Double Dutch

Geoffrey Reemer, lives in The Netherlands
Updated Jul 4 2014 · Author has 1.7k answers and 7.2m answer views

The name "Holland" has been around for quite some time (it seems to date back to the 9th century). Holland is derived from the word "Holtland", which means "Woodland". The region of Holland, which consists of the provinces North-Holland and South-Holland, has always been the most important region in our country. It was where the Dutch East India Company was founded and it was where all the major ports and centers of commerce were. So when the Netherlands were established in 1584, foreigners were still dealing with Holland most of the time. That's why Holland became synonymous for the whole country, much to the chagrin of other provinces.

As for the word "Dutch" it's important to note that we refer to ourselves as "Nederlanders" rather than Dutch. In fact, English is the only language which seems to have made up its own word to describe our people. In Old English, "dutch" simply meant "people or nation". 

On 7/16/2019 at 2:00 PM, djchapsticks said:

That he's had a better offer closer to home and will be staying in Dutch football.

As I said, hope it's not true - don't think I can handle the widespread meltdowns that will ensue.

Confirmed by Goodwin tonight.

Dutch club 'blew us out the water' with their offer.:(

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Sad facts of football. Outside the ugly sisters we just cannot compete with the wages on offer.  There are players out there we just need to try unearth a gem or 7. 

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The slightly worrying quote in that discussion was Goody saying (paraphrasing) we can't get the deals over the line because of the quality of the player identified i.e. we are going after players of a calibre we are unlikely to be able to get over the line the minute someone else slightly further up the food chain comes in.  We need to be realistic about who we can get to sign.  Yes aspirations need to be there but there has to be a tinge of realism. We need Prem standard players but it's worrying if those we think are that standard cannot be converted into signings. We also need to be a bit more coy and street wise and not let agents play us like a fiddle.

34 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

The slightly worrying quote in that discussion was Goody saying (paraphrasing) we can't get the deals over the line because of the quality of the player identified i.e. we are going after players of a calibre we are unlikely to be able to get over the line the minute someone else slightly further up the food chain comes in.  We need to be realistic about who we can get to sign.  Yes aspirations need to be there but there has to be a tinge of realism. We need Prem standard players but it's worrying if those we think are that standard cannot be converted into signings. We also need to be a bit more coy and street wise and not let agents play us like a fiddle.

Think that's just normal. Start the window aiming high (although Andreu?) then lower you aims as we near the end. The same goes for players looking to move/get a club as well. We should be realistic but also ambitious. Last season we did get Ferdinand, Hammil, Jackson, Popescu, Hvlaky, McAllister all whom were "out of our league."

Or we could have a summer of Beith again.

1 hour ago, insaintee said:

Think that's just normal. Start the window aiming high (although Andreu?) then lower you aims as we near the end. The same goes for players looking to move/get a club as well. We should be realistic but also ambitious. Last season we did get Ferdinand, Hammil, Jackson, Popescu, Hvlaky, McAllister all whom were "out of our league."

Or we could have a summer of Beith again.

The summer of 'beath was bad enough - signing players from the Juniors would be lunacy !!!

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

The summer of 'beath was bad enough - signing players from the Juniors would be lunacy !!!

Ally McLeod,Frank MacAvennie, Lex Richardson ??

And no doubt many more the auld yins could remember

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Ally McLeod,Frank MacAvennie, Lex Richardson ??

And no doubt many more the auld yins could remember

2 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Gordon McQueen, Stevie Clarke

PS There are a few on here a lot older than me.

Indeed there have been although McAvennie came from the amatuers an even lower level.  Chris Erskine and Kris Doolan are the only ones I can think of in recent years to have made an impact at top level straight from the Junior ranks.  For us Ross Stewart was at Kilwwinning although he had moved on before he came to us I think

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Indeed there have been although McAvennie came from the amatuers an even lower level.  Chris Erskine and Kris Doolan are the only ones I can think of in recent years to have made an impact at top level straight from the Junior ranks.  For us Ross Stewart was at Kilwwinning although he had moved on before he came to us I think

MacAvennie played for Johnstone Burgh didn't he? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_McAvennie#Early_career

Edited by Danny

5 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

On the assumption that most bigger clubs will have their shit together way earlier than us I would hope we are pushing for the maximum number of loan deals as our priority. The big clubs will know who is surplus to their requirements and those players are likely to be way better than anyone we can afford on a permanent deal. Jim can go for stability next season with a season in the top flight and another million quid in the bank for finishing 10th.