St Mirren v Rangers (Date Change)

Ronnie

FT 0-1

Played well and done by a wonder free kick in the end. Had a couple of half chances to equalise but scoreline probably fair in the end.

Plenty of positives again though, our opening 3 games have been against 3 of last seasons top 5 and we’ve been well in every game and won 1 of them.

Next 3 are Livi, Ross County and Hamilton, will have a better idea of where we’re at after them.

19 minutes ago, gstretchuk said:

This is fecking gutless a performance as ive seen..

Were you watching the same game? 

Lost no goals from open play. It took a referee decision to deny us a penalty and the depth of the crossbar to deny us a goal. We also missed an excellent chance late on. 

Class goal from a free kick was the difference. We are much better than last season imo. 

Bit of a weird game, they played really well first half. Second half we were a bit disappointing, effort was definitely there. McAllister was great, defence organised, Hladky didn't put a foot wrong. Heads won't go down after that though, came very close to getting a point. 3 winnable games coming up are far more important.

Edited by Doakes

Good defending from a saints team who were up against a team with top quality players. When we had possession we looked calm and competent. We have the makings of a decent team and I don’t feel that we will struggle against teams outside the ugly sisters. Feeling confident about the season ahead. 

We now know we shouldn't fear any of the top 6 as we are capable of soaking up pressure. Need to work on the counter attack part as we don't quite break quick enough and that final pass has to be spot on in this system. Would also like to see us trigger a press a tad earlier as opposed to right on the 18 yard line. We could do with not giving away silly fouls around the box - this can totally undo all the good disciplined defending we do for an hour and sell the game as we seen today.

Would've liked to have seen Obika left up for more of an outball - having said that we seriously restricted Rangers so defensively our tactic worked.

Now onto playing teams around us, will be interesting to see how we set up against them, we should have nothing to fear.

Refereeing as always thoroughly inept and sided towards one of the cheeks.

Final point, with UEFA closing part of Greyskull this week hopefully the SFA will act on the singing we heard for 90 minutes, along with the customary pitch invasion we've came to expect. Get them playing behind closed doors until they can act as normal members of society.

Edited by W6Saint

5 minutes ago, delpierro said:

When the opposition full-backs are playing as wingers then you know you're defending too deep.
We sacrificed our midfield to pack out the defence.
If a paying customers, you would feel short- changed watching Saints, today.

What a lot of garbage.

Next time we'll set up 3-4-3 and lose 5-0 but at least we'll get value for money, eh?

7 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

What a lot of garbage.

Next time we'll set up 3-4-3 and lose 5-0 but at least we'll get value for money, eh?

It's not a guarantee we'd lose if we'd set out to try to win.

I can see why some teams set up the way we did, damage limitation, although I'm not a fan.

It's up to the manager, the way we played to day we were unlikely, although not impossible, to win.

We could just as easily lost 2 or 3 nil today, would that have been acceptable?

Hey ho, let's see how we get on the next 3 games, there's been little expectation the last 3.   

23 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

Whilst nobody put in an overly terrible performance i'm not quite sure that's accurate. Gave the ball away a bit and doesn't look quite sharp enough to start games yet. That run to win a corner after he came on was great though

Got to the by-line a few times, won a few corners, took pressure off the defence, nearly set up a goal for Junior. I'd say that was a very good performance considering he's not been playing much recently

20 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It's not a guarantee we'd lose if we'd set out to try to win.

I can see why some teams set up the way we did, damage limitation, although I'm not a fan.

It's up to the manager, the way we played to day we were unlikely, although not impossible, to win.

We could just as easily lost 2 or 3 nil today, would that have been acceptable?

Hey ho, let's see how we get on the next 3 games, there's been little expectation the last 3.   

I think we play really well in this counter attacking shape and we will win games. No problem letting teams flaff about right up to the half way line. Aberdeen's two centre backs must have hit about 60 sideways passes to each other against us as we shut down their midfield. We have played 2 very decent sides and a right good one today. Rangers pushed us back very deep but we stayed in shape and looked composed for the most part. Looking forward to this season immensely. Really hoping we hump Accies and the Fakes. It's been a long time coming.

Edited by magnus

We did well in preventing them from scoring in open play but I thought we defended too deep allowing them long periods of possession. In doing that it would be only a matter of time before they would score.  When we went one behind we did open up and made the game much more competitive and we could have scored given the limited chances we had.  I always feel the best method of defence is attack.  

Three games in and we are significantly better than anyone probably thought when we were toiling in the League Cup.

Goody has us well organised and compact. There’s a dig about this team that I really like and I think we have a real chance to challenge for the “top” of the bottom 6 this season.

Only 1 goal conceded from open play in 3 games against some of the better sides in the league. Let’s see if we can remain as defensively stout whilst being more adventurous over the next 3 games.

Christ almighty, any team can play 11 men in defence and make it hard to score against them.
This f**kin' acceptance of defeat before a ball is kicked is pissing me aff. [emoji35]

If it’s that easy then how do you explain all the f**king thrashings that teams routinely get when playing the best sides?

We won’t play the same way against the teams around us but if we play like this against the better sides, keep it close and have a chance to take something from the game then I’m ok with it.

The alternative is that you open up, have a go and leave gaps that the good sides will exploit and punish you.