St Mirren v Rangers (Date Change)

Ronnie

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Way too early to think that without any evidence to back it up unless you've seen/studied all the other teams? 

By the end of September we'll have played 3 teams we hope to be above come the end of the season.

Fingers crossed we've picked up more points by that stage. 

Just my gut feeling that the Dons, Killie and Hibs wont get anywhere near the points level they got last season.  

1 hour ago, guinness said:

Am I the only one who thought the goalie could have done better at the goal? Thought we did ok but overly defensive. Mind if Morris had buried his sitter would have been delighted.

Yes, I would say you are the only one.

We now know we shouldn't fear any of the top 6 as we are capable of soaking up pressure. Need to work on the counter attack part as we don't quite break quick enough and that final pass has to be spot on in this system. Would also like to see us trigger a press a tad earlier as opposed to right on the 18 yard line. We could do with not giving away silly fouls around the box - this can totally undo all the good disciplined defending we do for an hour and sell the game as we seen today.
Would've liked to have seen Obika left up for more of an outball - having said that we seriously restricted Rangers so defensively our tactic worked.
Now onto playing teams around us, will be interesting to see how we set up against them, we should have nothing to fear.
Refereeing as always thoroughly inept and sided towards one of the cheeks.
Final point, with UEFA closing part of Greyskull this week hopefully the SFA will act on the singing we heard for 90 minutes, along with the customary pitch invasion we've came to expect. Get them playing behind closed doors until they can act as normal members of society.
Greyskull...FFS

Two big decisions in the game went against us today. We should have had a penalty first half and there should have been a free kick for us before Waters fouled Defoe for Rangers goal.

Another day one or both of them goes for us and we get something from the game.

er, no, not against the Old Firm they don’t

Another day against Sevco, any day, and both decisions go against us. Without exception

49 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Most negative st Mirren ‘fans’ ever. What do you even bother? 

If your happy to accept losing before a ball is kicked u happy clap all the way to school today...I'm a winner, i don't roll into a ball and accept a kicking...that team today was set up not to lose that game and damage limitation...As for Goodwin saying we fear no one, my arse..shat it yesterday!

4 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

If your happy to accept losing before a ball is kicked u happy clap all the way to school today...I'm a winner, i don't roll into a ball and accept a kicking...that team today was set up not to lose that game and damage limitation...As for Goodwin saying we fear no one, my arse..shat it yesterday!

It's the style of football that we are likely to play. Solid defensively, busy in Midfield. Hitting on the break. Two quick wingers. Big front player to hold the ball when asked. Final part of the jigsaw is someone quick in a strikers role. This should mean tight and competitive games, narrow wins and a number of draws but overall fewer losses imo. 

I was actually pleased we didn't go charging up the pitch looking for an equaliser , we had to keep it tight , with a view of going for it in the last ten minutes , when the winning team maybe get a wee bit nervous , a plan that almost payed off . We do probably miss a long throw expert , and whenever we have two players up front we should maybe take more of s risk and hit the odd long ball , but it n general I thought we played well . 

5 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Time for me to use the Ignore facility on the forum for the first time. 

I think that game showed a few things, our limitations, Goodwin's tactics and what to expect going forward.

you can suggest we 'look good' till the cows come home, the fact is we had one chance on target, and a fluker hit the bar, and that was a home game with  reputedly a better side? We had to defend for almost all the 90 mins, with McKenze/ McLoughlin having most of our possession.

our midfield could barely get on the ball, meaning our forwards never saw it either. Durmus turned into 'Dormouse' he hardly made a squeak! Did he get injured, or just struggle with the occasion? He never took on a single player.

McAllister had a bit more intent about him, and did run into positions to try and give the defence an out. He was practically on his own in that regard. Obika did all the hard work by running back to help throughout, but when he got back, he simply didnt get stuck in.

and to see us trying to salvage something by throwing Mullen at them really showed its going to be a very long season again. If we perform so poorly trying to play that counter attack game at home, will it be better away, or against better teams?

yesterday. That performance bordered on anti football, its not a style that will put bums on seats if there is no end result. Is this how Goody got Alloa up? Its a stark comparison ti the pressing game Kearney got us playing gowards the end of last season when we went eight games undefeated.

big test against Livi coming up, they have had a decent start, and have recently been difficult for us in the early part of the season. A result is needed to stay in the pack.

Edit: official attendance given as 7330... really? A lot of empty spaces obvious on the telly in the main stand. Was the west completely full? Or is the club now doing a celtic and counting ST holders as attended wether they have or havent?

Edited by Lord Pityme

11 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I think that game showed a few things, our limitations, Goodwin's tactics and what to expect going forward.

you can suggest we 'look good' till the cows come home, the fact is we had one chance on target, and a fluker hit the bar, and that was a home game with  reputedly a better side? We had to defend for almost all the 90 mins, with McKenze/ McLoughlin having most of our possession.

our midfield could barely get on the ball, meaning our forwards never saw it either. Durmus turned into 'Dormouse' he hardly made a squeak! Did he get injured, or just struggle with the occasion? He never took on a single player.

McAllister had a bit more intent about him, and did run into positions to try and give the defence an out. He was practically on his own in that regard. Obika did all the hard work by running back to help throughout, but when he got back, he simply didnt get stuck in.

and to see us trying to salvage something by throwing Mullen at them really showed its going to be a very long season again. If we perform so poorly trying to play that counter attack game at home, will it be better away, or against better teams?

yesterday. That performance bordered on anti football, its not a style that will put bums on seats if there is no end result. Is this how Goody got Alloa up? Its a stark comparison ti the pressing game Kearney got us playing gowards the end of last season when we went eight games undefeated.

big test against Livi coming up, they have had a decent start, and have recently been difficult for us in the early part of the season. A result is needed to stay in the pack.

It was like watching a Gus performance again....utter shitebaggery!

My take is that it was a game of big positives and big negatives.

The obvious positive was how well drilled in the defensive area we were. It was such a refreshing change to see that in comparison to the shambles of recent times. The fact that the (comfortably) second best team in the country could only score against us with a free kick, has to be a positive. Also in Hladky we have such a prize asset and I pray we can hold onto him through the next few days. Every aspect of his game is superb but his distribution is unbelievable. 

As for the negatives, for me it wasn’t so much attacking intent that was the problem. I just think when we had the opportunities to break, we executed poorly. We gave the ball away too cheaply and not always through just hoofing it up the park as has been suggested. Rangers pressed us in midfield the way we should’ve been pressing them and for the most part we couldn’t handle it. That part of our game must improve, but I remain quietly confident that we are improved and will do much better against lesser teams. As FS said, we have games coming up that will give us a much clearer picture of where we are. 

Rangers were much better than us yesterday. That’s the top and bottom of it. 

For most of last season we were so dire in defence that we were well beaten before the half time whistle.

Three league games into this season, all of them fixtures against big clubs, and our defence still hasn't conceded a goal before half time.

We are definitely heading in the right direction under Jim Goodwin.

8 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Stopped Sevco scoring from open play, his the woodwork, decent penalty shout and a sitter missed. Nothing but positivity from yesterday’s game.