Why has the Director of Football failed?

1 hour ago, Big Yards said:

We don’t need a director of football. We need cash to persuade quality players to sign for us. Get rid of Gus and use the money from his wage and plane tickets/accommodation in Spain etc to bring in players like Popescu and the Dutch striker who both seemed to be bemused with what we could offer them. 

Where are you getting that information?

9 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Goodwin has confirmed for weeks there are targets and offers on the table. There’s a reason we brought in Gus. He’s had one full window & it was a Successful one.

I personally think it makes little sense to judge this windows transfer activity when we know likely another half a dozen signings will be incoming. 

Absolute nonsense. The WHOLE reason given for the appointment of MacPherson was to prevent the scenario we now face. His job was meant to keep the ball rolling in the event of managerial upheaval. He is either not bothering his arse or he isn't up to the task. If that was indeed why he was employed he's abjectly failed. He should be sent packing. He is a fraud. Pure and simple. 

7 hours ago, Big Yards said:

We don’t need a director of football. We need cash to persuade quality players to sign for us. Get rid of Gus and use the money from his wage and plane tickets/accommodation in Spain etc to bring in players like Popescu and the Dutch striker who both seemed to be bemused with what we could offer them. 

Absolute rubbish.

Popescu is on €1,000 a week at Dinamo and we covered the lot in his loan. If we were getting him back on loan, he'd still be on the same wage, whoever of the two clubs was paying whatever percentage he'd still get that full wage. 

A loan player on a grand a week can't demand a wage increase to go out on loan so we wouldn't even be offering personal terms for him to be bemused by. 

The issue was purely between St. Mirren and Dinamo agreeing terms of the loan. 

On 7/21/2019 at 2:34 PM, TPAFKATS said:

Should we not judge the success or failure of our dealings in the transfer window once the window closes?

For me there are two parts to the transfer window dealings , and the most important part is having a balanced squad in place for the start of pre season training , this would have involved scouting players between January and May and offering them PCA,s to have them in place for pre season training .

The second part of transfer window dealings would be about getting the right loan players in , and maybe pulling in a player or two that has just been made available towards the end of the window .

For me , we have failed miserably in the first stage . I hope to see improvement in the next stage .

8 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Popescu was on the verge of a loan move. His club moved the goalposts with the terms and contribution.

We are no better off than our position last summer and the season starts next week. We are not 1 or two players short which would be acceptable, we are at the very least, half a squad short. Embarrassing we have not been able to solve the left-back position for one. We have had since last summer to find a long term replacement when Ecks was told he could leave, regardless of Muzeks short stay inbetween. We are absolutely ruining the development of Erhahon played out of position. 100% clear to all that he cannot operate at left back. It seems like the club will still use him as a back up left back if we get one in.

If anything changes this week then great, though in my mind, surely we had two lists drawn up of targets (one for premier,the other for championship). 

10 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

We are no better off than our position last summer and the season starts next week. We are not 1 or two players short which would be acceptable, we are at the very least, half a squad short. Embarrassing we have not been able to solve the left-back position for one. We have had since last summer to find a long term replacement when Ecks was told he could leave, regardless of Muzeks short stay inbetween. We are absolutely ruining the development of Erhahon played out of position. 100% clear to all that he cannot operate at left back. It seems like the club will still use him as a back up left back if we get one in.

If anything changes this week then great, though in my mind, surely we had two lists drawn up of targets (one for premier,the other for championship). 

This was posted by a forum member some time ago.

Maybe Kearney took them away with him and hid them in his couch? 

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Absolute nonsense. The WHOLE reason given for the appointment of MacPherson was to prevent the scenario we now face. His job was meant to keep the ball rolling in the event of managerial upheaval. He is either not bothering his arse or he isn't up to the task. If that was indeed why he was employed he's abjectly failed. He should be sent packing. He is a fraud. Pure and simple. 

So This is where your point falls down completely. There is a massive difference between keeping the ball rolling as you put it and getting players over the line. The latter for us and other teams at our level can be a timely process. 

To confuse no signings with no targets, back up targets, we’ll scouted players and plans in place to sign the right quality makes no sense. It’s also completely contrary to what Goodwin has said in several interviews (list as long as my arm) 

whether you like Gus or not we only have one window as a reference point so far for his signing capabilities and that’s January  even the most negative of fan on here would struggle to say it was anything other than successful 

9 hours ago, Big Yards said:

You mean go back to the model Stubbs used? 

6 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

You mean go back to the model Stubbs used? 

Yeah, that's exactly what he meant. :hammer

I think, as other teams in our league and the leagues below us manage to sign players people like to know why we seem to find it so difficult.

The reasons, well, no point adding to the speculation but the fact is we need new players and we aren't signing many. 

Who's fault, well, it's certainly not the fans. 

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

For me there are two parts to the transfer window dealings , and the most important part is having a balanced squad in place for the start of pre season training , this would have involved scouting players between January and May and offering them PCA,s to have them in place for pre season training .

For me , we have failed miserably in the first stage.

I completely agree - I just think our precarious position in the league will have curtailed that activity. We didn't know which league we'd be in until literally the last kick of the domestic season, while the likes of Livi, pretty much safe from Christmas onwards, will have been at liberty to plan ahead. (Whether they did that or not I don't know.)

Even Ross County will have been in a better position to plan than we will have been. Perils of being shite all season, I guess. 

14 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Yeah, that's exactly what he meant. :hammer

I think, as other teams in our league and the leagues below us manage to sign players people like to know why we seem to find it so difficult.

The reasons, well, no point adding to the speculation but the fact is we need new players and we aren't signing many. 

Who's fault, well, it's certainly not the fans. 

I’m just struggling to understand the criticism of Gus when his first and only full window was a success. 

Does other clubs signing quicker mean they’ve managed to recruit well? Seem to remember Dundee and St Mirren both being pretty snappy last summer. 

My whole point is the impatience in our supporters, that have this summer recruitment written off before we see who most of the new signings will be. It boggles the mind. 

Should point out I am not making excuses for the league cup, that’s inexcusable even for this squad and they personally need to shoulder the blame along with the coaches but these things happen, it doesn’t need to define our season. 

People wanting to place blame on recruitment right now need to ask themselves though. Is it a question of blame? 

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

The second part of transfer window dealings would be about getting the right loan players in , and maybe pulling in a player or two that has just been made available towards the end of the window .

For me , we have failed miserably in the first stage . I hope to see improvement in the next stage .

First part is difficult to do when you don’t know what league you’ll be playing in. People also forget players and agents aren’t stupid, they’ll want to get the best deal & that isn’t necessarily a club that could get relegated. 

Stage 2, more and more players are becoming available later in the window as clubs up the foot chain change their squad. Have we potentially left us in a position to get better players by waiting when other clubs have went faster? 

Correct me if I’m wrong as well, I haven’t noticed much in the way of loans over the top flight so far. I imagine they’ll come closer to the end again based on previous points of other clubs strengthening.  

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

I’m just struggling to understand the criticism of Gus when his first and only full window was a success. 

Does other clubs signing quicker mean they’ve managed to recruit well? Seem to remember Dundee and St Mirren both being pretty snappy last summer. 

My whole point is the impatience in our supporters, that have this summer recruitment written off before we see who most of the new signings will be. It boggles the mind. 

Should point out I am not making excuses for the league cup, that’s inexcusable even for this squad and they personally need to shoulder the blame along with the coaches but these things happen, it doesn’t need to define our season. 

People wanting to place blame on recruitment right now need to ask themselves though. Is it a question of blame? 

The players in question, I am sure must be worth the wait if the club are sticking by their targets. Quality over quantity.

I know it has been said that the gap left between departing manager and new manager, has probably set us back 2 weeks in preparation, if not longer if you consider a different style of play etc. It is not an ideal scenario, though that would explain the time we are waiting to get said players over the line. 

14 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Do you have a list of players that Gus was solely responsible for signing in this successful window that you mentioned?

On 7/21/2019 at 2:51 PM, LargsBud said:

We are trying to get players of a good calibre this year which is difficult to get. I'm sure if we wanted to we could sign about 6 or 7 diddies tomorrow of standard of players we brought in last summer.

When you are looking for quality players on our budget it takes time. We just need to wait and be patient.

This cup competition is a farce coming this early. It makes a total mockery of the tournament which relegates it to basically a pre season tournament.

I'm not entirely sure you would have said this had we won our three games at a canter! 

8 minutes ago, munoz said:

Do you have a list of players that Gus was solely responsible for signing in this successful window that you mentioned?

Nope but would you assume someone brought in for recruitment didn't have a hand in a lot (or all) of the recruitment? OK at the Q&A confirmed the first part of any recruitment would go through Gus. 

This is typical St Moan fan behaviour. Assume the most negative with zero evidence. 

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

A little harsh, I feel, but the sounds of silence from Greenhill Road as we get so close to the KO of the real competition leaves me more than a little concerned.

As other posters have said it takes a minimum of three to four weeks to get any new players up to speed and assimilated into the team and then get the team playing with the confidence we want to see.

As it has been articulated, whether we bin a manager and have a down period of weeks before a new one is in place, the appointment of a DoF was primarily to ensure that any hiccup in that process would be covered by a person over-seeing the day-today running of the team. I am surprised however that even with the departure of OK that the so-called list of targets that should have been in place, and in theory may not have changed very much, hasn't materialised. It doesn't need a change from OK to JG to see that we lack quality in a number of positions throughout the team and that any list should be prioritising options for these positions as a starting point, and then for JG to run the ruler over them and decide which option he likes most.

As I've said in another post I fear that players and their agents don't see us as a good place to ply their trade and that we will again finish up with a lot of loan deals and players that can't get a club after the window has closed.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Absolute rubbish.

Popescu is on €1,000 a week at Dinamo and we covered the lot in his loan. If we were getting him back on loan, he'd still be on the same wage, whoever of the two clubs was paying whatever percentage he'd still get that full wage. 

A loan player on a grand a week can't demand a wage increase to go out on loan so we wouldn't even be offering personal terms for him to be bemused by. 

The issue was purely between St. Mirren and Dinamo agreeing terms of the loan. 

Eh no! The club even said they couldn't agree terms with his agent. I.e. MONEY..... we are offering peanuts!

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Eh no! The club even said they couldn't agree terms with his agent. I.e. MONEY..... we are offering peanuts!

This could easily of been about a fee for the loan or a fee for transfer, yet again you assume the absolute worst. 

Our average wage last season was around about £50k so unless we have massively dropped that, I don’t see any reason why we couldn’t cover £52k a year. 

2 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

This could easily of been about a fee for the loan or a fee for transfer, yet again you assume the absolute worst. 

Our average wage last season was around about £50k so unless we have massively dropped that, I don’t see any reason why we couldn’t cover £52k a year. 

Actually 1,000 Euros a week is roughly £47,000 per annum so it would have been in our budget, (if your average salary figures are correct).

25 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Nope but would you assume someone brought in for recruitment didn't have a hand in a lot (or all) of the recruitment? OK at the Q&A confirmed the first part of any recruitment would go through Gus. 

This is typical St Moan fan behaviour. Assume the most negative with zero 

You've alot assumptions going on. 

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

You've alot assumptions going on. 

I assume that OK was telling the truth when he said the first point of contact for recruitment targets would be Gus. I assume he is doing his job, I assume we have a list of targets. 

You might ask what I base them on?.. 

- OK comments that I was present for 

- GLS & OK comments on the nature of Gus job, that I was also present for/ published interviews 

- the night & day difference between recruitment pre & post Gus last season

- JG comments on the number of transfer targets we have 

If you’re assuming Gus isn’t doing his job, what are you basing it on? 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

So This is where your point falls down completely. There is a massive difference between keeping the ball rolling as you put it and getting players over the line. The latter for us and other teams at our level can be a timely process. 

To confuse no signings with no targets, back up targets, we’ll scouted players and plans in place to sign the right quality makes no sense. It’s also completely contrary to what Goodwin has said in several interviews (list as long as my arm) 

whether you like Gus or not we only have one window as a reference point so far for his signing capabilities and that’s January  even the most negative of fan on here would struggle to say it was anything other than successful 

You make a fair point in your final sentence. That doesn't invalidate Menstrie's point on PCA's