Goalkeepers.

St.Ricky

Hladky is an excellent goalkeeper and, as mentioned elsewhere, attracting attention from wealthier clubs. Despite this (and I am a great fan of his) we have lost a lot of goals with him between the sticks. How does his actual record compare with past keepers? 

24 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Hladky is an excellent goalkeeper and, as mentioned elsewhere, attracting attention from wealthier clubs. Despite this (and I am a great fan of his) we have lost a lot of goals with him between the sticks. How does his actual record compare with past keepers? 

They lost more with a decent defence. :whistle

21 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Pretty pointless question as a generality, if you were to say what is his save rate as a % of shots on target in comparison with previous keepers it may have some validity but in general terms depends who was in front of him as has been suggested.

Like the vast majority of his posts TBH. 

Starting a thread for attention, his speciality. 

PS This nonsense is in the rumour mill, not the brightest. 🤡

Edited by faraway saint

13 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Pretty pointless question as a generality, if you were to say what is his save rate as a % of shots on target in comparison with previous keepers it may have some validity but in general terms depends who was in front of him as has been suggested.

That is the point. An amazing keeper who has saved so many shots. I wonder if there is any way of measuring because, as you rightly say he and others may have been left more or less exposed. Didn't stop records being kept of shut outs etc. 

25 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Like the vast majority of his posts TBH. 

Starting a thread for attention, his speciality. 

PS This nonsense is in the rumour mill, not the brightest. 🤡

Surely all threads are started for attention?

2 minutes ago, Johnny Rep said:

Have you just been released from somewhere secure?

just asking like.

Not secure enough it appears JR. 

Back to the goalkeeper question. I know Hladky is a great keeper from the evidence of my own eyes but stats are unlikely to reflect that. Is he the best we have had since I started watching Saints in 1973? He is up there with Thomson and Money in my book. 

20 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I wonder if there is any way of measuring

There is.

Look at the goals he concedes, and look at the saves he makes.

The goals he concedes - did he stand a chance. Would any keeper in our league have stopped it? Would any keeper on the world have had a chance?

The saves he makes - some will be expected, routine. But how many times does he leave you thinking - that should have been a goal. How the f**k did he stop that?

These are the things to look for. A goalkeeper can not be judged by the goals against column. Generally Celtic will concede less than the rest - because they allow less chances on goal, it doesn’t necessarily mean they have the best goalkeeper. Jordan Pickford was a quality goalkeeper at Sunderland yet conceded a ridiculous amount of goals in their relegation season from the Premiership - because he faced more shots than the rest and was let down by a horrendous defence. But in his case, it was more a case of stopping a 3-0, 4-0 becoming a 7 or 8. Stopped what he could, but an impossibility to stop them all.