Why has the Director of Football failed?

2 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

So your evidence that he is “poisonous and arrogant” is a throwaway phrase which someone else said?

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

No I believe he was disliked by people at the club who had to work with him the first time and eventually sacked on the pitch at hampden. You may have also noticed Kearney omitted his name when thanking individuals at the club. 

Edited by Big Yards

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

You're only an apprentice compared to mine, on Wednesday my first 20 posts were ALL trolled.

No need to worry, tick tock. :wink:

Little man. 

Must try harder methinks.

But - however hard you try it just won't be good enough.

PS Hint - try going to games. It is enjoyable.

Edited by St.Ricky

12 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

We’ve only lost 3 players who were automatic starters at the end of the season, Popescu, Hodson and McAllister.

Along with the the experienced Andreu, the guys who are remaining should have been good enough to beat East Kilbride and Albion Rovers.

From February to May McAllister was often on the bench and only began to cement a starting XI place once Dreyer was injured.

No I believe he was disliked by people at the club who had to work with him the first time and eventually sacked on the pitch at hampden. You may have also noticed Kearney omitted his name when thanking individuals at the club. 

Yet one of the directors from that time made him DOF!

I’ll take his opinion over your unfounded hearsay!

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

FFS. How many times do people need told that it wasn't Gus who said this but Bobby Williamson at Kilmarnock?

Seriously. How many times?

It's ridiculous.

It's almost like folk don't want to take information in as it doesn't fit the narrative they've built up in their own heads.

2 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Disliked so much that he lasted 7 years.

Disliked so much because the guy who lasted about 7 months didn't say 'cheers' on his way out.

Gus' time was up in 2010 and it was the correct time to go but the fact of the matter is that he was our most successful manager in over 20 years by the point he left.

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, Big Yards said:

And just as well Dreyer got injured cos McAllister kept us up almost single handedly

Again, won't listen to reason as it doesn't fit your narrative.

Dreyer provided a goal and 5 assists in his 10 matches. That isn't opinion, it's a fact. No-one disputes McAllister had a good run in but Dreyer brought a lot of attacking options to the team despite a relatively slow start.

You won't accept this though as you clearly don't do getting proven wrong.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Again, won't listen to reason as it doesn't fit your narrative.

Dreyer provided a goal and 5 assists in his 10 matches. That isn't opinion, it's a fact. No-one disputes McAllister had a good run in but Dreyer brought a lot of attacking options to the team despite a relatively slow start.

You won't accept this though as you clearly don't do getting proven wrong.

All I said was McAllister almost single handedly kept us up. If Dreyer had been fit he would have kept him out the team and to my mind he would have been nowhere near as influential as McAllister was.

Edited by Big Yards

2 minutes ago, Big Yards said:

All I said was McAllister almost single handedly kept us up. If Dreyer had been fit he would have kept him out the team and to my mind he would have been nowhere near as influential as McAllister was.

In what way did McAllister almost single handedly keep us up?

He wasn't particularly outstanding in either playoff match. Indeed, Mullen, Flynn, Gary Mac, Hladky and Stephen McGinn were more influential over the two legs than Kyle was.

10 hours ago, bazil85 said:
10 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:
On 7/24/2019 at 3:07 PM, LargsBud said:
We'd very likely be in the championship right now if Gus wasnt here. 
Do you think OK could have identified all those players and brought them in on his own in January while trying to manage the team and adapt to a new league at the same time? 

Are you a soothsayer?? You dont know were we would be that's impossible. League starts next week and this team would struggle to finish in the top six of the championship

You also don’t know we’d struggle to be top six in the championship... 

Oh and by the bye santaponasaint, I want my pressies early this year, next week in fact and I want a center forward, a left back, two center  halfs, two wingers, a billionaire sugar daddy and a partridge in a bloody pear tree..  Please!  and yes I HAVE been a good boy.😃

3 hours ago, jaybee said:

I thought Shetand was just you with a skirt on?  😎

I suspect that there is one poster who marauds around in at least 3 Aliases. Why? I wouldn't like to specualate on that. Will just say that it's not the behaviour of a mature and well balanced adult. 

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I suspect that there is one poster who marauds around in at least 3 Aliases. Why? I wouldn't like to specualate on that. Will just say that it's not the behaviour of a mature and well balanced adult. 

Why don't u give it a rest ya boring twat...ur posts r utter drivel...cannot wait ur witty reply..and u will reply with utter nonsence...can't help yourself...hurry up, bore us again...

In the course of our St Mirren related travels we meet all sorts of footballing people and pick up on various rumours surrounding St Mirren.

One such rumour which came our way that any money saved from last year’s managerial expenses/team running budget would be added to this year’s transfer budget

The main reason Kearney left was he had been  told he couldn’t utilise the savings he had made last season and the original transfer budget had been reduced too. The commuting was made into an issue to muddy the waters when OK and GLS fell out over the transfer budget.

That came from a couple of sources, but I don’t think they were big fans of GLS.

IF, and I say IF, there is any truth in this speculation. It may be the case we will struggle to attract any decent players during the window.

As an aside, I also heard that if JG hadn’t accepted the Job Eddie Wolecki Black was to be our next target.

The things you hear when you’re on the beer.

Edited by East Lothian Saint

24 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

In the course of our St Mirren related travels we meet all sorts of footballing people and pick up on various rumours surrounding St Mirren.

One such rumour which came our way that any money saved from last year’s managerial expenses/team running budget would be added to this year’s transfer budget

The main reason Kearney left was he had been  told he couldn’t utilise the savings he had made last season and the original transfer budget had been reduced too. The commuting was made into an issue to muddy the waters when OK and GLS fell out over the transfer budget.

That came from a couple of sources, but I don’t think they were big fans of GLS.

IF, and I say IF, there is any truth in this speculation. It may be the case we will struggle to attract any decent players during the window.

As an aside, I also heard that if JG hadn’t accepted the Job Eddie Wolecki Black was to be our next target.

If, and I do say if, there is any truth in the content of this post, I do fear for our Club this year.

We have played 4 competitive matches, all against lower or non-league opposition and the results speak for themselves. 1 lost (2-3), 2 drawn (0-0) and 1 win (1-0). I will quite accept that we have only conceded 3 goals, but on the other hand we've only scored three. Good God, Morton even went on their travels and scored 5 against lower league opposition.

The team we are fielding at the present moment will not survive in this year's Premier League and importing more 2nd grade, cheap, so-called footballers to make up the numbers will not cover over the cracks.

Even with our turmoil, I fear the worst, if indeed the above rumour has any basis of truth!

37 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

ELS, the section of your post that I have highlighted in bold would make me question the accuracy of the rumours...…..what savings, from the existing budget, could we have made that would have been added to this year's budget. When you look at what was spent initially with Stubbs (Heaton transfer etc) then bringing in Jackson, Ferdinand and Hamill followed by the arrivals in January I struggle to see where any savings could have been accrued!!

17 hours ago, WeeBud said:

Baz, I think this is why I don't really engage with you that much although I do read a lot of what you think with interest, I am not looking to prove you wrong or blame anyone for anything, I am merely expressing my opinion or view.....you then think it's  your place to decide when I see and what I see as "common denominators", that's not up to you.

Whether the 2016 pre-season car crash was down to GLS or not (I don't think it was incidentally) he was in charge of the club and it should form part of his learning experience. Three summers on (this being the fourth under his stewardship) and we are not ready, with pre-season just about complete, to go in to the season ahead.

As I said earlier I hope that both GLS and the club go on to be successful this and every other season but I can see why it's alright for people to question what is going on at the club and who is leading it.

This is a discussion forum, points of clarity are a part of it. I don't see much in the way of common denominators & that post is a high level summary of my take on GLS Stewardship to date. You're welcome to challenge it or add where you are seeing a repeat of the same issues, you're also free not to. 

Again as I have said all along, the only notable mistake I can see from GLS (not the only one but the only notable one) is appointing Stubbs & there was fall-out. To be critical of him as repeating mistakes because a previous chairman appointed a different manager that turned out to be a dud is unfair IMO. I also feel to continually refer back to an error in managerial appointment is also unfair.

GLS has done as I would expect though when recruiting, he has always backed the managers & people assuming the same won't go for Goodwin before our summer business is complete is premature. I have pointed out why I don't see similarities this season to previous, you may see them, you may think it's okay to couple GLS & Gilmour seasons together, absolutely fine but the overarching fact is GLS has had three full seasons to judge.

One a promotion,

One survival in the top league of Scottish football,

One very poor (after inheriting Alex Rae as his No1) that ultimately led to the building of a team that got us promoted & our most successful manager since Lennon. T

hat's it, people judging this season need to remember it's July. No excuse for the league cup campaign but again, this squad should be beating players three or four tiers below them, that is where the blame must sit.