Does The Club Need Fresh Investment?

Must be a ‘helluva’ car then... even if it was true, irrelevant. Well done to him for being such a success in his business life. 
It is a helluva car and I agree... Well done on his business acumen.

In all honesty, I reckon the depreciation on his car is probably more than lost interest... Especially at today's poor interest rates.

Not that's an issue... I only mentioned it in response to your question.

24 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I know from previous financial reports (which are available via this website) that we spent a lot more on wages during the Rae/Ross season (16/17) than we did the previous one under Murray/Rae (17/18) when we had to finance our first "great escape" and although there is the added factor of a promotion between the last two seasons some people previous comments on the 10% of player budget issue (and that includes you) are gonna look pretty naïve come November.

If you wanna regurgitate everything you read on the web as proof of being ITK that's your business but I'm not the only one who's called you out on this.

PS - The "you're effeminate" routine really dates you with dinosaurs like Jim Davidson etc - not only am I proud of my long, luxuriant hair but I moisturise to keep my skin in good condition.

Here is the thing I'm not going on past dealings.  Just wait till November comes around Colin. If I'm wrong throw it on my face . A fan wrote are we going bust on pie and bovril. I wrote no. Colin I wrote no check the history. What I did write that we have spent a lot of money in the last two years paying off managers and staff .  Not hard to work out.  Next maybe I'm wrong a certain player wages should lift an eye brow but no individual players wage will be in the accounts ( I think )  Mistakes  have been made  , we all make mistakes right ?  Will repeat  what I wrote  on pie and bovril. We have made big mistakes that has now cought up with us financially.  We are not going to fold as a club. We are skint I'm led to believe. Maybe its shit maybe not. Where I got it from arel guys who dont bull shit. They never say  who we are signing or what is going on at the club. However I know where they got their info as such I believe them. We are not going bust let's make that clear but player budget  is obviously low. Prove me wrong and I will buy you a bottle of your favourite tipple.  This is not against Scott we all make mistakes.  

Apologies for confusing your outrage with frustration and disappointment.
I have no idea of the outcomes you mention, nor do you. 
I didn't mention outcomes... I mentioned a number of areas where I reckon there is room for significant improvement in our outcomes.

You are sidestepping the question! Happy to have a go at me for wanting better for and from Saints... but not prepared to answer a simple question...

Are you satisfied with our current performance in fundraising and marketing? Do you see no room for improvement?

At least I made some positive suggestions rather than just criticise.

Again... I did so because I want better FOR and from Saints and believe we are falling way short of our potential.

10 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

I didn't mention outcomes... I mentioned a number of areas where I reckon there is room for significant improvement in our outcomes.

You are sidestepping the question! Happy to have a go at me for wanting better for and from Saints... but not prepared to answer a simple question...

Are you satisfied with our current performance in fundraising and marketing? Do you see no room for improvement?

At least I made some positive suggestions rather than just criticise.

Again... I did so because I want better FOR and from Saints and believe we are falling way short of our potential.

I'm not sidestepping anything. You literally have no idea about any of the points you made. For example, how many funerals took place in Paisley last year and how many took place at St Mirren?

I presume you don't know but seem to want to raise it as an issue.

16 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Here is the thing I'm not going on past dealings.  Just wait till November comes around Colin. If I'm wrong throw it on my face . A fan wrote are we going bust on pie and bovril. I wrote no. Colin I wrote no check the history. What I did write that we have spent a lot of money in the last two years paying off managers and staff .  Not hard to work out.  Next maybe I'm wrong a certain player wages should lift an eye brow but no individual players wage will be in the accounts ( I think )  Mistakes  have been made  , we all make mistakes right ?  Will repeat  what I wrote  on pie and bovril. We have made big mistakes that has now cought up with us financially.  We are not going to fold as a club. We are skint I'm led to believe. Maybe its shit maybe not. Where I got it from arel guys who dont bull shit. They never say  who we are signing or what is going on at the club. However I know where they got their info as such I believe them. We are not going bust let's make that clear but player budget  is obviously low. Prove me wrong and I will buy you a bottle of your favourite tipple.  This is not against Scott we all make mistakes.  

That's what I heard also. Also heard we are Iin financial melt down so why would Goodwin accept ,?. Scott is I n trouble this will back fire we are financially f**ked from what I'm hearing .

I'm not sidestepping anything. You literally have no idea about any of the points you made. For example, how many funerals took place in Paisley last year and how many took place at St Mirren?
I presume you don't know but seem to want to raise it as an issue.
"literally no idea about ANY of the points you made"

Not true. Not true at all.

Re funerals, I obviously don't know the precise number... Does that mean there is no scope for increase?

10 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

It is a helluva car and I agree... Well done on his business acumen.

In all honesty, I reckon the depreciation on his car is probably more than lost interest... Especially at today's poor interest rates.

Not that's an issue... I only mentioned it in response to your question.

Interest rates are very poor, i would imagine at best case scenario in no risk fixed rate bonds he could get about 2.75% all things staying equal. 

On £620k he could make in the region of £200k before tax on this rate over 10 years. 

With investment and riskier portfolios, many times more.  That’s the reason why I think it’s strange when people say he’s not taking any financial hit. 

On 7/20/2019 at 11:27 PM, munoz said:

Has the present regime exhausted its efforts in trying to maximise revenue avenues for our club ? Should we be trying to trying to attract some new blood to the board ? Given the current state of affairs,  I'd be all for some new faces and financial input. 

Getting back on subject, the question raised by Munoz is perfectly valid. I have read through the 4 pages of this subject and as usual there is a tendency for some to ramble on about subject matter that isn't necessarily addressing the question.

Yes we all make mistakes, and there are many around who don't accept that our Board should be allowed any latitude in this respect, but it is the regularity of mistakes, at all levels, that worries me. We can only surmise that a certain amount of financial mismanagement has taken place and that the money that has come to the club from McGinn's sell-on clause has been mostly, if not completely squandered.

However, if you add to that there is the very public and obvious failure to appoint and keep a manager that can work within a budget, motivate the team, develop youth, and work with a disparate group on the Board for a stable period that is more than one year. Even the different managers that managed to gain us promotion and then keep us in the top league (when all the positive vibes were in line), have left the club under strained circumstances.

Lastly on the inability of the Chairman and his comrades to act as leaders with public statements when calm is called for, leaves me with a certain amount of doubt that the BoD's is actually capable of working as a strong group that will ultimately bring us any real success. I don't subscribe to the idea that they would rather have us in the 2nd tier of the football setup in Scotland, but the inability to draw in new funds, seek further investment and to use the income they have been lucky enough to generate brings me to the ultimate conclusion that yes new blood is required, and not just because that they have been club legends, or necessarily are fans.

I also don't subscribe to the notion that fan ownership will work. No-one has convinced me that once the club is in the fans' control that sufficient funds will be generated to make us stronger in the player buying market or in the player being paid market. We are a small club living on the margins of Scotland's biggest city, which is completely dominated by two bitter rivals. Shull is right, Scottish football would be a better place if both of the Glasgow brothers were off somewhere else plying their trade. Until that time we will continue to be a small time club, with limited long-term ambitions, but we certainly shouldn't be without the odd occasional dream, or hope that we can sometimes challenge the bigger boys around us and also that we are tightly run by a group of people that have a robust business management style that inspires confidence.

17 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Getting back on subject, the question raised by Munoz is perfectly valid. I have read through the 4 pages of this subject and as usual there is a tendency for some to ramble on about subject matter that isn't necessarily addressing the question.

Yes we all make mistakes, and there are many around who don't accept that our Board should be allowed any latitude in this respect, but it is the regularity of mistakes, at all levels, that worries me. We can only surmise that a certain amount of financial mismanagement has taken place and that the money that has come to the club from McGinn's sell-on clause has been mostly, if not completely squandered.

However, if you add to that there is the very public and obvious failure to appoint and keep a manager that can work within a budget, motivate the team, develop youth, and work with a disparate group on the Board for a stable period that is more than one year. Even the different managers that managed to gain us promotion and then keep us in the top league (when all the positive vibes were in line), have left the club under strained circumstances.

Lastly on the inability of the Chairman and his comrades to act as leaders with public statements when calm is called for, leaves me with a certain amount of doubt that the BoD's is actually capable of working as a strong group that will ultimately bring us any real success. I don't subscribe to the idea that they would rather have us in the 2nd tier of the football setup in Scotland, but the inability to draw in new funds, seek further investment and to use the income they have been lucky enough to generate brings me to the ultimate conclusion that yes new blood is required, and not just because that they have been club legends, or necessarily are fans.

I also don't subscribe to the notion that fan ownership will work. No-one has convinced me that once the club is in the fans' control that sufficient funds will be generated to make us stronger in the player buying market or in the player being paid market. We are a small club living on the margins of Scotland's biggest city, which is completely dominated by two bitter rivals. Shull is right, Scottish football would be a better place if both of the Glasgow brothers were off somewhere else plying their trade. Until that time we will continue to be a small time club, with limited long-term ambitions, but we certainly shouldn't be without the odd occasional dream, or hope that we can sometimes challenge the bigger boys around us and also that we are tightly run by a group of people that have a robust business management style that inspires confidence.

Well argued case for strengthening the board. No argument there. Doubt over the fan ownership model being able to attract fresh invrstment. No argument there, whatever t h e merits of fan ownership may be..bringing in fresh invrstment is not one of them. 

I bought into BtB because I genuinely believed that as a club we were in freefall with a board who by their own admission had chucked it. The process reinvigorated the club, their were certain concerns i had regarding how 'new revenue' could be raised if at the outset Smisa had no money to invest, and the chairman wasn't investing. 

I had further concerns of the make up of the board as I coudnt see again where any initial investment might come from? On querying why Wardrobe managed to get a blazer after doing all he could to prevent Smisa's success with BtB, where he actually coralled the fans council into not supporting BtB! It was "suggested" he got a blazer because he 'might' invest. That was obviously bullshit on his and perhaps the chairman's behalf as not only has there been no investment, but directors now take not insignificant expenses out of the club!

Thommo at the time was relucant to openly support BtB for the same reasons, those being he couldn't see how we would prosper long term without ongoing investment. Then when the club started asking for smisa money to buy matchballs, hand dryers, loans to fix the USH, and going apeshit because members voted to spend £1200 of THEIR money on a local youth team who have been providing free coaching and involvement for decades.... it was obvious they'd screwed the pooch!

money from transfers of players they inherited, or picked up a sell on fee from have papered over the huge 'money pit' that is the board's hiring and firing strategy..... until now!

with seemingly only Hladky likely to fetch a fee in the near future, Goodwin has walked into the lowest budget in the league and lower than some in the league below. 

He has inherited a squad, that without all the players who left this summer would have seen us relegated..! This Ross knew, and drove the length and breadth of the UK to find his 'out'. Our chances now of picking up the quality of Popesc, Musek, Corbu, Hodson, Dreyer, Jackson, Anton, Hammil etc are slim to nil. Ffs big Nazon couldnt crack a regular start for us last season, oh how we'd love it to have him available now!

the big dutch guy wasnt going to be the new Thommo, but he did look like he could be a real handful to defences if we could get the ball to him. Unfortunately we do not have, or are offering the level of wages to sign players of this quality again. I think our best bet now is to try and secure a couple of really good loanees, you may not have to pay their full wages, and if they get injured, or don't come up to snuff you can ship them back to their club,, and try again.

the hundreds of thousands frittered away have now put us in a real fix. As i have posted before, i dont freak out one way or the other about these league cup group game results. It is to me pre season and a bit of a mix up. That said if you cant put EKFC, DUFC and Endinburgh to the sword, and at least progess like last season then it's obvious how poorly prepared, run and financed we currently are.

my real and honest fear is now for Goody, who this rotten board will not hesitate in hanging out to dry in September, like Stubbs last year, in the hope that the fans will pile on the hate, and deflect all the blame from them to the manager again. 

You can almost smell the fear coming from the boardroom, and they arent going to stand up and shoulder the responsibility when they've got a manager and technical director (ffs) to wheel out for the  firing squad.

Edited by Lord Pityme

19 hours ago, St.Ricky said:
19 hours ago, waldorf34 said:

That's easy. You contact Smisa,as a member and ask if they can remove the chairman of the club. They can confirm this .

And he has put a penny in the club he paid money to buy  shares  ,that is all

Waldorf. Buying the shares from other shareholders put money in their pockets. The money did not go into the club. 

As far as I know, GSL, has not lent nor invested in the club itself. 

That's a bit rich Ricky, so what does one call the time he puts in at no cost? And more to the point if he had not stumped up and bought the aforementioned shares it is highly lightly there would be no club.  To many pedants on here at the moment methinks.

23 hours ago, Kemp said:
On 7/21/2019 at 11:20 AM, proudtobeabuddy said:

Ok i'll put it another way... are we ever going to find out the complete truth? i doubt it. Meanwhile we have this season about to start and we have no choice but to move on.

I agree no point dwelling on it, but I certainly do hope that eventually the truth comes out & believe it is important that it does.

yes, but only if it meets your agenda.  Should we not simply move on and stop digging at old wounds?

Just now, jaybee said:

That's a bit rich Ricky, so what does one call the time he puts in at no cost? And more to the point if he had not stumped up and bought the aforementioned shares it is highly lightly there would be no club.  To many pedants on here at the moment methinks.

You misread me. I'm not knocking GLS. I am however being realistic and accurate.. Not pedantic. 

I'm not wholly convinced by t h e fan ownership model but enough were to make it work. Full marks to GLS for negotiating a deal which suits both the fans and himself. 

On 7/21/2019 at 11:24 AM, Cornwall_Saint said:
On 7/21/2019 at 11:01 AM, proudtobeabuddy said:

This is assuming that Kearney was squeaky clean in the happenings since the end of last season, i have my doubts but i don't care either because we move on.  I wholeheartedly agree with you on the Stubbs mistake. I don't think GS and co. can afford many more mistakes but i think Goodwin is a step forward.

I’ll agree that the Kearney/Scott situation right now is based on our own opinions as none of us know the full truth, personally from the snippets I’ve seen I’m on Oran’s side, but I understand why some stay neutral or back GS right now.

Goodwin should be a step forward, but for some reason he’s been shafted going into the League Cup and it’s led to our shocking exit. I hope he gets the backing needed before the league starts. I’m extremely pissed off that we’ve gone into the Cup with a threadbare squad, but I won’t blame Goodwin for that as we have no idea who’s identifying players, who’s trying to bring them in and who’s actually negotiating the contracts. He’s a good manager who did a great job with Alloa, hopefully the board back him as needed because right now we could barely handle League Two never mind the Prem.

Like I said we need to move on ..........And how has JG been shafted?  tell me how we are meant to have brought in around six players (that met with JG's approval) , gelled them with the rest of the squad played three or four games to help achieve this and won all our cup games ....... only with a time machine methinks, it just wasn't possible.  Everyone should stop bitching , get on with supporting thee TEAM irrespective of whether or not you particularly like the manager or owner, it's the TEAM you support ....surely?