St Mirren v Rangers (Date Change)

Ronnie

2 minutes ago, DLBud said:

If it’s that easy then how do you explain all the f**king thrashings that teams routinely get when playing the best sides?

We won’t play the same way against the teams around us but if we play like this against the better sides, keep it close and have a chance to take something from the game then I’m ok with it.

The alternative is that you open up, have a go and leave gaps that the good sides will exploit and punish you.

Or we could win the game? 

22 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

We did well in preventing them from scoring in open play but I thought we defended too deep allowing them long periods of possession. In doing that it would be only a matter of time before they would score.  When we went one behind we did open up and made the game much more competitive and we could have scored given the limited chances we had.  I always feel the best method of defence is attack.  

Not really how I saw it. I thought the first half performance was fairly good, but our response to going behind and much of the 2nd half was disappointing. I would have expected to see a lot more urgency when chasing the game.

In general though Goodwin is setting us up to try and play fast, counter attacking football and to move the ball quickly. I have no problem with us sitting deep as long as we are attacking with intent and purpose once we win it back.

Or we could win the game? 

No mate, if you play the percentage game we’d lose more than we’d win and a horsing, even against a good team, can be damaging for morale.

Like I said, we won’t set up like that against the teams around us in the league and we’ll bother those teams with the quality we have.

Just now, DLBud said:

No mate, if you play the percentage game we’d lose more than we’d win and a horsing, even against a good team, can be damaging for morale.

Like I said, we won’t set up like that against the teams around us in the league and we’ll bother those teams with the quality we have.

Didn't we have a more positive set up against Aberdeen?

Hey, I get what you're saying, I just don't happen to agree but it's a fine line.

The percentage game is fine but usually results in defeats like today.

As Kemp mentioned above, we never looked like trying to go forward on the break, if that was the plan.

As has been mentioned, the next 3 games are very different, and that brings more pressure with expectation. 

We defended well for the most part today. On a couple of occasions Tavernier was allowed to sling crosses in too easily and things like that, but we were most very good at the back.

I have no idea whether Rangers always play like this but they put a lot of pressure on our defence when we were looking to play out from the back.  We didn't *always* deal well with that, and Callum Waters got into trouble a couple of times in particular. Normally, you'd not want the team launching the ball aimlessly up the field but he'd have been better served doing that on occasion, even to give our team ten seconds to regain its shape. I think at one point in the first half Hladky was trying to impress this upon him.

While I got the reason for our cautious approach, I think we showed them a bit too much respect in how deep we played. They got their winner in the end, of course, but they actually lacked creativity. Moreover, their full backs didn't look like they enjoyed being got at any more than ours did, and McAllister looked to have the beating of Barisic. 

So I'd have liked to have seen us have a bit more of a go at times. I don't think Rangers are all *that* clever defensively and Tavernier basically plays as a right winger most of the time....if we could have gotten balls over the top there to a speedy winger, we could have had some joy. 

We also seemed unwilling to push up sometimes when there was a chance for a counter attack, the team lacked movement in those instances and I felt like Andreu in particular needed to do more to link up in that respect.

No disgrace or anything, but we were in the game and could have taken something had we been willing to attack a little more quickly before the last 15 minutes.

On Morias, probably should be scored but at least he was in the right position which shows he can sniff out a chance. Made a chance for himself and showed ability to win a free kick with his strength in holding the ball up. It's just a personal thing but if the manager is going to ask the striker to sit deep in these games, I would prefer him or Mullen up front rather than Obika, just because I feel the smaller players are more able to rush around and harry the other team's defenders. Jury's out on games where we have more of the ball though - unclear who's going to be the best goalscorer and take their chances!

2 minutes ago, paul torfason said:

A think we look good  from back to middle but really think we would benefit a striker coach for 4/6weeks to get front players up to scratch, obviously goody and sharp were defensive players, so was wondering who actually trains the strikers??

A job for the Hawk perhaps? Part time or even better paid hee haw 😉

I think over all we defended very very well, but the tatics were a little too defensive. I really felt we could have hurt them if we had got at them a bit more. I would like to see us with McAllister and Durmus on the park at the same time. 

As for individual performances..... 

I thought only Andreu had quite a poor game. Waters looked a bit nervous in possession and I sometimes  felt like he was going to misplace his pass or get caught. He played well defensively though. 

As for everyone else, they all put in a great shift. The standouts probably being Hladky, McKenzie, Foley and Flynn. 

Next week I would definitely like to see McAllister start instead of Andreu. 

Thought we played well today and for the most part , weren't really troubled. We now look very organised and have a look of team that won't lose many goals. If we can start taking our chances when they come along,  we could be in for a decent season. 

If we are indeed looking at bringing in another striker,  I can see us possibly playing with 2 upfront in certain matches. 

3 good performance in the league so far and far more positives than negatives. 

1 minute ago, munoz said:

Thought we played well today and for the most part , weren't really troubled. We now look very organised and have a look of team that won't lose many goals. If we can start taking our chances when they come along,  we could be in for a decent season. 

If we are indeed looking at bringing in another striker,  I can see us possibly playing with 2 upfront in certain matches. 

3 good performance in the league so far and far more positives than negatives. 

Are we?

Thought that, before we signed Morias, the talk was of "one or two more" players coming in.

Though a striker with a proven scoring record would be brilliant and so is always welcome, we badly need full back cover (and maybe another central defender).

2 minutes ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Why was Ryan Jack given the Freedom of Paisley today?
Thinks he is a quarterback but not that good thankfully for us.

Definitely invited them on a bit too much.

Were not punished because they lacked the creativity required to break us down. Everything came from the wings, mainly Tavernier.

A think we look good  from back to middle but really think we would benefit a striker coach for 4/6weeks to get front players up to scratch, obviously goody and sharp were defensive players, so was wondering who actually trains the strikers??

Jason Scotland was interested in that role.
I contacted the club on his behalf as an introduction to let them know of his interest. However, this was before Kearney departed (late June) so nothing ever came of it. In fact, the club never even got back to him.

How would you have set the team up today?
Rangers pushed deep in to our half, ergo when we win the ball the full backs should be bursting a gut to go wide and receive the ball. This would draws Rangers defence wide, that's when our midfield should be bursting a gut to go thru the middle.
What we actually did:
Win ball, kick it tae f**k, re-group for 2nd onslaught.
Goodwin, played a defensive game today, that's understandable, but truth be told, East Fife, gave Rangers more opposition last weekend.
How many gutless performances have we witness at Home against the Old Firm.
You know what, I'll f**kin take a 3-5 home defeat, because I've seen a 7-0 away defeat against the Old Firm, when we've parked the bus.
I need more coffee!!!
SMTID [emoji6]

5 minutes ago, delpierro said:

Rangers pushed deep in to our half, ergo when we win the ball the full backs should be bursting a gut to go wide and receive the ball. This would draws Rangers defence wide, that's when our midfield should be bursting a gut to go thru the middle.
What we actually did:
Win ball, kick it tae f**k, re-group for 2nd onslaught.
Goodwin, played a defensive game today, that's understandable, but truth be told, East Fife, gave Rangers more opposition last weekend.
How many gutless performances have we witness at Home against the Old Firm.
You know what, I'll f**kin take a 3-5 home defeat, because I've seen a 7-0 away defeat against the Old Firm, when we've parked the bus.
I need more coffee!!!
SMTID emoji6.png

Rome wasn't built in a day Del,  Goody's just in the door he's trying to build a team and a bit of momentum i think he's doing that, the next few games am sure we will try to be more on the front foot, but the teams we play will know that and try to exploit that,  there's no easy games for us in this league we will have to work our socks off for every point we get. 

30 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

Jason Scotland was interested in that role.
I contacted the club on his behalf as an introduction to let them know of his interest. However, this was before Kearney departed (late June) so nothing ever came of it. In fact, the club never even got back to him.

A personally think this is something we should be looking at,a remember years ago James Grady was a striker coach before getting job with SFA,and a think a read somewhere allan Russell was striker coach with England international team,even ask him to come for 2 week gig

4 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Were you watching the same game? 

Lost no goals from open play. It took a referee decision to deny us a penalty and the depth of the crossbar to deny us a goal. We also missed an excellent chance late on. 

Class goal from a free kick was the difference. We are much better than last season imo. 

At what point until last 5 minutes did we try to win game..sat back and waited for inevitable to happen...was damage limitation from start.. feck knows where goals are coming from cause Obika is pish and wee dude missed a sitter!

Edited by gstretchuk