is why I wouldn't go to a Frankie Boyle gig, much as I appreciate his talent and wit.

The comedian I saw who genuinely upset quite s percentage of the crowd (to the extent of many who didn't walk out audibly jeering) was a support act.

Nobody went to see him by choice.

He knew he was crossing a line and didn't care.

I'm very broad minded with humour... A regular at the Stand, the Fringe and comedy nights... But there ARE limits to acceptable content.

13 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Which is why I wouldn't go to a Frankie Boyle gig, much as I appreciate his talent and wit.

The comedian I saw who genuinely upset quite s percentage of the crowd (to the extent of many who didn't walk out audibly jeering) was a support act.

Nobody went to see him by choice.

He knew he was crossing a line and didn't care.

I'm very broad minded with humour... A regular at the Stand, the Fringe and comedy nights... But there ARE limits to acceptable content.

That bit in bold is fair enough.

This comedian you saw, his career will stand or fall on how he is perceived.

He could become the new Frankie Boyle earning millions, or he could be the new LPM whoring his wares on football forums for cheap laughs and the occasional "like".

That's his risk to take. That risk is big enough without other people trying to tell him what he should and shouldn't talk about.

Anyway, I've run out of logical arguments. My cupboard is bare. :)

Edited by oaksoft