St Mirren v Edinburgh City

St.Ricky

1 hour ago, santaponsasaint said:

Absolutely dire. Two games in a row were we have no idea what system were supposed to be playing. I really can't sum up the game it was so dreadful. Goody is kidding surely Quote we only need 5 signings. Unquote. He needs 5 at back alone. Really stumped for words. Hladky apart pass Mark's for absolutely no one .

Have you listened to his after match interview. I hope that's not what he really thought. 

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

No? Unless Albion Rovers beat Dunfermline 9 points will be enough. It was last year.

I don't think that all 2nd placed teams make it through.

I'd need to check though.

We need to worry about runners up in other groups in that case.

Were not giving Edinburgh any credit here,  They're no a bad wee team they finished 3rd in there league last year,  I was at the game and other than a few skirmishes from city in the first half we always looked in control of the game,  Our goalie hardly touched the ball he didn't have a save to make the whole game,  we need to drop the billy big baw's attitude its 11 v 11 and we won the game,  Sure were a long way off,  and we need players good players. fingers x  

But its preseason so lets all calm down, there's been a few shocks in this cup already that's just football,

Was it not only last season around this time that Celtic got gubbed by a pub team from Gibraltar, and Rangers copped it from wits there name ??  you know who i mean 

Edited by portmahomack saint

4 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Were not giving Edinburgh any credit here,  They're no a bad wee team they finished 3rd in there league last year,  I was at the game and other than a few skirmishes from city in the first half we always looked in control of the game,  Our goalie hardly touched the ball he didn't have a save to make the whole game,  we need to drop the billy big baw's attitude its 11 v 11 and we won the game,  Sure were a long way off,  and we need players good players. fingers x  

But its preseason so lets all calm down, there's been a few shocks in this cup already that's just football,

Was it not only last season around this time that Celtic got gubbed by a pub team from Gibraltar, and Rangers copped it from wits there name ??  you know who i mean 

Its was 3 years ago sellick lost to Imps and 2 years ago Sevco lost to Progres. Other than that good post:wink:

Just can't conceal your disappointment, eh ? Maybe one day you will re-learn how to support St Mirren. [emoji14] 

Disappointed?

How strange!

I take it you were part of last season’s lynch mob?

How many games are you going to give this manager, eh? 5 maybe?

Maybe one day you will re-learn how to support St Mirren

The usual negative suspect boo boys have been out in force on this thread!

6 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

It was HMRC.   Rangers copped it from HMRC. (Indeed it killed the poor club!)

it was tragic, but that was years ago!

Oh go to bed ya daft bugger.
We won a game. We move on.
What kind of nugget gets embarrassed over a 1-0 victory? [emoji38]
I was embarrassed by the scoreline, not the result. I am pleased wirh the result, but we should be able to hammer teams several leagues below us, even in pre season. A la Pars.

29 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:
8 hours ago, oaksoft said:
Oh go to bed ya daft bugger.
We won a game. We move on.
What kind of nugget gets embarrassed over a 1-0 victory? emoji38.png

I was embarrassed by the scoreline, not the result. I am pleased wirh the result, but we should be able to hammer teams several leagues below us, even in pre season. A la Pars.

Aye, a 1-0 victory over a REAL team would be nice, against a diddy team, better than nothing, only just. 

More so that it was a very late penalty, not building any confidence. 

Edited by faraway saint

I thought the first half was pretty poor. We were very pedestrian in going forwards., jogging about with the 'pre-season friendly attitude' and failed to attack them. The lack of width with CMs everywhere didn't help us out, but too often players decided to pass backwards instead of taking responsibility and committing a man or playing a difficult ball.

Lost count of times we played it across the back 4 then went to midfield before going back across the back 4 which Edinburgh were delighted with. Cooke up top on his own was a honking call too, most of the time he got the ball, if he didn't take a poor touch he was isolated with nobody but City players near him and it let City have more time on the ball when they did get it as we weren't immediately on them. 

The changes to go 2 up top helped second half and we showed a bit more then and had a few more chances- it seemed a little bit better, but still below par. 

It's clear we're massively short of players with quality. McAllister, Popescu, Dryer, Musek even Nazon would have added to that team positively last night. 

The 2nd half performance was not too bad last night.

Djorkaeff looks like he will add something, lots of energy was moving across the park from wing to wing and trying to drive things forwards. 

It wasn't at least the complete disaster of Queens Park away at this stage last season where we could have played all night without a shot on goal. In the end we had a good few chances, a disallowed goal, and ultimately did get the goal and the win.

All that said, there is a lot to be concerned about. Even against a fourth tier team we looked likely to concede on the counter attack any time they came at us.

The Popescu transfer is really what concerns me most. I don't believe that Popescu himself would suddenly demand much more in wages compared to last season. Indeed, as it is a loan deal I don't understand how he could? Gordon / The club firing out that statement blaming demands from his agent doesn't sit very well with me.

It could well be given our burn rate of revenue in the last couple years we are skint now, and unable to bring in players of the standard of Popescu, Dreyer etc again. If that;s the case we are f**ked, because the current squad is just not good enough and Jim Goodwin is not going to be able to do anything about it.

All eyes on Tony Fitzpatrick - we must urgently get some deals done!!

Go and get McAllister, Nazon and Popescu back whatever it takes. That only gets us back where we started.

Then go and get another striker from the Dutch 2nd division or similar. Try and get Gavin Reilly back or possibly sign Stevie May and only then can we talk about staying in this league. That’s how far behind we are.

Edited by Big Yards

25 minutes ago, Kemp said:

The Popescu transfer is really what concerns me most. I don't believe that Popescu himself would suddenly demand much more in wages compared to last season. Indeed, as it is a loan deal I don't understand how he could? Gordon / The club firing out that statement blaming demands from his agent doesn't sit very well with me.

That's an agent's job.

It's extremely common for agents to up the ante and fill a player's head with fantastic financial figures.

His agent will no doubt have told him to sit tight and see if better offers come in from elsewhere. If they don't, then they'll be back at our door.

Sadly this game of cat and mouse is played out every day at almost every club involved in signing players.

The explanation makes perfect sense to me. Then again, I'm not in the "Big bad Gordon is a liar" club.:)

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The explanation makes perfect sense to me. Then again, I'm not in the "Big bad Gordon is a liar" club.:)

I agree with what you said about the agents, but how do you know you’re not in the big bad Gordon is a liar club?

Only Baz gets to decide who is in that club and he doesn’t let facts get in the way of his decision on this. 

14 minutes ago, FTOF said:

That's an agent's job.

It's extremely common for agents to up the ante and fill a player's head with fantastic financial figures.

His agent will no doubt have told him to sit tight and see if better offers come in from elsewhere. If they don't, then they'll be back at our door.

Sadly this game of cat and mouse is played out every day at almost every club involved in signing players.

I don't think I am in any club, but Gordon is a liar which has been seen quite a few times. Wouldn't class him as big, or particularly bad compared to most people.

I still have never heard of an agent or player asking for an increased wage as part of a loan deal. I suppose it must be possible though.