Why has the Director of Football failed?

They were only good enough when finally supplemented (January Window) by players that were technically good enough and mentally strong enough to help us scramble over the line.

We’ve only lost 3 players who were automatic starters at the end of the season, Popescu, Hodson and McAllister.

Along with the the experienced Andreu, the guys who are remaining should have been good enough to beat East Kilbride and Albion Rovers.

7 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

We’ve only lost 3 players who were automatic starters at the end of the season, Popescu, Hodson and McAllister.

Along with the the experienced Andreu, the guys who are remaining should have been good enough to beat East Kilbride and Albion Rovers.

I don't think that many would disagree that, even with our present threadbare squad, we should have been good enough to get through. 

Credit to the opposition. They performed well. Time to move on surely. 

Time to revisit this question after a passage of time which sees us finish any recruitment we are going to do. 

I don't think that many would disagree that, even with our present threadbare squad, we should have been good enough to get through. 
Credit to the opposition. They performed well. Time to move on surely. 
Time to revisit this question after a passage of time which sees us finish any recruitment we are going to do. 

Feel free to ‘move on’ and ‘revisit’ at a later date.

Anyone else who wishes to discuss in the meantime will do so!

Just now, Wendy Saintss said:

Feel free to ‘move on’ and ‘revisit’ at a later date.

Anyone else who wishes to discuss in the meantime will do so!

Endlessly covering the same ground - feel free. The forum is open to all within its rules. 

19 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

They were only good enough when finally supplemented (January Window) by players that were technically good enough and mentally strong enough to help us scramble over the line. How much that cost us and what potential effect it has had on this season's budget we don't really know.

This is the third season out of four where we seem to be stumbling in to the season ahead and in the previous two we have stayed up at the very last moment (once in the Championship), history is in danger again of repeating itself. I hope the next couple of weeks produces some quality signings and we go on to have a great season but to suggest that questions shouldn't be asked of those at the top when we are "currently" underprepared for the season ahead (again) is blind faith. I am not looking to blame nor looking for a stoning or an execution but to not recognise a recurring situation is  madness in my opinion.

Correct, we needed new talent brought in January due to the muck up in the summer, it was very much a fire fighting window but it was the only way we could do it, I think it's a lot for people to expect that we could have done any more in that window like tie down good players to longer deals). Thank god we aren't making the same mistakes in signing poor players again this summer eh? (so it would seem anyway). I have no doubt it cost us a good bit to bring in and exit players, it was a risk but a risk that paid off IMO. The money it cost would be a fraction to the money we would lose if relegated and have to shave from our budget. 

My personal view on our overarching position (and it's only a view) is that we got hurt bad last summer & no doubt it was costly & will have a knock on effect to an extent. The BoD made a mistake with Stubbs & that's the cause, their mistake. That doesn't mean they should be hammered for it continually as we try to get to a BAU stance & build for the future. They acted quickly, got rid of him & brought in a suitable replacement, they then spent money on Gus to mitigate the risk of it happening again. They also backed OK in a successful attempt to maintain SP status. Everything we did after Stubbs last season ultimately paid off when we got the players required to keep us in this league. We have one window to judge him & that judgment is job well done. That ultimately had a financial implication, for people not to appreciate that is unfair. 

We are now in a situation where I don't doubt there is a certain amount of knock on to our budget this summer (I still highly doubt we'll be lowest in the league, I imagine County, Livi & Hamilton have all got a good chance of being lower). What's the reaction from a number of fans after all of the above?

- Get Gus out

- Get GLS out 

- This is a shambles that we have rinced our budget

- We won't be signing players 

- They are being tight with the budget. 

Think about it, it all still relates back to a bad manager judgment last summer. The BoD have taken risks but ultimately risks that have paid off and managed to keep us in this league. They don't deserve all this backlash (again IMO). Let's see what situation we're in as the season unfolds. Personally I would be delighted with survival this season & not having to sack managers & replace players. It would give us a better foundation for progress next season. 

As for your look back on history, is it history repeating itself regarding existing BoD? Three seasons ago it was Rae who was a hangover from old BoD & in a lot of peoples opinion a poor choice at the time. Next season, success, we got promoted, last season Stubbs (see above regarding it being a mistake & it taking time to get back to where we need to be). The only thing I see repeating itself is GLS taking prompt action to maintain our status when things go wrong. To then be critical of the knock on effects to that is fine but remember the knock on effects are nowhere near as bad as relegation to L1/ Championship would have been.  

4 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Bla, bla , bla. Bottom line it's a lack of purse strings. That is the bottom line. Even Kyle is in the paper today saying we need players in NOW. He mentions injury's and we are down to the bare bones. If that is not an alarm bell hell knows what is. 

So you know we don't have funds to sign new players? All the stuff Goody has said about numbers he wants to bring in is false? 

37 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Correct, we needed new talent brought in January due to the muck up in the summer, it was very much a fire fighting window but it was the only way we could do it, I think it's a lot for people to expect that we could have done any more in that window like tie down good players to longer deals). Thank god we aren't making the same mistakes in signing poor players again this summer eh? (so it would seem anyway). I have no doubt it cost us a good bit to bring in and exit players, it was a risk but a risk that paid off IMO. The money it cost would be a fraction to the money we would lose if relegated and have to shave from our budget. 

My personal view on our overarching position (and it's only a view) is that we got hurt bad last summer & no doubt it was costly & will have a knock on effect to an extent. The BoD made a mistake with Stubbs & that's the cause, their mistake. That doesn't mean they should be hammered for it continually as we try to get to a BAU stance & build for the future. They acted quickly, got rid of him & brought in a suitable replacement, they then spent money on Gus to mitigate the risk of it happening again. They also backed OK in a successful attempt to maintain SP status. Everything we did after Stubbs last season ultimately paid off when we got the players required to keep us in this league. We have one window to judge him & that judgment is job well done. That ultimately had a financial implication, for people not to appreciate that is unfair. 

We are now in a situation where I don't doubt there is a certain amount of knock on to our budget this summer (I still highly doubt we'll be lowest in the league, I imagine County, Livi & Hamilton have all got a good chance of being lower). What's the reaction from a number of fans after all of the above?

- Get Gus out

- Get GLS out 

- This is a shambles that we have rinced our budget

- We won't be signing players 

- They are being tight with the budget. 

Think about it, it all still relates back to a bad manager judgment last summer. The BoD have taken risks but ultimately risks that have paid off and managed to keep us in this league. They don't deserve all this backlash (again IMO). Let's see what situation we're in as the season unfolds. Personally I would be delighted with survival this season & not having to sack managers & replace players. It would give us a better foundation for progress next season. 

As for your look back on history, is it history repeating itself regarding existing BoD? Three seasons ago it was Rae who was a hangover from old BoD & in a lot of peoples opinion a poor choice at the time. Next season, success, we got promoted, last season Stubbs (see above regarding it being a mistake & it taking time to get back to where we need to be). The only thing I see repeating itself is GLS taking prompt action to maintain our status when things go wrong. To then be critical of the knock on effects to that is fine but remember the knock on effects are nowhere near as bad as relegation to L1/ Championship would have been.  

OK Baz just a straight yes or no please

As it stands with one week to go until the league season starts are we as prepared as we should be with regards to player recruitment and bedding them in to the team/squad?

42 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

OK Baz just a straight yes or no please

As it stands with one week to go until the league season starts are we as prepared as we should be with regards to player recruitment and bedding them in to the team/squad?

No, of course we're not but the question isn't the full picture is it?

Is there mitigating circumstances regarding our ability to sign players that will improve our squad to the required standards?

Funnily enough, the Fakes seem to be foaming at the mouth about their club/chairman etc just now for some reason.

Does this look familiar?

Swap "Scott" for "Brown", "St.J" for "St.Mirren" and "May" for Popescu/Erwin etc. 😀

If May ends up at Dundee or St Mirren, Brown is going to have a lot to answer for. As another supporter says, they can't just stay silent on this. There's been massive disquiet about our summer business and a real sense of apathy amongst the support, which looked like being alleviated by the signature of May. You could almost guarantee it'd put extra bodies on the gate/extra ST sales. To get as far as we have only for it to fall to bits at the last second may well be down to wage demands - but as far as I'm concerned the only way that should have become an issue for us is if there's been a sudden ramping up in demands *after* the medical was completed.

The whole situation is a shambles, and the problem Brown now has is that any statement he issues is either going to blame the agent (and by extension the player) for making excessive wage demands (thus burning bridges with one of our most popular and, in recent times iconic, ex players) or is going to invite enormous criticism on himself by admitting he's refused to make funds available having previously promised to "go the extra mile"/

It's a ridiculous situation, and if he ends up at St Mirren or Dundee are we seriously saying they're in a better financial position to meet May's demands than us? That seems unlikely.

Edited by FTOF

2 hours ago, WeeBud said:
3 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Are you having an issue understanding me? Is there someone that could maybe explain it in simpler terms to you? (Difficult task right enough) 

fans have every right to be annoyed about the results, I certainly am. The PLAYERS & COACHES deserve to be criticised & I'm sure will be the first to put their hands up to the league cup campaign not being good enough. I have said this many times. 

Thats all fine. Us failing to beat a L2 & lowland league teams is not the fault of Gus or GLS ffs. :lol: on what planet should we need a stronger team then we have now to beat players 3 or 4 tiers below us?? :unsure:

I'm not a knocker of GLS, Gus, TF or anyone else Baz but when you take into account that a number of these players weren't good enough to beat Spartans or QP last season we shouldn't be too surprised that they failed to beat EKFC or Albion Rovers...……..to be in that situation at this stage of the season two years in a row is poor and it is only right to question GLS's part in it. My Dad always said to me a mistake is only really a mistake if you make it twice as you haven't learned from the first one!!

Just to say straight away, this is not a criticism of anyone, So let's for a minute think slightly differently. on the one hand many of those playing were part of the team that managed reasonable results in those last ten games; so are they suddenly crap? unlikely, isn't it much more likely that those players are missing the better players who enhanced their game ............such as in Ferdinand and Baird.  We have lost a few (Popescue, Muzak, McAllister, Jackson, Dreyer) who would have improved the quality and with them missing and some poor results comes an increased crisis of confidence and it's a rapid downward spiral, we all know in football confidence is king and we do certainly lack that at the moment.  All I am saying is give peace a chance ...... no, no that was John Lennon, but you get my drift.  😏

15 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Funnily enough, the Fakes seem to be foaming at the mouth about their club/chairman etc just now for some reason.

Victims of their own success to a degree. A load of them wanted Tommy Wright out last season!

They don't know how good they have it. St Johnstone in stature and nature are a Championship club. Hopefully this might be the season they return to their rightful place.

13 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Just to say straight away, this is not a criticism of anyone, So let's for a minute think slightly differently. on the one hand many of those playing were part of the team that managed reasonable results in those last ten games; so are they suddenly crap? unlikely, isn't it much more likely that those players are missing the better players who enhanced their game ............such as in Ferdinand and Baird.  We have lost a few (Popescue, Muzak, McAllister, Jackson, Dreyer) who would have improved the quality and with them missing and some poor results comes an increased crisis of confidence and it's a rapid downward spiral, we all know in football confidence is king and we do certainly lack that at the moment.  All I am saying is give peace a chance ...... no, no that was John Lennon, but you get my drift.  😏

:unsure: :rolleyes:

We'd very likely be in the championship right now if Gus wasnt here. 
Do you think OK could have identified all those players and brought them in on his own in January while trying to manage the team and adapt to a new league at the same time? 
Are you a soothsayer?? You dont know were we would be that's impossible. League starts next week and this team would struggle to finish in the top six of the championship

4 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:
22 hours ago, LargsBud said:
We'd very likely be in the championship right now if Gus wasnt here. 
Do you think OK could have identified all those players and brought them in on his own in January while trying to manage the team and adapt to a new league at the same time? 

Are you a soothsayer?? You dont know were we would be that's impossible. League starts next week and this team would struggle to finish in the top six of the championship

You also don’t know we’d struggle to be top six in the championship... 

So, things we know:

- GM has a list of players.

- JG has a list of players.

- GM has first say on players.

- JG has rejected some players.

Is it the case that GM is not going to entertain JG's list of players and similarly JG is not going to entertain GM's list of players?

Something's got to give and I don't imagine it will be GM.