Why has the Director of Football failed?

[emoji38][emoji38] I have one eye on stranger things, I really should be proof reading.
I was however pointing out where judging someone on a job that isn’t finished yet doesn’t really make sense. 
Errrr... I believe you said "senses"!

Which should I believe?
[emoji23][emoji12]

Just now, BuddieinEK said:

Yet again I'm supposed to know not to take you at your word or take you literally!

No wonder people struggle to believe you.

ps... Had you been smarter rather than believing in a personal agenda, you could have countered that you can indeed sign players before the window... If they are out of contract!

You used to put up a better fight.

Disappointed in you Baz.

emoji12.png

I’ve never said not to take me at my word or not to take me literally. That’s another fib from you  

I could have but proving you wrong isn’t as important to me as the other way round.  I’ve done it often enough :rolleyes:

I'm  not really on the side of the booing or panicking but a very real question does need to be asked here:

Why are there two people, namely Gus MacPherson and Tony Fitzpatrick, who in a combined effort seem to be doing one man's old job and doing it a lot, lot worse job of it than their (admittedly very good) predecessor?
Brian Caldwell did so much more for our club than most fans will ever realise.

Add in a few more hauners for Tony and Gus, and they would still combine to be less effective!

1 minute ago, BuddieinEK said:

Errrr... I believe you said "senses"!

Which should I believe?
emoji23.pngemoji12.png

That’s a poor effort even by your standards. Good to see you’ve lowered your effort to just trying to point out word errors though. You’ll have more success at that than fabricating  where I have lied or spun though, I’m sure. :lol:

It’s still irrelevant, ‘thus far’ in itself is irrelevant because his job is recruitment. Would you just a sprinter 60 meters into the 100 meters? 

What a strange analogy

So we shouldn’t judge anything part way through? At all?

No manager should ever be sacked until the season is over then?

Also, a sprinter that has a dreadful, slow start, generally doesn’t win the race

That’s a poor effort even by your standards. Good to see you’ve lowered your effort to just trying to point out word errors though. You’ll have more success at that than fabricating  where I have lied or spun though, I’m sure. [emoji38]

Why would I want to be fabricating where you have lied or spun?
Absolutely no need with your track record!

How does that measure Gus contribution? The players we sign before the window will measure it. 

FFS mate I admire your optimism, I really do, but we needed players in to compete in a national cup competition and he’s f**ked that up.

He may well play a blinder between now and the end of the window but he should be judged on how competitive we are now and that’s not particularly good.

We’ve got a week and a half until we kick of the league campaign at Easter Road and taking this squad there would be akin to forfeiting the points.

If it’s been difficult to get players in up until this point it might get even harder when we’re out of the cup and bottom of the league once we’ve played Hibs, Aberdeen and Sevco.

FFS mate I admire your optimism, I really do, but we needed players in to compete in a national cup competition and he’s f**ked that up.

He may well play a blinder between now and the end of the window but he should be judged on how competitive we are now and that’s not particularly good.

We’ve got a week and a half until we kick of the league campaign at Easter Road and taking this squad there would be akin to forfeiting the points.

If it’s been difficult to get players in up until this point it might get even harder when we’re out of the cup and bottom of the league once we’ve played Hibs, Aberdeen and Sevco.
You pragmatist you!

13 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

What a strange analogy

So we shouldn’t judge anything part way through? At all?

No manager should ever be sacked until the season is over then?

Also, a sprinter that has a dreadful, slow start, generally doesn’t win the race

We shouldn’t judge Gus on how our signings have been this summer when we know several more players are still to arrive. Do we know it’s been a dreadful start or the right players just haven’t came available? Slow and steady :lol:

12 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Why would I want to be fabricating where you have lied or spun?
Absolutely no need with your track record!

But you’ve showed zero times where I have lied or spun remember? Just like anyone else... it isn’t a thing. 

10 minutes ago, DLBud said:

League is our bread and butter, would you rather we rushed and signed poorer players capable of beating East Kilbride but not good enough for the SP? (Existing squad should have been good enough by far) 

Yes the league cup isn’t acceptable but the blame for that is squarely on the existing players and coaches, it isn’t Gus or Tony’s fault we have struggled against three part time teams ffs. 

We shouldn’t judge Gus on how our signings have been this summer when we know several more players are still to arrive. Do we know it’s been a dreadful start or the right players just haven’t came available? Slow and steady [emoji38]
No, we don't know? And that part of the problem. However, JG has said there was a list of targets as long as his arm. I would like to know if we made offers to any? Or are they all still unavailable.

League is our bread and butter, would you rather we rushed and signed poorer players capable of beating East Kilbride but not good enough for the SP? (Existing squad should have been good enough by far) 
Yes the league cup isn’t acceptable but the blame for that is squarely on the existing players and coaches, it isn’t Gus or Tony’s fault we have struggled against three part time teams ffs. 
Are you blaming JG for the League Cup results ?

Not sure why we can’t be competitive for both tbh?

If you took Popescu, Muzek, McAllister, Lyons, Jackson, Dreyer, Hodson and Nazon out of last season’s squad we’d have gone down comfortably. They’ve all left and we’ve replaced them with Andreu and Djorkaeff.

I agree we should still have enough to beat the teams put in front of us but we’ve no width, no left back, no quality at centre back, little guile in midfield and back up strikers as first choice.

You don’t need to wait until he’s finished to assess things now. It’s not good enough and you’re trying to defend the indefensible here.

Gus has one job and he’s failing at it right now.

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

See if this was 1st of September & we were in this situation, fine, go nuts. But we have no idea the quality of the summer recruitment because most of it hasn’t happened yet. Yet again you’re confusing a lack of signings with a lack of activity behind the scenes. What don’t you understand about the right players sometimes taking time? Do you factually know come the end of this window Gus won’t have earned his wage like he did in January? 

Do you factually know we would have had some more high quality, great signings over the line if OK had remained? No, you’re assuming the worst as usual for a number of people on here. 

Yet again do you factually know we’re stuck at the bottom of the barrel & that Goodwin is lying about the list of identified targets? Some players don’t become available until later in the window after other squads finalise their signings. 

I can see some more humble pie getting served on here like the ‘get OK out’ brigade earlier in the year. :lol:

Logically, I have to agree with you. 

It doesn't lessen the feeling of unease though or the fact that - so far - we don't appear to have builto on the relative success of last season. 

I think JG sees that issue as one to work on going forward and influences his preference for signing players on contracts rather than on loan. 

9 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:
16 minutes ago, bazil85 said:
We shouldn’t judge Gus on how our signings have been this summer when we know several more players are still to arrive. Do we know it’s been a dreadful start or the right players just haven’t came available? Slow and steady emoji38.png

No, we don't know? And that part of the problem. However, JG has said there was a list of targets as long as his arm. I would like to know if we made offers to any? Or are they all still unavailable.

Why? The issue with the modern world everyone wants all the information & they want it yesterday.  No other club publish regular correspondence between players they’ve tried to get and failed so why should we? 

Also why would we publish current targets freely? So other teams can undercut us like the Dutch boy? 

9 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:
14 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I guess he must be Turra. 

4 minutes ago, DLBud said:

Not sure why we can’t be competitive for both tbh?

If you took Popescu, Muzek, McAllister, Lyons, Jackson, Dreyer, Hodson and Nazon out of last season’s squad we’d have gone down comfortably. They’ve all left and we’ve replaced them with Andreu and Djorkaeff.

I agree we should still have enough to beat the teams put in front of us but we’ve no width, no left back, no quality at centre back, little guile in midfield and back up strikers as first choice.

You don’t need to wait until he’s finished to assess things now. It’s not good enough and you’re trying to defend the indefensible here.

Gus has one job and he’s failing at it right now.

Again how do you know he’s failing to? It’s easy to say we should have signed a bunch of players already but swift business isn’t always right business. Dundee & St Mirren we’re both very sharp last season. 

If the right players aren’t available when we want them it’s outside Gus or anyone else’s control. My view is, we should have been okay taking time to get players in because this group should have been a cake walk for the players currently hear. 

Would people be crying over Gus is we had won all four games? 

12 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:
17 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I’m blaming the players & coaching staff collectively. I feel they should be at a level to win those last three games easily. JG will be disappointed and I’m sure will shoulder the blame as he should do. I still 100% have confidence he’s the right man for the job. 

For people to think it’s Gus fault we couldn’t beat part time teams & JG & current squad are blameless is ridiculous. 

I’m blaming the players & coaching staff collectively. I feel they should be at a level to win those last three games easily. JG will be disappointed and I’m sure will shoulder the blame as he should do. I still 100% have confidence he’s the right man for the job. 
For people to think it’s Gus fault we couldn’t beat part time teams & JG & current squad are blameless is ridiculous. 

First task for all was to qualify from group
EPIC Fail on all at club and no one is blameless

“I’m blaming the players & coaching staff collectively.”

I struggle with this. Do we really blame the players for being not good enough to beat lower league opposition or does the blame lie with the club for presenting the manager with these players? Or with the manager for failing to send out a team capable of beating lower league opposition?

From the games I’ve seen this season I’m not convinced the players were to blame.