Qarabag make offer for Hladky

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

There were days when we broke the Scottish transfer market. There were other days when we out bid both Celtic and Aberdeen to bring back Tony Fitzpatrick.  

Unfortunately those days are gone now. 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Not really as we've always been a selling team.

Not a lot we can do about, too many big fish I'm afraid. 

Every team in Scotland is a selling team- some teams are better at it than others.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I know what you are both saying and yes, we’ve always been a selling club, but in the old days we enjoyed those better players for longer. 

That's because there wasn't the wage differential that you see today.

20 minutes ago, munoz said:

Unfortunately those days are gone now. 

Every team in Scotland is a selling team- some teams are better at it than others.

Yes we have shrunk some what. On a brighter note our gates expanded at the end of last season the first time I have seen that out with the  late 70's early 80's. Goodwin will do well to get them back. If we ( could ) average 7,000 home fans we could easily be more competitive. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

8 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

In all seriousness, Qarabag is a FAR bigger shop window for him than us. Surprised he might stay ......................

Even if he wants a move to England as reported? I'm not so sure. A decent performance against either of the ugly sisters would surely attract attention. 

14 minutes ago, Ethan said:

We can have the best keeper in the world but if our defence is poor it wont make a lot of difference. I would take as much money as possible and use it to improve the team. We can pick up a good keeper on a loan or a free. 

We had a brilliant defence a couple of years ago and the worst goalie in the world. 

We won the title. 

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Yes we have shrunk some what. On a brighter note our gates expanded at the end of last season the first time I have seen that out with the  late 70's early 80's. Goodwin will do well to get them back. If we ( could ) average 7,000 home fans we could easily be more competitive. 

It's a bit of a catch 22 though. Success would bring more supporters/ more supporters would hopefully result in better players and then some higher league finishes. 

Another thing that worries me in this is that Lyness resigned for Saints He left last year dropping two divisions because he wanted to be a starter Yet he signed here with Hladky ahead of him? Does he know something?

42 minutes ago, melmac said:

If the board decide Hladky is away, then we are going to be in a significantly worse position than we ended the season, quelle surprise. I don't see this season as anything other than a complete struggle.

Don’t see that as necessarily the case. January showed to everyone that the structure in place with Gus has the potential to be a success.

If we can get a good replacement (people also maybe forgetting the promise Lynness showed in his few games) then we have a six figure sum to strengthen the squad/ other financial requirement of the team long term.

We still have a fair amount of time to strengthen the team before the league starts & should have enough to get out this league cup group. A six figure sum could very easily put us in a stronger position given the average wages we pay. 

12 minutes ago, Danny said:

Another thing that worries me in this is that Lyness resigned for Saints He left last year dropping two divisions because he wanted to be a starter Yet he signed here with Hladky ahead of him? Does he know something?

He knew the same as absolutely everyone else did when he signed, that interest in Hladky this summer would be inevitable. 

Don’t see that as necessarily the case. January showed to everyone that the structure in place with Gus has the potential to be a success.
If we can get a good replacement (people also maybe forgetting the promise Lynness showed in his few games) then we have a six figure sum to strengthen the squad/ other financial requirement of the team long term.
We still have a fair amount of time to strengthen the team before the league starts & should have enough to get out this league cup group. A six figure sum could very easily put us in a stronger position given the average wages we pay. 
For me, Lyness was signed as a replacement in case we received an offer we couldn't refuse for Hladky.
I hope he stays. I hope he wants to stay, but if he does go then at least lets get a decent fee for him.
(Enough to bring Popescu back and some)

12 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

For me, Lyness was signed as a replacement in case we received an offer we couldn't refuse for Hladky.
I hope he stays. I hope he wants to stay, but if he does go then at least lets get a decent fee for him.
(Enough to bring Popescu back and some)

Imagine it would be round about that level but I still don’t see them spending such a large chunk on a single player. Say we got £500k (maybe a bit optimistic) i’d Rather that was used over 3-5 players to boost the squad with some of it saved. 

Regardless, having interest in our players isn’t a bad position to be in. 

6 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Imagine it would be round about that level but I still don’t see them spending such a large chunk on a single player. Say we got £500k (maybe a bit optimistic) i’d Rather that was used over 3-5 players to boost the squad with some of it saved. 

Agree with you on that. 

21 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Another way of looking at it is , investing the money in 3 - 5 players with a view of finding and couple of other gems , with a view of selling them on . And hopefully build a stronger team in the process .

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Hladky will be away either this summer for a fee or next summer for nothing. Likely sign a PCA in January if he doesn’t go now.

Dilemma for the board, take the money or keep the player for a year and then lose him for nothing.

Not a dilemma at all if you bothered to read what has been posted, my thoughts and those of several others are he is worth more to the club if he can help us stay in this league as opposed to say £300k in cash. Which; monetarily has the greatest value do you think?

2 hours ago, MarkCorrigan said:

If he can be kept, we should do so unless:

i) the amount offered outweighs the risks of financial loss through being relegated and/or the board thinks we have sufficient quality to stay up even if he leaves;

ii) we think we can source someone of the same quality in time for the start of the league season.

Obviously immaterial if any release clause he might have is so low that any serious suitors will meet it with ease.

I'm thinking that perhaps he doesn't have a release clause, or if he does; it's not set at silly money (since apparently we turned down £200K) That being the case we  should try and keep him.

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

There were days when we broke the Scottish transfer market. There were other days when we out bid both Celtic and Aberdeen to bring back Tony Fitzpatrick.  

Those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end

we'd sing and dance forever and a day

we'd live the life we choose we'd fight and never lose 

those were the days oh yes those were the days

etc etc

Not a dilemma at all if you bothered to read what has been posted, my thoughts and those of several others are he is worth more to the club if he can help us stay in this league as opposed to say £300k in cash. Which; monetarily has the greatest value do you think?
Whilst I agree with your point...
This board will take the easy money every time!

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Perhaps, but then again another keeper is going to see 'quality' and might just take a chance on thinking someone is going to offer more than the Saints can turn down and much as I think keeping him is a no brainer .......even if he leaves for free at seasons end.............  I can almost guarantee the B.O.D.. won't think that way.........