Car Seat Belts

faraway saint

Just seen a report indicating that a large percentage of people that die in car crashes are not wearing a seat belt.

Quite surprised as I've just seen this a something that everybody does?

At the minute there's only a fine (£100) for not wearing one, currently no points on your licence. 

NIreland have a stricter approach, up to £500 fine and 3 penalty points.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49040525

Was driving a car that hit black ice on a back road to Lochwinooch. The car spun hit a embankment end up turning over onto its roof. The seatbelt saved me serious injury. When the Police arrived he got out the car and fell on his bum. Oh right I know what has happened here. The car was written off. That day I understood just how good seatbelts are. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Was driving a car that hit black ice on a back road to Lochwinooch. The car spun hit a embankment end up turning over onto its roof. The seatbelt saved me serious injury. When the Police arrived he got out the car and fell on his bum. Oh right I know what has happened here. The car was written off. That day I understood just how good seatbelts are. 

Experience is a good teacher - if one lives to do the learning.

in the last 10 years i have been visiting some of the largest construction sites in europe and while the civils teams are on site the most common breach of site rules is not wearing safety belts, this covers dumper drivers, excavators, labourers, engineers and managers/directors.   You are talking around 80% of the driving popul;ation which can be up to 1000 people at peak periods so the risk level on rough floating roads is absolutely massive

It is seen as weak to wear a seat belt and expose yourself to reidicule.  Installing seat-belt alarms only leads the dumb b*stards to plug the belt in permanently and sit on top of it.  My usual response is to confiscate the keys and tell the offenders to walk back to the compound (in one case 11Km away) and recover the keys from the site manager.  i also confiscate keys and take them back to head office and send them registered post back to the contractor's head office If I find a manager or engineer has left their pick-up in the car park with the belt still plugged in.  This has been heavily criticised, but solves the problem within days.

In so many ways, the gains that have been made over 30 years up to the 80s in public safety are being eroded at an alarming rate

Edited by beyond our ken

7 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

in the last 10 years i have been visiting some of the largest construction sites in europe and while the civils teams are on site the most common breach of site rules is not wearing safety belts, this covers dumper drivers, excavators, labourers, engineers and managers/directors.   You are talking around 80% of the driving popul;ation which can be up to 1000 people at peak periods so the risk level on rough floating roads is absolutely massive

It is seen as weak to wear a seat belt and expose yourself to reidicule.  Installing seat-belt alarms only leads the dumb b*stards to plug the belt in permanently and sit on top of it.  My usual response is to confiscate the keys and tell the offenders to walk back to the compound (in one case 11Km away) and recover the keys from the site manager.  i also confiscate keys and take them back to head office and send them registered post back to the contractor's head office If I find a manager or engineer has left their pick-up in the car park with the belt still plugged in.  This has been heavily criticised, but solves the problem within days.

In so many ways, the gains that have been made over 30 years up to the 80s in public safety are being eroded at an alarming rate

Hear hear get it every day on building site, as a manger it drives me insane the amount of guys I have put off site for sitting on belts on dumpers cos it’s easier to jump on and off when getting loaded, if they leave keys I take them out and throw in the nearest foundation.