Thomas Verheydt

Stu

Keep the faith - the best players are not always signed up early  . . . well at least the best ones WE can hope for and afford...

Seriously 13 goals in the 2nd division during a year they nearly got promoted.

Shankland got double that, missed a big chunk of the season and was not even in a top 3 team - I am not saying we could have got him or that we would have really wanted him either - it is merely to put things into some sort of perspective.

Yeh, cos the 2nd league in Holland is comparable to the Championship in Scotland! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Go Ahead Eagles had an average gate of 8,410 last season, higher than 7 clubs in the Scottish top flight. Ayr United has an average of 2,074.

FC Twente won the Dutch 2nd league last season and had an average gate of 26,274, way higher than all in Scotland outside the Old Firm, compared with Ross County’s 3,850.

Dundee United were the best supported in the Championship with an average of 5,079. Six clubs in the Dutch 2nd league had a higher average.

The standard in the Dutch 2nd league is way superior than in Scotland. [emoji23]

Because players that will improve our squad all instantly become available and singable the day our season ends? [emoji16]

You do realise our season ended about 50 days ago?

To put into perspective there’s 18 days to go til the season starts and 46 days until the window closes

9 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Because players that will improve our squad all instantly become available and singable the day our season ends? 😁

51 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Gus can draw up a list of targets. What he cant do is twist a players arm to sign. If players can get better money else where that's where they will go. 

This is another recurring theme I've noticed on here. The idea seems to be that because a job is difficult then it is perfectly fine to do it badly.

We are perfectly aware that putting together a competitive team on our budget is difficult.

But.....

.....that's his f**king job!

Any job in football is difficult. If you are a striker, you have defenders and goalkeepers trying to stop you score. If you are a manager, you have another 11 managers in the league trying to outdo you.

It is a competitive business, and at the moment we are a f**king shambles when it comes to being competitive.

You simply can not argue that it is acceptable to once again be starting the season so unprepared.

Edited by Kemp

2 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

You do realise our season ended about 50 days ago?

To put into perspective there’s 18 days to go til the season starts and 46 days until the window closes

What’s your point? Would you rather we rushed & signed the next bunch of Kings, Kpekawa’s and Heaton’s or took that wee bit longer & signed real, scouted quality. Who’s to say other clubs have recruited better than us, Dundee went all out last season, did they? 

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

What’s your point? Would you rather we rushed & signed the next bunch of Kings, Kpekawa’s and Heaton’s or took that wee bit longer & signed real, scouted quality. Who’s to say other clubs have recruited better than us, Dundee went all out last season, did they? 

In GS, Gus and Jim we trust 

Just now, St.Ricky said:

In GS, Gus and Jim we trust 

Yep, no one is saying we’re on target for signings in fact we know we’re not. People thinking that was avoidable though, there was no mitigation & that people aren’t trying hard to sort the situation in the background is just nonsense. 

You’re the one saying players aren’t available the day our season ended, I’m just showing you your comment was daft.

Why would we need to rush out though? No one expected 5/6 signings the day after the DU game, we did expect a plan. We are employing a guy to oversee recruitment,surely having the squad pretty much complete for preseason isn’t too much to ask?

Are you suggesting we wait til nearer the end of the window in the hope better players become available? What if they don’t?

The year we won the league under Jack we signed 2 players after the season started on the 5th August, Duffy and Liam Smith. Oh to be that well organised again

Just now, foxbar_bud said:

You’re the one saying players aren’t available the day our season ended, I’m just showing you your comment was daft.

Why would we need to rush out though? No one expected 5/6 signings the day after the DU game, we did expect a plan. We are employing a guy to oversee recruitment,surely having the squad pretty much complete for preseason isn’t too much to ask?

Are you suggesting we wait til nearer the end of the window in the hope better players become available? What if they don’t?

The year we won the league under Jack we signed 2 players after the season started on the 5th August, Duffy and Liam Smith. Oh to be that well organised again

I'm not arguing on bazl's behalf but I do genuinely think it is too early to criticise the club over recruitment. 

1 minute ago, foxbar_bud said:

Pretty much the point I've been making for weeks.

With each passing day the players within our budget will be gone, leaving us with less choice and reducing the chances of getting decent players.

This seems beyond the "Take it up the jacksie for the club" club. 

I'm not arguing on bazl's behalf but I do genuinely think it is too early to criticise the club over recruitment. 

Ricky

No one expects the squad to be completely bottomed out by this stage.

We do expect to see a bit of a plan however, that’s why Gus was brought in. I keep saying the season starts on the 3rd of August but it didn’t, it started last Saturday. And we went into that game with a squad of-

2 keepers

3 centre half’s (1 injury prone, 1 so out the picture I would get a game before him - JH)
1 right back

1 winger (Djorkaeff??)
7 central Midfielders (1 out of favour Tansey)

2 strikers

Absolute nonsense

2 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

Ricky

No one expects the squad to be completely bottomed out by this stage.

We do expect to see a bit of a plan however, that’s why Gus was brought in. I keep saying the season starts on the 3rd of August but it didn’t, it started last Saturday. And we went into that game with a squad of-

2 keepers

3 centre half’s (1 injury prone, 1 so out the picture I would get a game before him - JH)
1 right back

1 winger (Djorkaeff??)
7 central Midfielders (1 out of favour Tansey)

2 strikers

Absolute nonsense

You do make a good case on the present position... I don't understand the Tansley thing. 

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Pretty much the point I've been making for weeks.

With each passing day the players within our budget will be gone, leaving us with less choice and reducing the chances of getting decent players.

This seems beyond the "Take it up the jacksie for the club" club. 

Don't panic private. The officers know what they are doing. (We will find out soon enough.) 

Edited by St.Ricky

26 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

It isn't a one or the other situation. It is possible to have a list of targets and at least sign some of them by the 3rd week of July, without them being donkeys.

I don't remember being so disorganised going into competitive games with 15 senior players - all this with Gus who was meant to stop this situation?

20 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

I didn’t say players as in the collective, I said players that will improve our squad aren’t always available at the times our fans want them to be. 

Do you know for a fact there isn’t a plan? That GM has done nothing & we haven’t been actively looking and scouting targets? It seems exceptionally unlikely to me. 

Nope I’m suggesting we do our homework & give us the best possible chance when we do sign players. Are you suggesting good quality players have been available & plentiful & we’ve just not done anything about it? 

There is no perfect formula to signing players, people just need to be a bit more patient & show some faith we’re working hard on the recruitment front.