The Gordon Scott Appreciation Thread

It should have been sorted the last day [of the season]."”

Scott thought a deal had been struck during the campaign - which culminated in St Mirren winning the Premiership play-off final against Dundee United on penalties - and considered the issue "resolved".”

Sounds to me like the boss is blaming the colleague. GLS should have had this sorted, he’s the man running the club. Here he’s basically admitting he made an assumption that was proved wrong.

Mistakes happen but it appears he’s trying to shift the blame.

In regards to commuting, if Oran was paying for daily flights, would it matter as long as he was there every day, on time and not leaving early? By all means if Oran expected the club to pay for his commute then I will back the club, but if it’s his own pocket does it really matter where he lives?

12 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

It should have been sorted the last day [of the season]."”

Scott thought a deal had been struck during the campaign - which culminated in St Mirren winning the Premiership play-off final against Dundee United on penalties - and considered the issue "resolved".”

Sounds to me like the boss is blaming the colleague. GLS should have had this sorted, he’s the man running the club. Here he’s basically admitting he made an assumption that was proved wrong.

Mistakes happen but it appears he’s trying to shift the blame.

In regards to commuting, if Oran was paying for daily flights, would it matter as long as he was there every day, on time and not leaving early? By all means if Oran expected the club to pay for his commute then I will back the club, but if it’s his own pocket does it really matter where he lives?

This was discussed in great detail when this story broke, oh and by The Sun. 

The time taken to do this would, IMO, make this an impossible situation and I don't believe for one second this was the real issue. 

Edited by faraway saint

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

This was discussed in great detail when this story broke, oh and by The Sun. 

The time taken to do this would, IMO, make this an impossible situation and I don't believe it for one second this was the real issue. 

It would not surprise me at all if you were right here. It would be interesting to know Oran’s side of the story.

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

It would not surprise me at all if you were right here. It would be interesting to know Oran’s side of the story.

Probably too dignified for that. Tbh Ok said more in what he didn't say in his statement on Twitter. 

I'll take this with a pinch of salt. Scott has had plenty of time to speak out about the OK debacle. Worst kept secret? yet he complains about the timing? If any of this was true he should have nipped it in the bud. If the secret wasn't a secret then why did Scott allow things to go so far? Why didn't he get on with the recruitment IN SPITE OF, (his words), who the manager was at the time? 

1 hour ago, The Original 59er said:

Get this post off the website. It's not that it is news, it's not...…………. in the same way that the Belfast News story quoting OK wasn't news, but a one sided version of events.

It's all old news get this p*sh kicked into touch please. 😡

What post you talking about? 

Your own ? 

This is an appreciation Thread for our great Chairman. 

What are you on about ? 

I couldn’t really careless about it anymore but all I got from what Scott was saying was what I already thought he was fed up with Oran missing his family and wanted shot knew goody would be wanting the job so went for him.

Oran is class act and done a brilliant job with what he was given shame it ended the way it did but that’s what happens maybe with a ruthless chairman we have goody now as manager let’s hope he gets the backing now Oran should have had.

4 hours ago, Doakes said:

Why did he choose the S*n to speak to about it? Wish the club would stop talking to journalists who work for that shit rag

Bit weird to come out with it just as Goodwin has been "unveiled" 

Meh

We move on

Because a Sun journalist close to the club was tweeting that Oran wanted to commute daily from Northern Ireland? Just a guess.

It's a pity most news stories like this one these days are just quotes from the interviewee with a few linking sentences contributed by the journalist. Very few people believe Oran wanted to commute every day... driving from his home to the airport, waiting at the airport check in for his flight, flying into Glasgow and then driving to Ralston and arriving before the players for training, taking training, dealing with recruitment, scouting, media work and then travelling home with 2 drives, another check in and flight to spend how many hours with his kids before they get to bed? And then there is the cost of a daily commute. Or matchdays... is GLS seriously claiming that Oran wanted to fly home on the night before a match and risk missing a match if flights were delayed on matchday.

Scott's "interview" is conveniently timed to be published after Coleraine have re-appointed Kearney as their manager.

His claims that it was Oran's choice to go don't appear to be backed up by the club telling him not to turn up at pre-season training or being gutted or having begun re-signing guys like Gary MacKenzie and Dean Lyness at the end of last season.

It's quite spineless for GLS to give this "interview" while gagging Oran Kearney from speaking about his departure... I think it was quite clear from Oran's interview for BBC NI when he was unveiled as Coleraine manager that he couldn't speak about his departure from St Mirren that it wasn't something which had been planned long ago.

It's a pity most news stories like this one these days are just quotes from the interviewee with a few linking sentences contributed by the journalist. Very few people believe Oran wanted to commute every day... driving from his home to the airport, waiting at the airport check in for his flight, flying into Glasgow and then driving to Ralston and arriving before the players for training, taking training, dealing with recruitment, scouting, media work and then travelling home with 2 drives, another check in and flight to spend how many hours with his kids before they get to bed? And then there is the cost of a daily commute. Or matchdays... is GLS seriously claiming that Oran wanted to fly home on the night before a match and risk missing a match if flights were delayed on matchday.
Scott's "interview" is conveniently timed to be published after Coleraine have re-appointed Kearney as their manager.
His claims that it was Oran's choice to go don't appear to be backed up by the club telling him not to turn up at pre-season training or being gutted or having begun re-signing guys like Gary MacKenzie and Dean Lyness at the end of last season.
It's quite spineless for GLS to give this "interview" while gagging Oran Kearney from speaking about his departure... I think it was quite clear from Oran's interview for BBC NI when he was unveiled as Coleraine manager that he couldn't speak about his departure from St Mirren that it wasn't something which had been planned long ago.
Spot on. Given the gagging order on OK, Scott should be doing the sensible, decent think and staying tight lipped. What's done is done, there was no point in this other than the chairman publicly self massaging his already massive ego. Pretty shabby but not unexpected or surprising. He really is in the last chance saloon with Goodwin, for his sake this has to go well.

Why did he choose the S*n to speak to about it? Wish the club would stop talking to journalists who work for that shit rag

Bit weird to come out with it just as Goodwin has been "unveiled" 

Meh

We move on

Seen those quotes elsewhere today so guessing he was asked about it at the press conference to unveil Goodwin.

Whether he should have given that answer is another issue, but he didn't seek out The Sun to speak to them and only them about it.

FFS Look at the big picture. What is most important to you as a saints fan? This could have ended up considerably worse and at a very important time in the clubs season. Gordon has dealt with it in the right manner to protect the clubs interest. The communication side of things was likely the integral part of what was done and when it was done.

Some folk are continually blinded by an important person at the club before the club itself. Keep believing what you want to believe but it has been done and it could have been worse for both parties involved and both clubs. 

Would it make a difference if someone else from the club verified this for you. Would you believe it then? No answer required.

5 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Am pretty sure he would have been asked the question, is that not what Journalists do  :huh: 

Not in Scotland they don’t, especially with regard to Celtic and also the new club that journalists now pretend is still the old club, even though it died and went out of business.

"I speak to Oran every day, I spend a lot of time with him and I know he is happy here" (Tony Fitzpatrick, 14th May 2019 - as TF, GLS begin planning to appoint a successor to Oran according to GLS on 9th July 2019?)

"Oran has done a great job and would be mad to leave," Fitzpatrick said.

"I know there is speculation [that Kearney will return to Coleraine] which is only natural but I don't want him to leave and I don't think we will lose him."

And then we have Oran Kearney on 13th June speaking to the media and saying the club are hoping to sign Popescu, Dreyer, MacKenzie and Muzek again for the season ahead (strange given he was planning ahead for returning to part-time football in Northern Ireland at the time):

Oran Kearney is hoping he can still bring Mihai Popescu back to St Mirren.

The defender joined on loan from Dinamo Bucharest in January and impressed in his 17 appearances to help secure their status as a Premiership club

Bucharest want a fee of £350k for the defender but Kearney reckons they can tempt both the 26-year-old and Brighton winger Anders Dreyer back for next season.

"It would be brilliant to be able to get those guys back," he told the BuddieVision online channel.

"It's in the hands probably of their agents at this point and you're trying to strike those deals.

"With Mihai, it's well publicised that they're looking for a fee. It's quite complicated at this time but we would be doing everything we possibly can to get him back."

The pair were among nine players the Buddies had on loan in the second half of the season and Kearney admits he is looking for more stability in his squad.

"With every passing window I think we want to have less and less loan players and you don't want to be going through the periods of transition that we've gone through at Christmas and even last summer before I was here," he said.

"I think it's important to try and stabilise the club and make sure we have a real cohort of players who are on possibly longer than one-year contracts to give the club that bit of stability."

Kearney, who is also looking to re-sign defenders Gary Mackenzie and Mateo Muzek on new deals, added: "At the minute we have about 12 or 13 players, ideally we want to get that to around 20 or 21, to make us as competitive as possible next season."

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy