The Jim Goodwin Interviews Thread

41 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Worrying is that he is no longer saying we are close to a signing

If he had said that, then he’d be hostage to the frenzy of speculation that it provoked.

he couldnae win.

(though luckily the team just managed to do so...)

15 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Would not worry too much there will be plenty players left at the end of the window just hope they are good enough. 

There will be plenty of players left at the end of the window, although historically we haven't done all that well in picking up players who could improve us. Last season was perhaps an exception to that rule but that was maybe because Stubbs had made such a mess of the summer window it wasn't too hard to improve on what he bequethed us... Adam Hammill was great but left after 3 months for pastures new, Lyness looked fine when he was called upon but also left in the January window and I think Anton Ferdinand only played 2 more games after re-signing in January.

Players are usually without a club either because of injury problems, attitude problems or they've been released by a club who decided the player didn't live up to expectations.

Goodwin is certainly sounding less hopeful we will have 1 or 2 in before Saturday's game. I do find it odd that having brought Verheydt over the club only now seem to be aware he'd prefer to stay in Holland and his family is settled there!

I'd rather not be faffing around in August and September picking up out of contract players, then waiting fot them to get match fit and then for them to gel with their team mates- you could be looking at mid October before the team are fully up to speed by which point we'd have played 9 or 10 league games.

Alan Gow anyone?

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

6 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

There will be plenty of players left at the end of the window, although historically we haven't done all that well in picking up players who could improve us. Last season was perhaps an exception to that rule but that was maybe because Stubbs had made such a mess of the summer window it wasn't too hard to improve on what he bequethed us... Adam Hammill was great but left after 3 months for pastures new, Lyness looked fine when he was called upon but also left in the January window and I think Anton Ferdinand only played 2 more games after re-signing in January.

Players are usually without a club either because of injury problems, attitude problems or they've been released by a club who decided the player didn't live up to expectations.

Goodwin is certainly sounding less hopeful we will have 1 or 2 in before Saturday's game. I do find it odd that having brought Verheydt over the club only now seem to be aware he'd prefer to stay in Holland and his family is settled there!

I'd rather not be faffing around in August and September picking up out of contract players, then waiting fot them to get match fit and then for them to gel with their team mates- you could be looking at mid October before the team are fully up to speed by which point we'd have played 9 or 10 league games.

Alan Gow anyone?

I agree with you was being a wee bit sarcastic in my post. Also thought Jim had  a disappointment look on his face in that interview. Maybe I'm picking him up wrongly and he is tired.  The situation is far from ideal I feel for Jim. 

58 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I agree with you was being a wee bit sarcastic in my post. Also thought Jim had  a disappointment look on his face in that interview. Maybe I'm picking him up wrongly and he is tired.  The situation is far from ideal I feel for Jim. 

Surely you're not suggesting he was given assurances on budget and signing strategy that havent been met..?

welcome to dealing with the smfc board Jim. You'll know if they don't  like you when all the wee stories to undermine you start appearing in the media.

31 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Surely you're not suggesting he was given assurances on budget and signing strategy that havent been met..?

welcome to dealing with the smfc board Jim. You'll know if they don't  like you when all the wee stories to undermine you start appearing in the media.

You mate would make an idea politician that or a politician secretary/ adviser you have a talent for spinning.  Have you never thought of that direction in your career.  

I noticed JG said he went to watch EK with “Gus.....and sharpey”. Strange how the assistant manager’s name was like an after thought and Gus mentioned straight away. Almost as if Gus is more important when it comes to the managing side of things 

Edited by Big Yards

6 minutes ago, Big Yards said:

I noticed JG said he went to watch EK with “Gus.....and sharpey”. Strange how the assistant manager’s name was like an after thought and Gus mentioned straight away. Almost as if Gus is more important when it comes to the managing side of things 

I think you are guilty of misreading things and a touch of paranoia (spelling?).

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

You mate would make an idea politician that or a politician secretary/ adviser you have a talent for spinning.  Have you never thought of that direction in your career.  

Seriously - you think he would make anything other than a forum negative made up drivel merchant?   😜

28 minutes ago, dumbarton_bud said:

Alan, it's over. It's been over for a while. You were found out and you were sacked. 

Let it go.

Wish it was Alan Stubbs instead of the pillock who posts copious amounts of utter crap just to get attention.  :guinness

3 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Except when your name is Alan Stubbs obviously! emoji1.png

Stubbs took training sessions while not being fit for work (in most people's eyes), blew the budget on duds, fell out with the board, lost the dressing room instantly, showed little interest in the academy players, and was reaching a stage once our epic qualification from the group stages of the League Cup had been achieved where most games were dead and buried before half time.

Perhaps you could go on record about what signs you saw which showed he would turn things around or tell us how long you would have kept him as manager when we couldn't register 1 shot on target at home to a Livingston team who were starting the match below us in the league?

Guest TPAFKATS
Still worrying that he says 4 maybe 5 players needed has Gordon spunked a lot of our budget on paying off Kearney and Heaton?

Or did we over spend last year on the players budget?

2 wingers,left back, center back and 2 strikers I’d say minimum is what we need.

How could he spunk money away paying off a player who wasn't going to feature but we were still paying and a manager who decided he wanted to work closer to home?

7 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Still worrying that he says 4 maybe 5 players needed has Gordon spunked a lot of our budget on paying off Kearney and Heaton?

2 wingers,left back, center back and 2 strikers I’d say minimum is what we need.

Maybe Gordon should be putting his hand in his own pocket given the amount of the clubs cash he's wasted. 

19 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Especially worrying that he says in his interview we need to strengthen upfront.   I would think our priority is to strengthen the defence.