Why has the Director of Football failed?

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

As an avid Old Firm apologist, I’ll leave that to you.

Lets see. All u talk about is either Sevco or slagging off Saints fans. Your best pal flies the union jack and boris and katie. enjoy tomorrow.

Edited by DougJamie

43 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

League cup campaign is not acceptable but it hardly means our whole summer/ season will be a mess 

Judging our transfer window in July :lol:

I'm not judging the transfer policy in July. I do think that we have done better in January over the past couple of years. Something to do with a manager being in place before the window perhaps? 

46 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

League cup campaign is not acceptable but it hardly means our whole summer/ season will be a mess 

Judging our transfer window in July :lol:

I'm not judging the transfer policy in July. I do think that we have done better in January over the past couple of years. Something to do with a manager being in place before the window perhaps? 

11 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Lets see. All u talk about is either Sevco or slagging off Saints fans. Your best pal flies the union jack and boris and katie. enjoy tomorrow.

Nice edit....................tick tock. :lol:

Here's the bit that was edited................ Ur obviously a loyalist UDA cnut..... enjoy tomorrow. ..

Edited by faraway saint

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Here's the bit that was edited................ Ur obviously a loyalist UDA cnut..... enjoy tomorrow. ..

The man from Arbroath is back. 

Stir, stir, stir. 

New ideas please. 

14 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I actually was saving that bit for later but you ruined the surprise. See you in the bin soon no doubt:wink:

19 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Goodwin has confirmed for weeks there are targets and offers on the table. There’s a reason we brought in Gus. He’s had one full window & it was a Successful one.

I personally think it makes little sense to judge this windows transfer activity when we know likely another half a dozen signings will be incoming. 

You were part of a lynch mob that forced out a manager after 4 games.

How many games will you give the current manager?

That's right. The normally docile GLS ignored Stubbs taking training in an unprofessional manner, ignored his disastrous dealing in the transfer window, ignored performances and results (Kilmarnock and Dumbarton being decent showings in a dozen games in charge), ignored results, ignored dressing room unresult, ignored the deteriorating relationship between Stubbs and the board, ignored the sour relationship between Stubbs and the fans, and sacked Stubbs based on fans posting about the manager on this fans' unofficial forum. 

Given the truth of what you say, it follows that GLS will cave in to whatever fans post on here. Maybe we'll hire part-time players and reduce ticket prices to £5 for adults?

Tony Fitzpatrick has said in his book, there was no plan to sack Stubbs (even after the Hearts game) but because Stubbs had seen a Daily Record story claiming Jim McIntyre was about to get his job he demanded that the board back him or sack him and having been pumped in every game after the flukey win against Dundee and taking into account the factors listed above the board decided that if Stubbs insisted on getting more cash and a public vote of confidence from the board they would rather sack him than back him.

Basically, Stubbs was sacked for believing the Daily Record!

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

You were part of a lynch mob that forced out a manager after 4 games.

How many games will you give the current manager?

That's right. The normally docile GLS ignored Stubbs taking training in an unprofessional manner, ignored his disastrous dealing in the transfer window, ignored performances and results (Kilmarnock and Dumbarton being decent showings in a dozen games in charge), ignored results, ignored dressing room unresult, ignored the deteriorating relationship between Stubbs and the board, ignored the sour relationship between Stubbs and the fans, and sacked Stubbs based on fans posting about the manager on this fans' unofficial forum. 

Given the truth of what you say, it follows that GLS will cave in to whatever fans post on here. Maybe we'll hire part-time players and reduce ticket prices to £5 for adults?

Tony Fitzpatrick has said in his book, there was no plan to sack Stubbs (even after the Hearts game) but because Stubbs had seen a Daily Record story claiming Jim McIntyre was about to get his job he demanded that the board back him or sack him and having been pumped in every game after the flukey win against Dundee and taking into account the factors listed above the board decided that if Stubbs insisted on getting more cash and a public vote of confidence from the board they would rather sack him than back him.

Basically, Stubbs was sacked for believing the Daily Record!

Serves the bugger right 😎

I think there is 2 ways of thinking, firstly the manager identifies targets and gives his targets to the board/dof/CEO, to get contracts signed. In which case I don't see the point in Gus, or secondly, the DOF identifies targets and pursues contracts and has JG as head coach in which case I don't see why we haven't signed anyone so far as a change of manager wouldn't affect recruitment. Maybe I'm cynical or maybe Gus's appointment is just jobs for pals, bottom line is that the current set up isn't serving smfc very well.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Or "Already better than Stubbs". :wink:

Jim turns up for work in good condition to lead training and command respect from the players so as with most other managers of the club is an improvement on Stubbs before a ball is kicked or a player is signed.

As I've already said elsewhere in the thread I think Goodwin deserves time, financial backing to sign players, and the club would benefit from having the same manager in place for a few seasons (assuming the board haven't appointed an absolute bombscare of a manager).

4 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Goodwin has confirmed for weeks there are targets and offers on the table. There’s a reason we brought in Gus. He’s had one full window & it was a Successful one.

I personally think it makes little sense to judge this windows transfer activity when we know likely another half a dozen signings will be incoming. 

Didn't I just say something similar? 

Far too early to judge. 

But

Clearly past recent history has shown that we have been more successful in January when we have had a manager in place. 

Doesn't mean that I don't think that we can have a good transfer window this time. 

27 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Jim turns up for work in good condition to lead training and command respect from the players so as with most other managers of the club is an improvement on Stubbs before a ball is kicked or a player is signed.

As I've already said elsewhere in the thread I think Goodwin deserves time, financial backing to sign players, and the club would benefit from having the same manager in place for a few seasons (assuming the board haven't appointed an absolute bombscare of a manager).

I've not said a single word against Goodwin. :blink:

You posted "Already better than Stubbs" where you had miscalculated the points gained by us this season compared to last season.

PS We're 2 points WORSE off than last season. 

It's way too early to start questioning Goodwin when he's taken on a difficult job made more difficult by other people. 

Edited by faraway saint

15 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I've not said a single word against Goodwin. :blink:

You posted "Already better than Stubbs" where you had miscalculated the points gained by us this season compared to last season.

It's way too early to start questioning Goodwin when he's taken on a difficult job made more difficult by other people. 

While its true i'd forgotten about bonus points, I was thinking more that we'd managed to beat a League 2 side rather than draw and win the penalty shoot out for the bonus points.

I wasn't suggesting you had said a word against Goodwin, btw, just as earlier when I posted that by watching buddievision (or BT or live streams online) I was saying you've probably watched as much of St Mirren via telly as most people who go to games and are perfectly able to take an informed view on how we're shaping up this season watching from afar. With the exception us using buddievision you probably have a better view of the game and incidents on replays than people at the game!

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

While its true i'd forgotten about bonus points, I was thinking more that we'd managed to beat a League 2 side rather than draw and win the penalty shoot out for the bonus points.

I wasn't suggesting you had said a word against Goodwin, btw, just as earlier when I posted that by watching buddievision (or BT or live streams online) I was saying you've probably watched as much of St Mirren via telly as most people who go to games and are perfectly able to take an informed view on how we're shaping up this season watching from afar. With the exception us using buddievision you probably have a better view of the game and incidents on replays than people at the game!

:cloud9

I have never understood why we have never explored the USA player market. I'm not sure how the Andy Dorman deal came around though was one of the most effective signings in the last 25 years easily.

I watch the MLS and although the standard isn't brilliant, there are some very good players there. The whole academy systems also have some players I am sure that can be unearthed. I always thought if possible it would be great to have some linkup with a club or youth academy over there in some capacity.

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Didn't I just say something similar? 

Far too early to judge. 

But

Clearly past recent history has shown that we have been more successful in January when we have had a manager in place. 

Doesn't mean that I don't think that we can have a good transfer window this time. 

Debatable, we did well in January last, terrible in the summer before and the previous season we pretty much did enough in the summer to get us to the title (although admittedly with securing some of JR January signings) 

The season before better again in January & worse in the summer. 

I don’t really think it’s a matter of the timing of the window though, more the managers in charge. (Two poor summers being Stubbs & Rae) 

We don’t need a director of football. We need cash to persuade quality players to sign for us. Get rid of Gus and use the money from his wage and plane tickets/accommodation in Spain etc to bring in players like Popescu and the Dutch striker who both seemed to be bemused with what we could offer them.