The Gordon Scott Appreciation Thread

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Gordon forgets to let Paul McGinn and Oran Kearney in on the worst kept secret in Scottish football: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paul-mcginn-savages-alan-stubbs-16205491

You don't have much time for Gordon do you Dibbs, am getting the impression you would like him to fall flat on his face.  and would love to see the old board ride in to the rescue....... i wonder why  :whistle  

head in the clouds dreaming GIF by kimburgerly

Edited by portmahomack saint

Well either Scott or Kearney is being careless with the truth.

If only we had some track record of trust we could rely on to work out who to give the benefit of the doubt to.....

Interesting that Scott only "thinks" Oran wanted to commute daily.

Did he ask for that or didn't he FFS?

Clearly Scott knows the answer to that and if it was Yes he would categorically state it.

Then he says he was planning for Oran to leave.

So on the back of THINKING Oran might have wanted to commute daily, he went behind the managers back and started planning his successor.

That would explain why Oran knew the writing was on the wall and was gutted to leave.

I know where my trust is going to be placed in this mess.

It’s a strange interview from Gordon Scott that has contradictions in it. Saying Kearney wanted to stay, but it was the worst kept secret that he was definitely going back to Coleraine. It’s clear that Scott and Kearney had a major fallout, but I doubt we’ll ever find out the absolute truth. You could speculate that there were faults on both sides, but the truth we know is that It’s been poor preparation and as Scott says, has put us behind where we want to be in the signing of players. Hopefully we have strengthened before the Dunfermline game as we are thin on quality, especially at the back. Goodie said in his interview that the fans shouldn’t panic as there’s plenty of time left in the window. Fingers crossed.

12 minutes ago, Balmullo Bud said:

It’s a strange interview from Gordon Scott that has contradictions in it. Saying Kearney wanted to stay, but it was the worst kept secret that he was definitely going back to Coleraine. It’s clear that Scott and Kearney had a major fallout, but I doubt we’ll ever find out the absolute truth. You could speculate that there were faults on both sides, but the truth we know is that It’s been poor preparation and as Scott says, has put us behind where we want to be in the signing of players. Hopefully we have strengthened before the Dunfermline game as we are thin on quality, especially at the back. Goodie said in his interview that the fans shouldn’t panic as there’s plenty of time left in the window. Fingers crossed.

^^^^^^^^^ This.

What's happened has happened, it's where this leaves a new manager who has a difficult job on his hands.

We don't need a slow start and be chasing from the first few games.

A fast start would give the manager, and support, a boost as confidence is a major part in any teams success. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

If only we had some track record of trust we could rely on to work out who to give the benefit of the doubt to.....

Clearly Scott knows the answer to that and if it was Yes he would categorically state it.

So on the back of THINKING Oran might have wanted to commute daily, he went behind the managers back and started planning his successor.

That would explain why Oran knew the writing was on the wall and was gutted to leave.

Or interpreted as two baldies fighting over a comb, who really gives a shit anyway.

This scramble for some sort of moral high ground, urgh, its just tedious ramblings. Both parties changed their minds , their views, prospects, opinions, one about the individual , the other about the prospects for the next campaign. That compounded with undeniable homesickness meant that there was not a full focus on the job in hand.......something had to give....................................

Moving on OK now has his job(s) his family, he's done his bit here and as far as he is concerned he's a diamond geezer..........................it happens. Frankly I'm happier with JG at the helm for the new season, I feel some optimism and hope, rather than wondering about the contemplations and musings of a somewhat lyrical and philosophical OK.

But hay hoh, we'll see where this next roller coaster ride takes us, its what we do, rightly or wrongly its what us supporters signed up for :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Or interpreted as two baldies fighting over a comb, who really gives a shit anyway.

I think plenty of St Mirren fans would care about it. And they should.

The interview, as has been pointed out above, is full of contradictions. On the one hand it was "the worst kept secret in Scottish football" that Kearney was leaving, and on the other Gordon's trip to the USA is blown apart by Kearney unexpectedly deciding to leave. Which one is it?

I really struggle to believe the daily commuting story too. It is utterly ridiculous to think he was planning on flying backwards and forwards and going through all the hassle of the airport every single day.

Poor form to gag Kearney in the terms of the payoff and then come out with this in the press two weeks later too.

I've had serious doubts about the Chairman ever since the blatant lies about spitting at the Dundee United fan. This doesn't help much it must be said.

56 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I think plenty of St Mirren fans would care about it. And they should.

The interview, as has been pointed out above, is full of contradictions. On the one hand it was "the worst kept secret in Scottish football" that Kearney was leaving, and on the other Gordon's trip to the USA is blown apart by Kearney unexpectedly deciding to leave. Which one is it?

I really struggle to believe the daily commuting story too. It is utterly ridiculous to think he was planning on flying backwards and forwards and going through all the hassle of the airport every single day.

Poor form to gag Kearney in the terms of the payoff and then come out with this in the press two weeks later too.

I've had serious doubts about the Chairman ever since the blatant lies about spitting at the Dundee United fan. This doesn't help much it must be said.

Each to their own, personally it isn't worth the hand wringing and pondering imo.

Look forward, don't see what harbouring doubts about the Chairman really serves. I have had doubts about St Mirren's commercial capability and business nous for decades, the present Chief Exec's credentials are a joke, past chairman have come in for plenty blah de blah. de blah.We've all seen some amount of roasters in charge over our time.

It doesn't change how I feel about St Mirren and the team year in year out.

Get the team out and playing some honest maybe even attractive  football, score some goals , win some games.

Feel more confident about Goodwin doing so going into this season, than I would have with OK. Seems others thought so as well.

32 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Feel more confident about Goodwin doing so going into this season, than I would have with OK. Seems others thought so as well.

So do I, would maybe have just been better for Gordon to come out and say this!

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I thought everyBuddie was appeased not so long ago, that St Mirren had brought in Gus and other guys (to ensure that the various debacles suffered in the past decade or so with management chaos) would be less of a problem as there would be that background consistency.

And also that the club would be run with due consideration of all sorts of eventualities - such as succession planning.

I was pleased enough to see that there was a contingency plan in situ for OK leaving - sorry as I am to see him ago.

MY knickers have remained untwisted.

8 minutes ago, pod said:

There's nothing you, me or anyone else on the forum can say that will make a hoot of a difference.  

I'm not so sure. Maybe it wont make any difference to OK's Saints career but disillusioned fans are very important to the club.

BwR7GX9CIAAyONa.jpg

15 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

You don't have much time for Gordon do you Dibbs, am getting the impression you would like him to fall flat on his face.  and would love to see the old board ride in to the rescue....... i wonder why  :whistle  

head in the clouds dreaming GIF by kimburgerly

I'm sure I've already said that I want any St Mirren chairman to do well, Gordon Scott included. If Gordon Scott falls flat on his face the chances are so to do St Mirren FC, and depending on the timing, potentially the fans buying back the club.

I have no desire to see the old board take up the reigns again.

I'd rather when we appoint a new manager and are beginning to move on to focussing on the season ahead that our chairman doesn't start telling lies about why we parted company with our previous manager especially when we have prevented our previous manager from giving his side of the story.

I think the truth of the matter is somewhere in the middle with the GS and OK situation and it's now in the past and we move on... I would say that it's actually worked out well for us as supporters  because Goodwin will prove to be good manager for us for the next few years IMO and that's the kind of stability we are looking for after years of frequent change and upheaval.

1 minute ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I think the truth of the matter is somewhere in the middle with the GS and OK situation and it's now in the past and we move on... I would say that it's actually worked out well for us as supporters  because Goodwin will prove to be good manager for us for the next few years IMO and that's the kind of stability we are looking for after years of frequent change and upheaval.

But.....

COLERAINE FC have today read with disappointment the comments from St Mirren regarding the recent appointment of Oran Kearney as our Manager…

We wish to set the record straight that Coleraine FC has at all times conducted itself in a professional manner, in accordance the rules and regulations of the IFA, and had no contact with Oran regarding the vacancy at the club until it was confirmed he had parted company from St Mirren.

We had interviewed a number of candidates for the position and had been refused permission to speak to another candidate whom we had identified as potentially our new manager.

Furthermore, the last minute cancellation of the friendly with St Mirren was a major disappointment to not only Bannsiders, but also to a number of St Mirren fans whom made the journey none the less to the North Coast.

We look forward with confidence to the start of the Danske Bank Premiership season under the management of Oran.

5 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I'm sure I've already said that I want any St Mirren chairman to do well, Gordon Scott included. If Gordon Scott falls flat on his face the chances are so to do St Mirren FC, and depending on the timing, potentially the fans buying back the club.

I have no desire to see the old board take up the reigns again.

I'd rather when we appoint a new manager and are beginning to move on to focussing on the season ahead that our chairman doesn't start telling lies about why we parted company with our previous manager especially when we have prevented our previous manager from giving his side of the story.

So if you know he's telling lies, then you must know the truth ? so lets have it then, and explain how you know the true story,  and don't be telling us the guy in the chippy van told me. am all ears 

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

But.....

COLERAINE FC have today read with disappointment the comments from St Mirren regarding the recent appointment of Oran Kearney as our Manager…

We wish to set the record straight that Coleraine FC has at all times conducted itself in a professional manner, in accordance the rules and regulations of the IFA, and had no contact with Oran regarding the vacancy at the club until it was confirmed he had parted company from St Mirren.

We had interviewed a number of candidates for the position and had been refused permission to speak to another candidate whom we had identified as potentially our new manager.

Furthermore, the last minute cancellation of the friendly with St Mirren was a major disappointment to not only Bannsiders, but also to a number of St Mirren fans whom made the journey none the less to the North Coast.

We look forward with confidence to the start of the Danske Bank Premiership season under the management of Oran.

Hmmm... as i said somewhere in the middle. can you imagine the uproar if we took 7 weeks to appoint our new/old manager...worst kept secret...it's better we all move on.

Edited by proudtobeabuddy

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

But.....

Yet the chairman was widely reported as saying he would be mad not to consider OK for manager if he was to leave Saint Mirren. Almost akin to tapping.

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

But.....

WOW....  wasn't expecting that from COLERAINE FC  :shockaroony  game changer,  light the torches boys were having a lynching tonight 

4 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

So if you know he's telling lies, then you must know the truth ? so lets have it then, and explain how you know the true story,  and don't be telling us the guy in the chippy van told me. am all ears 

I know that GLS gave an interview to STV just before the fall out saying he was looking forward to the season ahead and he'd like to see Oran move his family over to Scotland. 10 days later Oran was told he wasn't welcome at the first day of pre-season training.

Why would GLS indicate he wanted Oran to move his family to Scotland if he was expecting him to leave the club and return to Coleraine. If it was the worst kept secret why were players giving interviews at the end of the season and during close season speaking favourably about Oran's impact at the club and looking forward to the season ahead, as was the CEO and chairman in their interviews.

Scott has a history of being full of Dave-Kingesque hot air - eg the prizes of free new St Mirren strips to any St Mirren fan who finished ahead of him in the Paisley 10k the first summer he was chairman... not one strip was ever received by any fan (not even after they finally went on sale 3 months late).

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I know that GLS gave an interview to STV just before the fall out saying he was looking forward to the season ahead and he'd like to see Oran move his family over to Scotland. 10 days later Oran was told he wasn't welcome at the first day of pre-season training.

Why would GLS indicate he wanted Oran to move his family to Scotland if he was expecting him to leave the club and return to Coleraine. If it was the worst kept secret why were players giving interviews at the end of the season and during close season speaking favourably about Oran's impact at the club and looking forward to the season ahead, as was the CEO and chairman in their interviews.

Scott has a history of being full of Dave-Kingesque hot air - eg the prizes of free new St Mirren strips to any St Mirren fan who finished ahead of him in the Paisley 10k the first summer he was chairman... not one strip was ever received by any fan (not even after they finally went on sale 3 months late).

So what your saying is you know nothing just like the rest of us,  but you put 2 and 2 together and came up with 8 that's fair enough,   

ps, did you actually run in the race and beat him ?  

11 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Self detonated Clusterf**k bomb!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48944291