Qarabag make offer for Hladky

22 minutes ago, Nigerian Panda said:

1.5m ?? Try 15m how much has he done keeping us in the top flight! ... 

Done the job he was paid to do. 

Actually, illegally saved penalties by not being on his line. 

Sell him, and bring back Shut out King and Hall of Famer, the Ginger Cat, 

CRAIGY SAMSON. 

1 hour ago, Big Yards said:

Apparently the Azerbaijan club have tabled an offer to sign Hladky. Not good news if they have, seem to have a lot of money and we’re renowned for selling players for peanuts 

Yeah.

That £1 million we received in transfer fees for McGinn is peanuts to us.:whistle

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Yeah.

That £1 million we received in transfer fees for McGinn is peanuts to us.:whistle

We relied on McGinn getting a big move from Hibs. If he hadn’t we would’ve made peanuts just like we did with McLean and Morgan. All Scotland internationals now.

Motherwell were about to get 3 million for one of their 19 year olds. Couldn’t see us demanding that sort of fee for anyone!

Edited by Big Yards

10 minutes ago, Big Yards said:

We relied on McGinn getting a big move from Hibs. If he hadn’t we would’ve made peanuts just like we did with McLean and Morgan. All Scotland internationals now.

Motherwell were about to get 3 million for one of their 19 year olds. Couldn’t see us demanding that sort of fee for anyone!

We got more money out of our McGinn deal than we ever would have with a straight transfer fee. McGinn was far from the finished player when he left us.

Motherwell nearly (but didn't) got £3million, because the player was in demand and he is a creative goal scoring midfielder.

Despite our fan's valuations of our players, there are very few of our players who have been sold, who have been sought after by several clubs.

The only player that I reckon might have been worth more than we let him go for is Kenny McLean, and the circumstances regarding that fee have been well documented in the past.

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

I'd be disappointed if this turns out to me more than speculation.

Possibly the best player we've signed for many a year.

Good goalkeepers are very hard to find and are worth plenty of points, especially a team that will be fighting for survival. 

Translation..."St. Mirren received an offer for VACLAV HLADKÝ! Azerbaijan champion FK Karabach showed great interest in the Czech goalkeeper.

If this is in fact the case, we shouldn't be looking at anything lower than high end six figures.

Massively important player to us and if we do sell, it must be for a high price given that the buying club certainly have the resources to cough up if they want him.

None of this 'take 200k and run, he's only got a year left and we got him on a freebie anyway' nonsense.

I'd rather keep him for another year and use the time to source out a replacement than lose him for a pishy wee amount.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

We got more money out of our McGinn deal than we ever would have with a straight transfer fee. McGinn was far from the finished player when he left us.

Motherwell nearly (but didn't) got £3million, because the player was in demand and he is a creative goal scoring midfielder.

Despite our fan's valuations of our players, there are very few of our players who have been sold, who have been sought after by several clubs.

The only player that I reckon might have been worth more than we let him go for is Kenny McLean, and the circumstances regarding that fee have been well documented in the past.

McGinn is worth about 15m now (quoted 40m in the press the other week but I'll ignore that). The jump in his value from us to Hibs two years later seemed absurd to me. We could certainly have got a lot more for McGinn, McLean, Mallan and Morgan. I don't see any argument with the original point in the thread that clubs get a reputation of being easy or difficult to deal with, and have a reputation for being mega rich or broke, or something in between. We need to move away from the "full house" reputation of easy to deal with, broke, and run by a circus troupe.

12 minutes ago, Kemp said:

McGinn is worth about 15m now (quoted 40m in the press the other week but I'll ignore that). The jump in his value from us to Hibs two years later seemed absurd to me. We could certainly have got a lot more for McGinn, McLean, Mallan and Morgan. I don't see any argument with the original point in the thread that clubs get a reputation of being easy or difficult to deal with, and have a reputation for being mega rich or broke, or something in between. We need to move away from the "full house" reputation of easy to deal with, broke, and run by a circus troupe.

We'll agree to differ.:)

25 minutes ago, Kemp said:

We could certainly have got a lot more for McGinn, McLean, Mallan and Morgan.

We could have received more for Morgan, but we also got lucky with what we did get - Celtic could easily have just signed him on a pre contract, and part of the arrangement was that we got him back on loan. His efforts to get us promoted may have been worth more than the extra money we could have received, and that’s if Celtic would have been willing to pay that much extra for a player soon to be out of contract.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

None of this 'take 200k and run, he's only got a year left and we got him on a freebie anyway' nonsense.

Hopefully we hold out for a decent amount. We fine well know Hladky will not be here next season (unless he turns to pish), so it’s a matter of getting a solid offer or having a quality keeper for the season.

17 minutes ago, JM1 said:

I'd rather we kept Hladky for the season and let him leave for nothing rather than accept a few hundred grand.

Hes that good.

He could be the difference in retaining premier league status and that sure is worth more than 200K  or figures around that

4 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

We could have received more for Morgan, but we also got lucky with what we did get - Celtic could easily have just signed him on a pre contract, and part of the arrangement was that we got him back on loan. His efforts to get us promoted may have been worth more than the extra money we could have received, and that’s if Celtic would have been willing to pay that much extra for a player soon to be out of contract.

The money Celtic paid was roughly what we would have been owed in the summer if he moved there at the end of his contract (effectively the same as having him back on loan) anyway given his age and how development fees work.

There wasn’t a scenario where they’d have got him for less or we could have gotten more regardless of loan back/ pre-contracts. 

4 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Hopefully we hold out for a decent amount. We fine well know Hladky will not be here next season (unless he turns to pish), so it’s a matter of getting a solid offer or having a quality keeper for the season.

Agreed, I hope we get a good bit of money if he is to move on. High end six figures would be decent. 

2 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

Be very surprised if we don’t sell if we get a bid of £200,000+ , last year of his contract and free to talk to other clubs next January and a slim chance he would sign an extension.

See this is exactly the reason we’re pushovers as a club. It’s not worth losing our top keeper for 200k

5 hours ago, Big Yards said:

See this is exactly the reason we’re pushovers as a club. It’s not worth losing our top keeper for 200k

Will we have to play the whole Season with 10 men and no fecking goalie ?

Hibs did not make McGinn a 15m player. That was done by the BT and Sky money pumped into the English game.

While I agree it would be better to to get more money for players I'm not sure there is much we can do. We are hamstrung by length of contract rules and the fact young players rarely want to sign a second or third contract with us.

McLean kept signing contracts until he was too old to get us a development fee.

McGinn had let his contact run down, he then had a honking season with us. Whilst most of us had seen potential in his earlier career his third season was so poor was he really deserving of us breaking the bank to try to keep him. In hindsight yes at the time not really.

Mallan, Mccalister and Morgan all left (from the Championship) with around 3-6 months left on their contracts. They had all been offered new deals but they were also being influenced by the very ambitious Jack Ross.

I'm not sure what else could have been done. Offer bigger salaries to the younger players problem there is the risk they go all Billy big bawz as they are earning more than other experienced players.