Why has the Director of Football failed?

35 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Tick-Tock - even more awkward!

It's not a binary choice sign poor players early or good players later on in the window - we could've signed some good players early in the window if the DoF had been doing the job our Chairman promised last autumn.

Very good interview from GLS before the match today. Players were available earlier in the window that we could have signed & they may have done a job this season but better players have better options & sometimes that takes time. 

They're looking (and achieving i’d Say) to sign more players for longer term gain than just one year contracts & short-term loans & that can be more time consuming at our level. That’s why it’s taken a good bit longer, to provide more assurance. 

Bottom-line is people have prejudged this window & made absolutely ridiculous claims that recruitment is the reason we couldn’t beat L2 & Lowland league opponents in the league cup. It’s looking more & more likely that yet again GLS is playing an absolute blinder & Gus is earning his wage packet. :thumbs2

On 8/1/2019 at 3:37 PM, bazil85 said:

I’m not an ‘MI guy’ i rely on MI but I work in risk Assurance. I promise you my company get their worth out of me, reliance on other business areas means it’s not unusual for me to be working 10 hour days then signing back in when I get home. 

Oh come on. Nobody boasts about how many hours they waste working for other people in 2019. 🤣

5 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

Are you allowed to boast about the amount of unofficial t-breaks in one shift. emoji848.png

Mines 5, with two official and a lunch break in a 8 hour shift. emoji16.png

Sorry it's off topic but I'm bored and currently on another break. emoji23.png

I have one big t-shift with some small work breaks in between. :wink:

Tick-Tock - even more awkward! It's not a binary choice sign poor players early or good players later on in the window - we could've signed some good players early in the window if the DoF had been doing the job our Chairman promised last autumn.

How do you know we could have signed good players early in the window? Would these players have been as good as the players we signed? Was the job that the Chairman promised the DoF would do was to sign the best players possible before the start of the League Cup campaign?

It’s not a binary choice, sign all new players before the start of the League Cup campaign and sign none later in the window!

We signed 3 players before the start of the League Cup. We lost 3 players from the sides that beat Dundee United (including Kyle McAllister, who has subsequently rejoined).

The players that we had should have been good enough to qualify from that League Cup campaign. Rushing in signings to help us qualify from that group shouldn’t have been an issue!

4 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

How do you know we could have signed good players early in the window? Would these players have been as good as the players we signed? Was the job that the Chairman promised the DoF would do was to sign the best players possible before the start of the League Cup campaign?

It’s not a binary choice, sign all new players before the start of the League Cup campaign and sign none later in the window!

We signed 3 players before the start of the League Cup. We lost 3 players from the sides that beat Dundee United (including Kyle McAllister, who has subsequently rejoined).

The players that we had should have been good enough to qualify from that League Cup campaign. Rushing in signings to help us qualify from that group shouldn’t have been an issue!

There's always uncertainties about the quality of players a club like Saints can sign ultimately it comes down to the amount of money the BoD (effectively GLS atm) - if you look back at 2016/17 (Great Escape Mk. 1) you'll see the wage bill was significantly higher than the previous season (which also included a management pay-off) and I suspect this years report (2018/19) will be interesting although with the club being in a different division a like-for-like comparison with the previous season isn't relevant,

We should have had two lists ready for the DoF/Manager to work on after the play-offs in May and we should have already made preliminary  enquiries beforehand. I still think we didn't have enough quality players, bedded into the team to assume we should have qualified for the knockout stages of the LC and that arguing otherwise is the same sort of arrogance some Aberdeen fans showed yesterday in the aftermath of our game - that even using squad players to freshen up a team who had played midweek and were missing their main striker should still have been good enough to beat us.

As @kevo_smfc says deals often take awhile to complete these days, all the more reason for the DoF to get started early, as I said above it comes down to the money that GLS is prepared to sanction and had the 2 year deals (3 for McAllister) we've seen since JG arrived were being offered earlier on in the window I'm sure we could've completed deals in time for the LC.

I listened to the same BBC report @bazil85 did and interpreted it as GLS trying to bluff us that it had been the plan all along. :rolleyes: It's clear that the DoF role as described by GLS last autumn didn't worked this summer.

A bit of commonsense is required here to think this through.

Firstly, I am not buying into any nonsense that we needed new players to have qualified from the group stage of the Cup.

Secondly, do we agree that the best players in our budget range will have options which mean they will take much longer to recruit. If we accept that, we have to accept that we hire these guys in later than we'd like. That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

The Cup was a f**kup. No doubt.

We could however quite easily have been sitting on 4 pts today had we held out vs Hibs. There should be no doom and gloom on this forum right now.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Firstly, I am not buying into any nonsense that we needed new players to have qualified from the group stage of the Cup.

Secondly, do we agree that the best players in our budget range will have options which mean they will take much longer to recruit. If we accept that, we have to accept that we hire these guys in later than we'd like. That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

We could however quite easily have been sitting on 4 pts today had we held out vs Hibs. There should be no doom and gloom on this forum right now.

Good post.

but... 6 points today?

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

As we could have been sitting on 1 point had Aberdeen equalised. :lol:

Things are what they are, not what people change them into. 

You do know Steven Gerrard said Rangers would have won the league had games only lasted 86 minutes, how stupid does that sound? :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

? Lost me there antrim.

You’re right.  Sorry.

My eternal, unbounded optimism about St Mirren had already translated the Hibs last minute goal into an equaliser, which... er.... it wasn’t.  :(

Also...

You still can’t spell, I see...

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

As we could have been sitting on 1 point had Aberdeen equalised. :lol:

Things are what they are, not what people change them into. 

You do know Steven Gerrard said Rangers would have won the league had games only lasted 86 minutes, how stupid does that sound? :rolleyes:

My day is not complete until some nugget mansplains things like this to me. 🤣

Are you Ricky in disguise?

1 minute ago, antrin said:

You’re right.  Sorry.

My eternal, unbounded optimism about St Mirren had already translated the Hibs last minute goal into an equaliser, which... er.... it wasn’t.  :(

Also...

You still can’t spell, I see...

Are you sure I can't or is it that I won't? :lol:

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Oh come on. Nobody boasts about how many hours they waste working for other people in 2019. 🤣

7 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

Are you allowed to boast about the amount of unofficial t-breaks in one shift. emoji848.png

Mines 5, with two official and a lunch break in a 8 hour shift. emoji16.png

Sorry it's off topic but I'm bored and currently on another break. emoji23.png

What’s a tea break? :lol:

52 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

There's always uncertainties about the quality of players a club like Saints can sign ultimately it comes down to the amount of money the BoD (effectively GLS atm) - if you look back at 2016/17 (Great Escape Mk. 1) you'll see the wage bill was significantly higher than the previous season (which also included a management pay-off) and I suspect this years report (2018/19) will be interesting although with the club being in a different division a like-for-like comparison with the previous season isn't relevant,

We should have had two lists ready for the DoF/Manager to work on after the play-offs in May and we should have already made preliminary  enquiries beforehand. I still think we didn't have enough quality players, bedded into the team to assume we should have qualified for the knockout stages of the LC and that arguing otherwise is the same sort of arrogance some Aberdeen fans showed yesterday in the aftermath of our game - that even using squad players to freshen up a team who had played midweek and were missing their main striker should still have been good enough to beat us.

As @kevo_smfc says deals often take awhile to complete these days, all the more reason for the DoF to get started early, as I said above it comes down to the money that GLS is prepared to sanction and had the 2 year deals (3 for McAllister) we've seen since JG arrived were being offered earlier on in the window I'm sure we could've completed deals in time for the LC.

I listened to the same BBC report @bazil85 did and interpreted it as GLS trying to bluff us that it had been the plan all along. :rolleyes: It's clear that the DoF role as described by GLS last autumn didn't worked this summer.

He’s tried to ‘bluff’ that we appear to have a very strong squad, most of which on two or three year contracts? 

Whats your basis specifically for the DoF role not working this summer? Gus job is not only the identifying or players personally but the review of players the management team identify to determine if fit for purpose. Seems like it’s worked a blinder for the second window in a row to me

Edited by bazil85