Annual, Manager Must Go Thread.

1 hour ago, Dare said:

Another thing I noticed yesterday was that apart from our final ball into the box being crap the amount of times we basically just gave the ball away was criminal, our midfield being the main culprits -  presuming that Foley is carrying some sort of injury as he was miles off the pace.

He is 34 next month, last season he also had Flynn in there with him (who we all know works tirelessly and is great on the ball), make of that what you will...

1 hour ago, norrie82 said:

Dj chapsticks nailed it- it’s the boredom nowadays. I felt myself dosing off yesterday and that’s never been me. It’s  utterly dreadful 

Agreed, the last couple of games remind me of the dross served up by the side under Alex Rae, albeit at a lower level, in the great escape season.

However, there is much more reason to be optimistic now than back then. We have a much better squad, however something isn't right and it may well be just a perfect storm, with suspensions causing our backline to be depleted, the Covid situation, some players like McAllister, Durmus and Foley being hopelessly out of form and the players in general struggling to adjust to the ridiculous no crowds situation. None of that is the managers fault - however what is his fault is going into the season with only four defenders, meaning any injuries or suspensions leads to players playing out of position, and setting up with a defensive mindset every single game, which is something pre-season he said he would address.

There still is time to sort it, but he IMO needs to stick to a 4-2-3-1 formation, which is best suited to our squad, and get more balance to the squad before the window shuts by signing at least two defenders. Oh, and cancel Sherons loan.

It is, though, far far too early to call for a change of manager, we need to support him to improve things.

No matter who would take over from Goodwin they could not possibly do a worse job...football the team is serving up is worst i have ever seen in watching Saints in 40 years and that falls on Goodwin in his signings and tactics. Does Goodwin actually think he is bringing something to club and improving team? If he looks in mirror this morning and is honest with himself he resigns immediately..

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The results are merely part of the problem albeit a big one. 

I can honestly say that for the second half yesterday, I noticed myself doing something that I've been doing a lot more when watching these games on the telly. I switched off. 

I have never walked out of a match.  Never.
and I’ve been a Saints and Scotland fan for far too long, so obviously suffered plenty, had often had excuse to walk out......

...but I was like you yesterday.

With probably 10 minutes left when I switched off ALL means of knowing what was happening, went to the store, then early to the pub.

1 hour ago, The Original 59er said:

The fare is pretty awful to watch and also to listen to on the radio. ST nailed it yesterday when he said that some of the crosses were terrible, can't get it past the first defender.

Of course there will be a number who will argue that we are only just losing these games by the odd goal (Hibs aside), and with a little bit of luck we could have at least got a draw or even scraped a win, but I agree with Lenziebud, the forwards we have brought in reflect a manager who isn't that clued up about quality strikers. He knows about a combative mid-field and a defence, but the forward line needs someone who can take a chance. Morias doesn't really know the way to the net, Obika doesn't convert enough of the chances that come his way, and Erwin performs well outside of the box but isn't the kind of player that scores 15+ goals a season. I don't know anything of Dennis as we haven't seen anything yet of his abilities!

I'm not on board with any argument that justifies that the Manager Must Go but somewhere along the line we have lost the ability to find someone who can score goals. I laughed out loud when earlier this season after scoring his second goal in the league the fanny on the Beeb said that Obika was becoming "prolific"! The word may have been appropriate if he had scored say 6 or 7 in the first 8 games, but two.....................

We are bottom of the league for a very good reason and it was the same last year, we don't score enough goals and if this is the pattern for the next few games, then it will be same old, same old.

Agree with your comments on Obika its almost becoming laughable.

The only defence I would give on Goodwin for his recruitment across the front is either we can't afford the level we need or they are not willing to come to St Mirren. He's then left dealing with scraps and having to gamble and the gambles are not working ?

I think some of the forwards we have been linked with seem reasonable signings but we never pull it off. In recent years the only one we got was Stephen Thompson and only beacause he was a St Mirren fan. Maybe Goncalves at a push but I'm not sure how he would have faired over a couple of seasons.

I'm not sure of McPherson's role in the recruitment process and not sure how much of these players Goodwin has actually seen before signing them but  other than Dennis who we can't comment on I would say every one of the forwards recruited are not up to standard and that will eventually do for Jim as every manager lives or dies by his signings.

The lack of ability up front may also have a role in Goodwins tactics

Edited by lenziebud

22 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Agreed, the last couple of games remind me of the dross served up by the side under Alex Rae, albeit at a lower level, in the great escape season.

However, there is much more reason to be optimistic now than back then. We have a much better squad, however something isn't right and it may well be just a perfect storm, with suspensions causing our backline to be depleted, the Covid situation, some players like McAllister, Durmus and Foley being hopelessly out of form and the players in general struggling to adjust to the ridiculous no crowds situation. None of that is the managers fault - however what is his fault is going into the season with only four defenders, meaning any injuries or suspensions leads to players playing out of position, and setting up with a defensive mindset every single game, which is something pre-season he said he would address.

There still is time to sort it, but he IMO needs to stick to a 4-2-3-1 formation, which is best suited to our squad, and get more balance to the squad before the window shuts by signing at least two defenders. Oh, and cancel Sherons loan.

It is, though, far far too early to call for a change of manager, we need to support him to improve things.

For me this is a bit of red herring. Foley can slot in effectively at CB and McPherson can play at RB effectively also. This is not our issue. We have went with a slightly smaller squad and tried to sign quality in defence which we have. Our defence is fine overall its not the issue. Maybe keeping Baird may have been worth while but not fussed either way tbh.

The lack of game time for McPherson is baffling and the addition of Connolly (not overly sold on him either !) who he never starts even though Durmus, McAllister, Morais all look poorer players at Premiership level is baffling also.

I went round a couple of garages looking at cars then went for food. 

Got home at 4-15 and was daft enough to put the game on  :withstupid

2 weeks ago i also went for food and got home around half time, and did the same stupid thing  :hammer

Just wondering what garages to go to on the 17th and the 24th of Oct and where to eat ?

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I went round a couple of garages looking at cars then went for food. 

Got home at 4-15 and was daft enough to put the game on  :withstupid

2 weeks ago i also went for food and got home around half time, and did the same stupid thing  :hammer

Just wondering what garages to go to on the 17th and the 24th of Oct and where to eat ?

Feel for you - I never watch Sportscene when we lose so that's over a month now. 

24 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

For me this is a bit of red herring. Foley can slot in effectively at CB and McPherson can play at RB effectively also. This is not our issue. We have went with a slightly smaller squad and tried to sign quality in defence which we have. Our defence is fine overall its not the issue. Maybe keeping Baird may have been worth while but not fussed either way tbh.

The lack of game time for McPherson is baffling and the addition of Connolly (not overly sold on him either !) who he never starts even though Durmus, McAllister, Morais all look poorer players at Premiership level is baffling also.

The defence will be an issue if they continue to collect red and yellow cards at the rate they are doing.

We pushed our luck last season with a threadbare defence and got away with it. 

You are right about Durmus, McAllister and Morais, and Goodwin should be trying to punt them out on loan.

My stream went blurry with about 15/20 mins left in the game and I couldn't get it fixed with even logging out and back in. I eventually gave up as I'd lost interest in the game anyways. I'm not sure if part of it is due to not being able to attend games, though I just feel fed up this season already with what I've been watching. 

If it wasn't for the sentimental connection with Goody, I think more fans would be making noise over the performances. It can't take the first quarter of the season to work out a formula surely. I give credit for the effort against Celtic, though its been followed up with unacceptable performances.

It's all good and well trying to make yourself difficult to beat (it's not worked so far dropping points), though we need to do something in the final third. Too many passengers getting a show in every week. 

I think the problem is Jim isn't getting the best out of the players he has due in part to terrible tactics and playing players out of position.

Morias and Sheron are nowhere near good enough. McAllister hasn't been fit in 4 years and we give him a 3 year deal. These 3 shouldn't be in the squad.

We know Durmus and Foley can be far better than what they have shown so far but are not doing it for some reason. McGrath, to me, has looked good playing behind a striker but Jim often plays him wide. Cammy has drive and energy but can't get in the team. Connolly also cannot get in the team but looks exciting in his cameo roles.

We really do not want to change the manager but someone has to challenge his decision making.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

I think the problem is Jim isn't getting the best out of the players he has due in part to terrible tactics and playing players out of position.

Morias and Sheron are nowhere near good enough. McAllister hasn't been fit in 4 years and we give him a 3 year deal. These 3 shouldn't be in the squad.

We know Durmus and Foley can be far better than what they have shown so far but are not doing it for some reason. McGrath, to me, has looked good playing behind a striker but Jim often plays him wide. Cammy has drive and energy but can't get in the team. Connolly also cannot get in the team but looks exciting in his cameo roles.

We really do not want to change the manager but someone has to challenge his decision making.

100% somebody needs to challenge Goodwin, how long does this farce go on for?

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

Are you volunteering? 

If the oportunity came up to speak to Jim i would gladly speak to him. Im talking about people in charge at boardroom level taking him to task.

Edited by Guest