David Riley Q&A

bazil85

Are you hoping like the previous Smisa rep you can leave Smisa and take up a permanent  role on the St Mirren board?

After all. you do put your role of St Mirren Director over your role of Smisa Director ,as is required by law, so you may as well drop the Smisa role.

OR ,Smisa do not put someone on the St Mirren board and instead have a monthly meeting with the St Mirren board to address supporters criticisms , get stuck into them on their failure to keep supporters up to date   etc

ie do what it says  on the tin , Independant Association  !!

1 hour ago, waldorf34 said:

Are you hoping like the previous Smisa rep you can leave Smisa and take up a permanent  role on the St Mirren board?

After all. you do put your role of St Mirren Director over your role of Smisa Director ,as is required by law, so you may as well drop the Smisa role.

OR ,Smisa do not put someone on the St Mirren board and instead have a monthly meeting with the St Mirren board to address supporters criticisms , get stuck into them on their failure to keep supporters up to date   etc

Not sure if he’s on here to answer these questions but my response to this sort of stuff is, it’s not us vs them.

SMISA are independent yes but their goal should be in line with the goals of anyone associated with SMFC. 

Being on the BoD as well, like you say they are duty bound to the good of the company but the good of the company should also be the good of SMISA & fanbase as a whole  

Did he ask you?
Self appointed mouthpiece of the BoD.

Not sure if he’s on here to answer these questions but my response to this sort of stuff is, it’s not us vs them.
SMISA are independent yes but their goal should be in line with the goals of anyone associated with SMFC. 
Being on the BoD as well, like you say they are duty bound to the good of the company but the good of the company should also be the good of SMISA & fanbase as a whole  

5 hours ago, slapsalmon said:

Interesting to note he said the old firm getting the family stand was worth 2 players in January. 

Were those 2 players (for 5 months ish each} worth 10% of the seasons playing budget? 

I think you might be suggesting that we paid these two higher wages. That is, we took a risk, a punt if you like. If we did, it paid off. 

18 hours ago, waldorf34 said:

A silly suggestion, surely it is far better to be on the inside and see the reality of club management and to have several different SMISA members doing that; can only help long term. IMO anyway.

13 hours ago, slapsalmon said:

Interesting to note he said the old firm getting the family stand was worth 2 players in January. 

Were those 2 players (for 5 months ish each} worth 10% of the seasons playing budget? 

If they were the difference in staying / going down, need you really ask?

Just now, jaybee said:

If they were the difference in staying / going down, need you really ask?

The point was more tongue in cheek at the previous claim of the family stand for 3 games being worth 10% of the playing budget. I don't believe 2 players for a short spell cost 10% of the playing budget. 

I should have said did they cost rather than are they worth. 

7 minutes ago, slapsalmon said:

The point was more tongue in cheek at the previous claim of the family stand for 3 games being worth 10% of the playing budget. I don't believe 2 players for a short spell cost 10% of the playing budget. 

I should have said did they cost rather than are they worth. 

Giving the family stand to the old bigots and kicking the kids out fir three games wont even pay for Josh Heaton's mutual!

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Giving the family stand to the old bigots and kicking the kids out fir three games wont even pay for Josh Heaton's mutual!

It will, unless Heaton alone mutual is over 10% of our entire player budget from last season. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

The reactions on here spell out clearly why very few people would want to take on this role.

In that interview, Riley talks about communication being the most important part of his job.

I agree.

He mentioned having to communicate with respected people in the game, other directors etc.

3 guesses who he missed out.

That's right - the fans.

A lot of fans are angry because they are hearing absolutely nothing they can trust about why we are struggling to recruit players, what the role of Gus is, how much it is costing us to continually release players, managers, coaching staff, what is happening with the continued problems with the ticketing system, why are we seeing no brand new income streams to bring more money into the club 3 years into Gordon's tenure, what specific plans have been put in place to (correctly) justify talking about top 6, top 4 .....the list is endless.

Maybe if there was better communication from board level during times of difficulty there would be more understanding. They are quite happy to talk when times are good but when they clam up the second things go awry then it's understandable why ordinary fans are getting on their case. Senior managers and board members never seem to get their skulls around this because they are usually too busy trying to save their own necks. That is absolutely what has been going on at the club and THAT deserves to be criticised.

Edited by oaksoft

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

In that interview, Riley talks about communication being the most important part of his job.

I agree.

He mentioned having to communicate with respected people in the game, other directors etc.

That's right - the fans.

A lot of fans are angry because they are hearing absolutely nothing they can trust about why we are struggling to recruit players, what the role of Gus is, how much it is costing us to continually release players, managers, coaching staff, what is happening with the continued problems with the ticketing system, why are we seeing no brand new income streams to bring more money into the club 3 years into Gordon's tenure, what specific plans have been put in place to (correctly) justify talking about top 6, top 4 .....the list is endless.

Maybe if there was better communication from board level during times of difficulty there would be more understanding. They are quite happy to talk when times are good but when they clam up the second things go awry then it's understandable why ordinary fans are getting on their case. Senior managers and board members never seem to get their skulls around this because they are usually too busy trying to save their own necks. That is absolutely what has been going on at the club and THAT deserves to be criticised.

This.

classic quotes from the Q&A "changes wont happen overnight, we wont get everything right first time"....

funny because i heard those exact words over three years ago when The Buds were Bought, and we have had over 1000 overnights since then, and still f**k it up!

16 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I agree.

That's right - the fans.

Spot on

1 minute ago, slapsalmon said:

Why would he only mention 2? How many were signed in January? 

Maybe that was the residual budget, I'm pretty sure the income generated from at least three games against them would have been taken into account in the summer. It amounted for a 10% increase in the player budget, GLS confirmed this. 

7 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Maybe that was the residual budget, I'm pretty sure the income generated from at least three games against them would have been taken into account in the summer. It amounted for a 10% increase in the player budget, GLS confirmed this. 

Take your nose out his arse for 1 second.

The quote above seems to contradict the 10%.

Neither of us know any facts, and the likelihood is we never will, but because GLS said it doesn't make it automatically true. The closest we will get is when the accounts are published. My reckoning is the family stand got nowhere near the 10% increase in playing budget previously mentioned, the 2 players in January is far more believable to me.  Christ you even started your chat on the subject with it being worth 1, maybe 2 max players! 

If GLS told you he had a bag full of magic beans you'd believe him FFS

Edited by slapsalmon

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I agree.

That's right - the fans.

A lot of information people can get behind in that (including me). As usual though still tinged with abnormal negativity and unrealistic expectations. There is of course the massive elephant in the room as well with this post... Are these times of difficulty?

- SP football, something that's been roughly a 50:50 split over the last generation 

- two seasons of high ST sales, higher than anytime in at least the last decade

- Several assets with and away from the club that we will financially benefit from in the event of big sales

- Cracking and modern stadium/ facilities

- No debt

- a fan ownership buyout that's miles ahead of target 

- Arguably the most promising young manager in Scottish football. 

Don't get me wrong I agree fully on the issues with the ticket system, I think it's reasonable to query what innovative plans (not sure what you mean by 'brand new' as in no other club or company have ever thought of them before? That's a big ask) we've got (although I think the fact this is a transitional period is likely a decent excuse to not do anything drastic), how are we backing up the ambition TF wants us to have? All fair enough. 

Where this falls down for me is some of your other points. We know the nature of the modern world is people want every shred of information & they want it yesterday! Not reasonable at all. 

- Struggle to recruit players, we have seen several interviews saying this is ongoing and people are working hard, there is no more people can expect from this in July. If it's the same situation on 1st September, by all means go nuts. Nothing more the club should be doing on this right now in regards to informing fans. It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone the difficulties clubs at our level face. 

- We know what the role of Gus is. It was a success in his first transfer window, again nothing more to clarify here but if it's the same on 1st September by all means 

- releasing players & other staff costs. None of our business, this is part and parcel of football & we have absolutely no right to know the finances on this. If you left a job with a package would you be happy if they announced it to the world? I wouldn't be surprised if releasing actual financial details on this was illegal TBH

12 minutes ago, slapsalmon said:

Take your nose out his arse for 1 second.

The quote above seems to contradict the 10%.

No it doesn't he doesn't say anywhere that this is all the money paid for. We know certain people are desperate to jump down GLS throat at any given chance, we seen it with one of his last statements were people disseminated every single word that didn't even come close to contradicting his claim. This Q&A is the same. 

Neither of us know any facts, and the likelihood is we never will, but because GLS said it doesn't make it automatically true. The closest we will get is when the accounts are published. My reckoning is the family stand got nowhere near the 10% increase in playing budget previously mentioned, the 2 players in January is far more believable to me.  Christ you even started your chat on the subject with it being worth 1, maybe 2 max players! 

A man with full access to our finances, that doesn't financially benefit or benefit in any other way from lying, someone who was given a really easy out this summer if the deal didn't make really good income "we've listened to feedback and we're stopping the arrangement"... I think that's pretty reliable. You can think it isn't close but that boils down to you calling him a liar, something I have no idea why he would do (because he doesn't benefit). Yep my prediction was 1-2 players, turns out it was actually 10% of the player budget, great news and more reason to continue the arrangement until we're filling the seats. 

If GLS told you he had a bag full of magic beans you'd believe him FFS

No I wouldn't but I don't see why he'd ever say that because I again can't see where he would benefit...