Why has the Director of Football failed?

According to our captain, wanting to be able to field a starting eleven, and bench of players able to compete in this league is tantamount to inducing "Panic Signings"....

well... no one could accuse the club of that, no sir..! They wont be able to call us "Panicky Pants"! You see.... the whole Gus blazer job works a treat.

Guest TPAFKATS
According to our captain, wanting to be able to field a starting eleven, and bench of players able to compete in this league is tantamount to inducing "Panic Signings"....
well... no one could accuse the club of that, no sir..! They wont be able to call us "Panicky Pants"! You see.... the whole Gus blazer job works a treat.
Was it Gordon or Gus who pissed in your chips?

12 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Was it Gordon or Gus who pissed in your chips?

They are doing a geat job, wouldnt you say? f**k being prepared to field at least eleven professional footballers to be competitive.... lets just let it ride baby....

54 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

They are doing a geat job, wouldnt you say? f**k being prepared to field at least eleven professional footballers to be competitive.... lets just let it ride baby....

Yep, one full window to judge Gus job - January a success. 

GLS - took over a struggling Championship squad, recorded profit every year since his appointment, second year SP football incoming, BTB miles ahead of schedule. 

Many other ways in which he has been a success since coming in as well, undeniable. 

Got to feel sorry for the very small minority of fans that are only happy when things are going bad for the club.

Still they have the league cup campaign to moan about. amazingly some still try to blame GLS & Gus for our professional footballers failing to beat L2 & Lowland league opposition. :huh:

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Please tell me your about to do a St.Ricky.................Should we be so lucky. :P     

3 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Yep, one full window to judge Gus job - January a success. 

GLS - took over a struggling Championship squad, recorded profit every year since his appointment, second year SP football incoming, BTB miles ahead of schedule. 

Many other ways in which he has been a success since coming in as well, undeniable. 

Got to feel sorry for the very small minority of fans that are only happy when things are going bad for the club.

Still they have the league cup campaign to moan about. amazingly some still try to blame GLS & Gus for our professional footballers failing to beat L2 & Lowland league opposition. :huh:

I find that POV (and I accept you're not the only one to express it) pretty arrogant - besides which by the time of the EK game Mackenzie was missing and S. McGinn also for the Albion game. - we were underprepared for the LC campaign and are behind schedule for the league campaign too.

10 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I find that POV (and I accept you're not the only one to express it) pretty arrogant - besides which by the time of the EK game Mackenzie was missing and S. McGinn also for the Albion game. - we were underprepared for the LC campaign and are behind schedule for the league campaign too.

Ffs, btb... Its not the guys making the decisions fault! Its the people who are waiting for them to make a decision who are the f**kers. Lol.... so now the chairman and technical director of a football club are not responsible for ots poor performance?

following that logic then they had f**k all to do with avoiding relegation, or getting promoted! I'll take that lol.

Guest TPAFKATS
Ffs, btb... Its not the guys making the decisions fault! Its the people who are waiting for them to make a decision who are the f**kers. Lol.... so now the chairman and technical director of a football club are not responsible for ots poor performance?
following that logic then they had f**k all to do with avoiding relegation, or getting promoted! I'll take that lol.
So by your definition the chairman was responsible for 2 great escapes and a title.

Yet you constantly moan about him.
This is why I asked if he pissed on your chips. It's getting quite obsessive, what's the real reason you hate GLS?

53 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

One or two players missing from a team of players that'll likely feature in the SP next season isn't an excuse for failing to beat players that aren't one or two but three & four leagues behind us in the structure IMO. I'd also say given we didn't concede a goal Mac's absence isn't overlay relative. Our midfield & striker positions were occupied by players in their natural position (mostly) signed to do a job for next season in the SP yet couldn't score a goal from open play over those three games. 

I could completely understand if we had a group with high end championship or other SP quality in it but it is categorically not Gus & GLS fault that those players couldn't get by L2/ Lowland league opposition. I can see where your arrogance point comes from, don't get me wrong but I would say a level of expectation should be afforded to beating teams at much lower levels. 

44 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

If you're talking about accountability at the level a CEO/ Chairman for example has over his company fine, we know that's a thing. If you're talking about who's to blame for not beating fecking Albion Rovers & East Kilbride players it's the professional footballers on the park & the coaching staff that have prepared them. 

If we think of the conversation that potentially could have happened when Goodwin joined. "Do we have enough to beat the low level teams in our group allowing us to take some time in recruitment or do we need to panic buy poorer quality players because better ones aren't available?" It invites two points:

If you were GLS or Gus & Goodwin's answer to this was 'the current team is good enough to beat L2/ Lowland league sides' would you believe him?

If you were Goodwin, would you have thought the squad you inherited was good enough to beat said teams?

For me it's yes & yes. What's the chances though that someone anti GLS/ Gus will jump on this situation as a way to talk down GLS/ Gus and not give any accountability to professional footballers. ... 

11 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

So by your definition the chairman was responsible for 2 great escapes and a title.

Yet you constantly moan about him.
This is why I asked if he pissed on your chips. It's getting quite obsessive, what's the real reason you hate GLS?

This ^^^ 

LPM hypocrite to the end. Absolutely anything he can say negative about GLS he's like a dog with a bone, doesn't apply the same logic to the clubs undoubted recent success. 

It's going to be a depressing day in the LPM household when this BTB deal completes and Gordon Scott goes down as the man that delivers St Mirren Football Club to the people that care about it the most, the fans. 😁

2 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

If you're talking about accountability at the level a CEO/ Chairman for example has over his company fine, we know that's a thing. If you're talking about who's to blame for not beating fecking Albion Rovers & East Kilbride players it's the professional footballers on the park & the coaching staff that have prepared them. 

If we think of the conversation that potentially could have happened when Goodwin joined. "Do we have enough to beat the low level teams in our group allowing us to take some time in recruitment or do we need to panic buy poorer quality players because better ones aren't available?" It invites two points:

If you were GLS or Gus & Goodwin's answer to this was 'the current team is good enough to beat L2/ Lowland league sides' would you believe him?

If you were Goodwin, would you have thought the squad you inherited was good enough to beat said teams?

For me it's yes & yes. What's the chances though that someone anti GLS/ Gus will jump on this situation as a way to talk down GLS/ Gus and not give any accountability to professional footballers. ... 

Yes we should be beating EK but the issue is we are now 3 days away from the first game and don’t have a team or squad ready for it. 

One or two players missing from a team of players that'll likely feature in the SP next season isn't an excuse for failing to beat players that aren't one or two but three & four leagues behind us in the structure IMO. I'd also say given we didn't concede a goal Mac's absence isn't overlay relative. Our midfield & striker positions were occupied by players in their natural position (mostly) signed to do a job for next season in the SP yet couldn't score a goal from open play over those three games. 

I could completely understand if we had a group with high end championship or other SP quality in it but it is categorically not Gus & GLS fault that those players couldn't get by L2/ Lowland league opposition. I can see where your arrogance point comes from, don't get me wrong but I would say a level of expectation should be afforded to beating teams at much lower levels. 

@bazil85 I doubt whether the starting line-up for the EK & Albion Rovers games (which included at least one player still being phased into the team) will comprise 9 or 10 of the starting line-up for our League campaign once the transfer window is dome (I sincerely hope not) and the bench particularly in the latter game looked like it was there to cover injuries only.

Edited by Bud the Baker

21 minutes ago, Big Yards said:

Yes we should be beating EK but the issue is we are now 3 days away from the first game and don’t have a team or squad ready for it. 

That's a separate issue to the one I'm discussing but yeah, not ideal at all. Hopefully see some more players in this week & if those players are an improvement on last season (not hard) then this might all be put behind us before long. 

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

@bazil85 I doubt whether the starting line-up for the EK & Albion Rovers games will comprise 9 or 10 of the starting line-up for our League campaign once the transfer window is dome (I sincerely hope not) and the bench particularly in the latter game looked like it was there to cover injuries only.

I hope not as well, I mean more from a squad perspective. The reality is our squad players should still be much higher level than anything we have faced in the last three games. I can see all players (bar maybe the young lads) playing a part in our SP team this season. 

Totally true.

However, the players that we did have at our disposal should have been more than good enough to qualify from that League Cup group.

And if being unprepared at this stage is the price that needs to be paid to get in a good standard of player, I’d rather that than filling the squad with shite at an earlier stage, as per last season. [emoji12]

I doubt whether the starting line-up for the EK & Albion Rovers games (which included at least one player still being phased into the team) will comprise 9 or 10 of the starting line-up for our League campaign once the transfer window is dome (I sincerely hope not) and the bench particularly in the latter game looked like it was there to cover injuries only.

Most of them were regulars last season and supplemented with Andreu.

Whether or not they will be the first choice XI is irrelevant. They should have been good enough to beat these teams!

22 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Whether or not they will be the first choice XI is irrelevant. They should have been good enough to beat these teams!

If they had beaten those teams, would you have be happy going into the season with our team. :unsure:     Obviously not.

At least now JG knows what he has available to him and get it sorted, even if it has to take him until the end of the window.

Edited by pod