No Trip to Spain Next Year

We have a perfectly good training facility at home.

Utter waste of money if that is the condition the players come back in. The two travel days look like they should have been spent on some extra fitness training or gym time.

Regardless of todays abject performance, I can see the point of a break in January but seems utterly pointless in the middle of summer.

They'll have the begging bowl round for SMISA to fund something at the training ground soon enough though!

16 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Utter waste of money if that is the condition the players come back in. The two travel days look like they should have been spent on some extra fitness training or gym time.

Regardless of todays abject performance, I can see the point of a break in January but seems utterly pointless in the middle of summer.

They'll have the begging bowl round for SMISA to fund something at the training ground soon enough though!

Think the sun beds at Ralston need upgrading?

One of our starting players was at Trnsmt the night before the game, that’s the level of professionalism we’re talking about here:lol:

Wasn't just one player off the pace yesterday, was almost all of them. Shocking stuff. Big improvement needed

13 hours ago, Kemp said:

That's not really how these training camps work. A week of double sessions in the heat will leave you knackered for a couple of weeks, but with more fitness over the course of the season.

I used to do warm weather training in March each year, ahead of the athletics/sprinting season. The following week you'd always panic because your legs would be like jelly and your times, even in training, would be rubbish. But you'd come through it stronger and in better shape for the months ahead.

It's shite news for the league cup games (I would scrap this format, TBH), but we'll be much sharper for the start of the league stuff.

1 hour ago, Magic Monkey said:

That's not really how these training camps work. A week of double sessions in the heat will leave you knackered for a couple of weeks, but with more fitness over the course of the season.

I used to do warm weather training in March each year, ahead of the athletics/sprinting season. The following week you'd always panic because your legs would be like jelly and your times, even in training, would be rubbish. But you'd come through it stronger and in better shape for the months ahead.

It's shite news for the league cup games (I would scrap this format, TBH), but we'll be much sharper for the start of the league stuff.

Give them a bottle of Sunny D and make them run up the braes.

1 hour ago, Meiksyboy said:

Think the only beach work should be the Jock Wallace method at Gullane instead of pissing about in Spain!

Certainly worked for him. I do agree though that early work on double sessions can, short term, impact by making players look and feel heavy legged. Not an excuse though for not turning up in the first half yesterday. Spain? Gullane? I don't mind as long as it works. 

54 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Certainly worked for him. I do agree though that early work on double sessions can, short term, impact by making players look and feel heavy legged. Not an excuse though for not turning up in the first half yesterday. Spain? Gullane? I don't mind as long as it works. 

Well it didnt really work for Jock as he died at 60 !!!

Nothing to do with going to Spain a lot to do with the lack of stability when last season finished and how long it took before Goodwin came in. I think he'll have us ready for the league kick off but he's had a 4-6 weeks less than he should have, Oran should have been allowed to go back to Ireland in May.

On 7/14/2019 at 6:28 PM, Kemp said:

Behave ffs is the titanic stinking ? Its early yet to be shitting you pants . I condemn  you to five weeks with Faraway Saint trolling the forum. 

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Behave ffs is the titanic stinking ? Its early yet to be shitting you pants . I condemn  you to five weeks with Faraway Saint trolling the forum. 

I dont know about the Titanic but the pants must be howling? 😉

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:
1 hour ago, DougJamie said:
Was it a beech tree emoji14.png

The way I heard it was, Q - "What was Marc Bolan's biggest hit?", A - "An oak tree in Kent,". I was 10 at the time and it might have been funny if I knew who the f**k Marc Bolan was and what had happened.

I thought he would have survived it. After all it was only a mini crash. 

One thing for sure is there is no point in taking 1/2 a squad away and without the manager....

We have hardly built anything like a foundation. I know it can be dangerous to rest on your laurels with 80% the same squad from a previous season, but we should only be replacing guys who are our weaker links. We seem to let the best guys go far too often . . .

Are we not clever enough to have agreed contract deals signed in our favour so that they don't fall through... e.g. Oran and Popescu ???

I propose we start pre season training 2 weeks earlier next year and actually have most of our squad in place by the end of those 2 weeks . . . it 'll be like having a head start . . . .    :ninja  but this will of course depend on which league we will be in the following season . . .

The only thing in our favour is that a number of other clubs are not much ahead of us and those they have signed don't look like superstars ...

One thing for sure is there is no point in taking 1/2 a squad away and without the manager....
We have hardly built anything like a foundation. I know it can be dangerous to rest on your laurels with 80% the same squad from a previous season, but we should only be replacing guys who are our weaker links. We seem to let the best guys go far too often . . .
Are we not clever enough to have agreed contract deals signed in our favour so that they don't fall through... e.g. Oran and Popescu ???
I propose we start pre season training 2 weeks earlier next year and actually have most of our squad in place by the end of those 2 weeks . . . it 'll be like having a head start . . . .    :ninja  but this will of course depend on which league we will be in the following season . . .
The only thing in our favour is that a number of other clubs are not much ahead of us and those they have signed don't look like superstars ...
Foreign players will not sign extended contracts with a club like ours. They are coming here to put themselves in the shop window to the two cheeks and England. We need to accept where we are in the food chain and plan as best we can around that.

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
13 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Foreign players will not sign extended contracts with a club like ours. They are coming here to put themselves in the shop window to the two cheeks and England. We need to accept where we are in the food chain and plan as best we can around that.

I don't buy that.  It is too much a generalisation. AND you are saying we can do nothing i.e. it will always be like this...

We managed Hladky on 18 months - .e. g. why not have a year extension agreed that we can take up with him getting say a 15% rise for the additional year. If he had not been good enough we would not need to take it up. He is though and we have squat in place... 

Popescu would come back to us in a heartbeat too... it is just his agent trying to grab more dosh... had the agreement been signed a few months ago we would not currently be without him either... no there is things we can do and upping our game behind the scenes is a MUST . . .   :magic

What has Gus lined up for us??? 😨

I don't buy that.  It is too much a generalisation. AND you are saying we can do nothing i.e. it will always be like this...
We managed Hladky on 18 months - .e. g. why not have a year extension agreed that we can take up with him getting say a 15% rise for the additional year. If he had not been good enough we would not need to take it up. He is though and we have squat in place... 
Popescu would come back to us in a heartbeat too... it is just his agent trying to grab more dosh... had the agreement been signed a few months ago we would not currently be without him either... no there is things we can do and upping our game behind the scenes is a MUST . . .   :magic
What has Gus lined up for us??? [emoji32]
Why would Hladky sign an extension for 15% more when bigger clubs can give him rises in the hundreds percent wise ? We can't offer these guys enough to get them to sign 2/3 year deals or extensions. These guys are here for exposure, don't let the badge kissing fool you. Yes they perform well as they are a better standard to what we had but lers not kid ourselves that these guys always hoped to play for SMFC. We are seen as a stepping stone, nothing else and nothing wrong in that.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:49 PM, Ayrshire Saints said:
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:10 PM, Sweeper07 said:
What has Gus lined up for us??? emoji32.png

Why would Hladky sign an extension for 15% more when bigger clubs can give him rises in the hundreds percent wise ? We can't offer these guys enough to get them to sign 2/3 year deals or extensions. These guys are here for exposure, don't let the badge kissing fool you. Yes they perform well as they are a better standard to what we had but lers not kid ourselves that these guys always hoped to play for SMFC. We are seen as a stepping stone, nothing else and nothing wrong in that.

Plenty players (and their agents have ambitions of moving up the ladder - so what? Plenty clubs sign these sorts and tie them in better than we do.

I will give you only one example - Hearts took Isma for free and sold him for £170 k - why did he not go for free from them?

Do you seriously think we could not do things better behind the scenes? :2cool