The Jim Goodwin Interviews Thread

How could he spunk money away paying off a player who wasn't going to feature but we were still paying and a manager who decided he wanted to work closer to home?

Simple they pay up the majority of his 2 years he had left and take that out of this years budget do you really think Heaton just walked away when he struggled to get a game for a non league English team last year.

Did Oran enter into an agreement with the club to keep his mouth shut about the goings on just because he wanted to be closer to home .

22 minutes ago, munoz said:

Maybe Gordon should be putting his hand in his own pocket given the amount of the clubs cash he's wasted. 

Should he pay for it out of all the money he has taken out of the club..?  Oh Aye, he does not take any wages for all the hours he gives...

I am not playing the club apologist here, but simply Devil's Advocate.

Sure it is dire right now... I hope the only way from here is up... but someone else can play D.A. on this and say the only way from here is relegation.

What is abundantly clear is we need more than 4 or 5, and they pretty much all have to be a lot better than what we currently have. Especially in terms of chance creation and finishing. Defensively, we are not set for the season ahead either.   Really hoping we have loan deals in place for McAllister, Dreyer, and Popescu signs back on very soon. These over and above the 4 or 5 much better players...

Messrs Scott Fitzpatrick and MacPherson cannot be excused blame for the utter mess we are in the Manager has no scope to mix things up due to the fragility of the squad albeit we should be good enough to comfortably beat a non league side.What on earth has Gus been doing in scouting players why was he is Spain in his tracksuit? Come on Mr Scott give us some answers please.I watched Motherwell last night and they seem to excel in getting really good guys from the English non league at a good age with a point to prove.

Guest TPAFKATS

Simple they pay up the majority of his 2 years he had left and take that out of this years budget do you really think Heaton just walked away when he struggled to get a game for a non league English team last year.

Did Oran enter into an agreement with the club to keep his mouth shut about the goings on just because he wanted to be closer to home .

We had already budgeted to pay Heaton wage for this coming season. Why would we pay more than that upfront? It makes no financial sense to do so.

Guest TPAFKATS
Messrs Scott Fitzpatrick and MacPherson cannot be excused blame for the utter mess we are in the Manager has no scope to mix things up due to the fragility of the squad albeit we should be good enough to comfortably beat a non league side.What on earth has Gus been doing in scouting players why was he is Spain in his tracksuit? Come on Mr Scott give us some answers please.I watched Motherwell last night and they seem to excel in getting really good guys from the English non league at a good age with a point to prove.
Stubbs tried that last season 2/2 failure rate.

I'm not a happy clapper or knicker wetter but I would suggest what what we need aren't world beaters but players who play in the position that we require them to play in, professional footballers who know their jobs, thar way we begin to get the stability we need and can move forward from the currdnt turmoil. I would love to be challenging for top six but with where we are requires us to assemble a team that plays as a team and from which we can build for the future. That is my opinion, no more, no less.

I'm not a happy clapper or knicker wetter but I would suggest what what we need aren't world beaters but players who play in the position that we require them to play in, professional footballers who know their jobs, thar way we begin to get the stability we need and can move forward from the currdnt turmoil. I would love to be challenging for top six but with where we are requires us to assemble a team that plays as a team and from which we can build for the future. That is my opinion, no more, no less.
Agree with the above. However, I fancy that this is far too reasoned and rational post for many on this forum.

19 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Well expressed. 

We had already budgeted to pay Heaton wage for this coming season. Why would we pay more than that upfront? It makes no financial sense to do so.

To save having to pay him a full 2 years wage for sitting on his arse after him failing to get much of a start when he went out on loan last season I doubt there would be much interest on teams willing to take on his contract.

Anyway I’m just speculating as to why goody Said we need less players in than we had last year

There are any number of good reasons why Jim Goodwin might publicly downplay the number of signings we need to make.

Last year our squad was too big. Stubbs wanted rid of over half the players he inherited (after he was sacked he said maybe 3 players were good enough for the premiership) but couldn't offload most of them and made 11 signings on top of Jack Ross's 2 summer signings, and then Oran brought in Ferdinand, Jackson, Lyness and Hammill before the January window - 17 signings before Christmas from 3 different managers. We made another 10 signings in January. 27 new signings in 1 season folks! Last season we had 6 different goalkeepers starting or on the bench over the season.

The best reason, to my mind, for Goodwin signalling he only wants to sign 4-5 more players is he wants to break the trend in the GLS era of signing 27 players in one season and burning through over 80 players in 3 seasons. He's probably being realistic about how few of our contracted players will be easy to shift to other clubs without a financial hit to us. The second half of last season showed us that if the McGinns, Gary MacKenzie, Jack Baird, Kyle Magennis, Ryan Flynn and Danny Mullen have some quality additions alongside them they are serviceable players in the bottom half of the premiership at the minute. They probably aren't able to carry a team with younger inexperienced players though. I'm sure Goodwin will think some of those guys are fine at our level and others he'll move on as contracts end. If he can sign 4-5 mid-table players on top of signing Djorkaeff and Andreu I think we will marginally improve and finish 8th - 10th this season. If our next 4-5 signings are hopeful punts in the dark we are more likely to finish 12th.

Goodwin could well be aware the budget is tighter than we are letting on and trying to lower fans expectations about the number of signings he thinks we can realistically complete before the window closes.

If he came out publicly and said we need 10 new signings, he would be sending out a public vote of no confidence in the players he has inherited. That didn't work well for Stubbs last year (or Terry Butcher at Hibs). If he said we needed 10 new signings and we only made 6 would fans begin to question his ability to identify and persuade players to sign fr us if he fell 4 players short of his announced target number of signings (or alternatively listing a high number of signings could pile pressure on the board or Tony Fitzpatrick or cause tension between himself and the board straight off).

I'm sure Goodwin remembers only too well what happened when Tommy Craig went on holiday and he and Gary Teale brought in the likes of Ross Caldwell, Calum Ball, James Marwood upfront and hopefully he has learned a lesson and is trying to go for quality over quantity... 3 forwards signed in 2014/5 season but none of them were at our level... we'd have been better signing 1 pricey striker for our budget who has half decent than signing 3 cheap options and hoping 1 or 2 of them made the step up! 

The more worrying aspects from Goodwin's interview today are:

Gary MacKenzie has a new (minor) injury - after two games. The good news is he should be ok to play on Tuesday.

There is no sign of any new signings joining before the final League Cup group stage match... and I think there are only about 3 weeks left of the transfer window. Goodwin has also pointed out that other premiership teams have used the league cup group stages to blood youngsters and new signings in and give game time to their squads. We have such a small squad at the minute we are playing virtually the same starting XI, and if we do make another 4-5 signings in this window they'll be trying to get their match fitness and gelling with their new team mates at the outset of the league campaign instead!

50 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The more worrying aspects from Goodwin's interview today are:

Gary MacKenzie has a new (minor) injury - after two games. The good news is he should be ok to play on Tuesday.

There is no sign of any new signings joining before the final League Cup group stage match... and I think there are only about 3 weeks left of the transfer window. Goodwin has also pointed out that other premiership teams have used the league cup group stages to blood youngsters and new signings in and give game time to their squads. We have such a small squad at the minute we are playing virtually the same starting XI, and if we do make another 4-5 signings in this window they'll be trying to get their match fitness and gelling with their new team mates at the outset of the league campaign instead!

Transfer window closes September 2nd

I've said before, the 4-5 new signings chat is a bit concerning but I'm looking at it on the admitted hopeful basis that he wants 4 or 5 actual new, contracted players, not including loans to supplement the squad. 
Clutching a bit, aye but there you go. :lol:

I’m hoping he’s just trying to be kind to the current squad without hurting any feelings saying the complete truth like 10 new faces in would be great because this current mob I’ve inherited are useless.

6 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

I’m hoping he’s just trying to be kind to the current squad without hurting any feelings saying the complete truth like 10 new faces in would be great because this current mob I’ve inherited are useless.

Imo its simply down to money, the way this board have burned through it is astonishing! Again imo Haldky will go in this window bringing in some cash for reinforcements. Trouble is it will be late in the window, and Thommo's take that "we will still be playing catch up at Christmas" might then look overly optimistic...?

all the bullshit about the technical director bringing stability and enabling us to an ahead has been found out big time. We re in the worst shape we have been since Murray was brought in. Ironically posters on here lauded that appointment because his sole success as a manager was not getting Dumbarton relegated from the championship!

i dearly hope this isnt an omen for Goody!

Goodwin is the right appointment but he's had less time to get ready for this new season because yet again we change managers but that's just the way it is.... As i've already stated we need to stay up and stabilise this season. Giving Goodwin a chance by bringing in several new faces is a must!

3 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

Most of these guy's kept us in the league. Quality needs to be added to help and rotate.  That is more or less what Jim is saying , I agree with him.