Why has the Director of Football failed?

3 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

You make a fair point in your final sentence. That doesn't invalidate Menstrie's point on PCA's

Never my intention to invalidate PCAs just a known barrier on them is not knowing what league a club will be in. It’s not a red line though, look at Josh todd to Dundee. 

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Absolute rubbish.

Popescu is on €1,000 a week at Dinamo and we covered the lot in his loan. If we were getting him back on loan, he'd still be on the same wage, whoever of the two clubs was paying whatever percentage he'd still get that full wage. 

A loan player on a grand a week can't demand a wage increase to go out on loan so we wouldn't even be offering personal terms for him to be bemused by. 

The issue was purely between St. Mirren and Dinamo agreeing terms of the loan. 

... which is not what the official St Mirren FC club statement said.

9 hours ago, bazil85 said:

So This is where your point falls down completely. There is a massive difference between keeping the ball rolling as you put it and getting players over the line. The latter for us and other teams at our level can be a timely process. 

To confuse no signings with no targets, back up targets, we’ll scouted players and plans in place to sign the right quality makes no sense. It’s also completely contrary to what Goodwin has said in several interviews (list as long as my arm) 

whether you like Gus or not we only have one window as a reference point so far for his signing capabilities and that’s January  even the most negative of fan on here would struggle to say it was anything other than successful 

I'll start my answer with the same phrase I used previously.

Absolute nonsense.

It was reported that he got the job to stop EXACTLY what's happening. If it needs a manager to be there to get things "over the line2 then there is NO POINT in having him. He's been employed all close season. IF he was employed to keep things ticking over then, to be a success in the post, we would be far further down the line with signings. Not running around like headless  chickens looking at the bottom of the barrel.

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

I'll start my answer with the same phrase I used previously.

Absolute nonsense.

It was reported that he got the job to stop EXACTLY what's happening. If it needs a manager to be there to get things "over the line2 then there is NO POINT in having him. He's been employed all close season. IF he was employed to keep things ticking over then, to be a success in the post, we would be far further down the line with signings. Not running around like headless  chickens looking at the bottom of the barrel.

See if this was 1st of September & we were in this situation, fine, go nuts. But we have no idea the quality of the summer recruitment because most of it hasn’t happened yet. Yet again you’re confusing a lack of signings with a lack of activity behind the scenes. What don’t you understand about the right players sometimes taking time? Do you factually know come the end of this window Gus won’t have earned his wage like he did in January? 

Do you factually know we would have had some more high quality, great signings over the line if OK had remained? No, you’re assuming the worst as usual for a number of people on here. 

Yet again do you factually know we’re stuck at the bottom of the barrel & that Goodwin is lying about the list of identified targets? Some players don’t become available until later in the window after other squads finalise their signings. 

I can see some more humble pie getting served on here like the ‘get OK out’ brigade earlier in the year. :lol:

5 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

See if this was 1st of September & we were in this situation, fine, go nuts. But we have no idea the quality of the summer recruitment because most of it hasn’t happened yet. Yet again you’re confusing a lack of signings with a lack of activity behind the scenes. What don’t you understand about the right players sometimes taking time? Do you factually know come the end of this window Gus won’t have earned his wage like he did in January? 

Do you factually know we would have had some more high quality, great signings over the line if OK had remained? No, you’re assuming the worst as usual for a number of people on here. 

Yet again do you factually know we’re stuck at the bottom of the barrel & that Goodwin is lying about the list of identified targets? Some players don’t become available until later in the window after other squads finalise their signings. 

I can see some more humble pie getting served on here like the ‘get OK out’ brigade earlier in the year. :lol:

What I do know is that very few quality signings who don't have injury problems or attitude problems wait until the season is underway before deciding which club they'd like to play for in the season ahead, unless another club makes their own club an offer they can't refuse.

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Measure of Gus's contribution thus far.... we can only muster four outfield subs tonight, and all are from the U19's squad, with another couple in from the start. 

How does that measure Gus contribution? The players we sign before the window will measure it. 

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

What I do know is that very few quality signings who don't have injury problems or attitude problems wait until the season is underway before deciding which club they'd like to play for in the season ahead, unless another club makes their own club an offer they can't refuse.

Do you know that’s true? Why about other clubs finalising their squads and deciding players won’t be required based on what they’ve signed? 

5 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:
9 minutes ago, bazil85 said:
How does that measure Gus contribution? The players we sign before the window will measure it. 

You can't sign anyone before the window! Dafty!

I meant before the window closes but I bet you knew that. Second best day ever? :rolleyes:

It’s still irrelevant, ‘thus far’ in itself is irrelevant because his job is recruitment. Would you just a sprinter 60 meters into the 100 meters? 
Can't be that irrelevant as you responded to it!

Personally, I'd never "just" a sprinter!
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji12]

1 minute ago, BuddieinEK said:

Can't be that irrelevant as you responded to it!

Personally, I'd never "just" a sprinter!
emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji12.png

:lol::lol: I have one eye on stranger things, I really should be proof reading.

I was however pointing out where judging someone on a job that isn’t finished yet doesn’t really make sense. 

I meant before the window closes but I bet you knew that. Second best day ever? :rolleyes:
Yet again I'm supposed to know not to take you at your word or take you literally!

No wonder people struggle to believe you.

ps... Had you been smarter rather than believing in a personal agenda, you could have countered that you can indeed sign players before the window... If they are out of contract!

You used to put up a better fight.

Disappointed in you Baz.

[emoji12]

I'm  not really on the side of the booing or panicking but a very real question does need to be asked here:

Why are there two people, namely Gus MacPherson and Tony Fitzpatrick, who in a combined effort seem to be doing one man's old job and doing it a lot, lot worse job of it than their (admittedly very good) predecessor?