Annual, Manager Must Go Thread.

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Disagree.
The core of the squad he has assembled is as good as any other in our league out with the bankrolled teams.

I'm far from being in the "sack him" camp but if you believe the above then it's all the more reason for him to be under scrutiny.

A manager must be able to overrule his ego and change tactics when they aren't working.

Edited by Bud the Baker

5 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I said it from day one and I've seen nothing to change my mind. Jim Goodwin is NOT a manager. He's feckin' clueless.

I think you are wrong. 

Unquestionably we are struggling at the moment, but we're not being thumped week in week out. Small margins are deciding our results and sendings-off and suspensions are hurting us badly recently. Fundamentally we aren't too far behind a number of our rivals, but certainly we are failing to find a serious goal threat. So, we know what is required to stride on .......

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I think you are wrong. 

Unquestionably we are struggling at the moment, but we're not being thumped week in week out. Small margins are deciding our results and sendings-off and suspensions are hurting us badly recently. Fundamentally we aren't too far behind a number of our rivals, but certainly we are failing to find a serious goal threat. So, we know what is required to stride on .......

We're not laying a glove on our opponents. Home game against a poor Killie and you tell me how many chances we created? Even worse. How many saves did their p!sh goalie have to make? Goodwin doesn't know how to change a game. His choices of substitutions were ridiculous. His players don't seem to understand what they're meant to be doing as far as his tactics and formations are concerned. He needs to be removed before we end up with Tommy Craig mark II.

39 minutes ago, magnus said:

We play like a sparring partner that's not allowed to punch. Not sure I would go straight to a sacking but Jim needs some sort of help albeit he might be too stubborn to accept it. Austin MacPhee on a part time basis.

Interesting one.

Zero idea on how good Sharp is as a coach, etc, but compare him to Millen today and one was certainly more animated than the other.

We play like a sparring partner that's not allowed to punch. Not sure I would go straight to a sacking but Jim needs some sort of help albeit he might be too stubborn to accept it. Austin MacPhee on a part time basis.
Was interested to hear Thommo say the last thing Jim would want was him training the players! [emoji50][emoji850]

9 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

We're not laying a glove on our opponents. Home game against a poor Killie and you tell me how many chances we created? Even worse. How many saves did their p!sh goalie have to make? Goodwin doesn't know how to change a game. His choices of substitutions were ridiculous. His players don't seem to understand what they're meant to be doing as far as his tactics and formations are concerned. He needs to be removed before we end up with Tommy Craig mark II.

Luckily we are drowning in money at present so it would be dead easy to ditch and pay off another manager who (so far) hasn't been given the time or opportunity that he deserves to make his own Impression on our team.

He is young for a manager, he has loads to learn and he is bound to make mistakes he needs to learn from. So IMO he deserves to be given a chance to gain more experience at this level !! Surely no one could question his commitment to St Mirren. Jim Goodwin, as much as anyone, wants to succeed. Unlike Tommy Craig or Alan Stubbs we now have someone in charge who really cares about our club. Who would be your choice as a replacement ?

35 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

The dip in form appears to coincide with Gus leaving? 

Nah, not for me. Our crisis started from when Shaughnessy got sent off against County, and then the keeper Coronavirus situation , and then finished off with the Tait sending off. All these these things haven't helped the team or manager,  but I can't help but feel , its Goodwin's tactics and team selection that is the main reason for our current run of poor form. Absolutely no cutting edge which results in very few chances being created. 

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Luckily we are drowning in money at present so it would be dead easy to ditch and pay off another manager who (so far) hasn't been given the time or opportunity that he deserves to make his own Impression on our team.

He is young for a manager, he has loads to learn and he is bound to make mistakes he needs to learn from. So IMO he deserves to be given a chance to gain more experience at this level !! Surely no one could question his commitment to St Mirren. Jim Goodwin, as much as anyone, wants to succeed. Unlike Tommy Craig or Alan Stubbs we now have someone in charge who really cares about our club. Who would be your choice as a replacement ?

I never thought he was a manager so never thought he should have been appointed in the first place. The question should be, "can we afford to keep him"? Wanting to succeed is neither here nor there.. I've no doubt Jim wants what's best for St. Mirren. Unfortunately he doesn't appear to be that. If he is at the stage of needing to learn his trade it certainly shouldn't be doing that in the top division with us.