Why has the Director of Football failed?

31 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we are all VERY impressed at you sacrificing tea breaks, toilet breaks and both family and social lives in the pursuit of excellence in Risk Management. :D

Tough at the top... well so some of my stakeholders lead me to believe :blink:

Guest TPAFKATS

How do you know Kearney never looked to replace Nicholl, you're just making that up - nobody who posts on BAWA can know this for sure unless Scoop1987 has made a dramatic return....
As for the rest it's old ground that I've already answered. breaks in a 12 hour shift!
BTW - I get 6 12  breaks in a 12 hour shift!

I was told he never and I don't have reason to doubt it.
However, putting that aside he also never once intimated in any interview I read that he was actively pursuing a replacement.
But yeah, no one knows for sure same as no one on here knows what gus was doing [emoji6]

So you seem to not be able to understand my simple point, I’ll try again. I am not really forming an opinion on whether this window has or hasn’t been a success because it’s 12th August, it would be ridiculous, less so m than mid-July but ridiculous none the less. 
What I am saying is we have positive signs the window may be a success (arguably more than we have that it’s not been a success). The GLS interview seems to justify the approach & the signings certainly line up with what he has said. 
You are saying it’s been a failure from what I can tell, see above regarding how ridiculous coming to that conclusion is. We could finish top half this season, top 4, we could in theory win the league (not saying we will before you jump on that) and you already have the summer business down as a failure because we took longer to sign players. You have zero proof that would have been quicker & equal/ higher quality of OK hadn’t left  
You’ve already beaten yourself on the DOF point by sharing an article that clearly said it wasn’t defined. You don’t really have any comeback on that at all IMO. Gus was a constant presence this summer so I don’t get your point. 
Let me ask you a question though, do you think that interview categorically (word of the day) stated there would be absolutely zero interruption in the event of a managerial change regardless of time or circumstances? Very idealistic, not realistic & not anything I took from an article that clearly said we still need to define a role. 
As for the rest, hardly worth responding, you’ve shown a need to be negative on dozens of points on here usually surrounding GLS & our BoD. Aberdeen & St Mirren are in the same league so the comparison is miles off. Arrogant fans is different from a belief that we should have enough to achieve a goal. Do you genuinely not think our squad at that time was good enough to beat EK & if so who started that’s a lower standard than lowland league? 
Jim Goodwin said in interview that had we got the new players in earlier, it would have improved our chances in the Betfred Cup.

Was he wrong?

9 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Jim Goodwin said in interview that had we got the new players in earlier, it would have improved our chances in the Betfred Cup.

Was he wrong?

Nope, I never said it wouldn’t improve our chances, I said we had players that should have beaten L2 & Lowland league teams. If you disagree what players in the team are lower than lowland league standard? 

Nope, I never said it wouldn’t improve our chances, I said we had players that should have beaten L2 & Lowland league teams. If you disagree what players in the team are lower than lowland league standard? 
But you now agree with our manager that had we got players in earlier it would have improved our chances! His own thoughts.

BTB letting his chronic hatred of Gus cloud his judgment. Not for the first, or the last time.

We’ve already built a strong squad and there’s still 3 weeks of the window left with at least one more coming in.

Great job from those behind the scenes [emoji1433]

2 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

But you now agree with our manager that had we got players in earlier it would have improved our chances! His own thoughts.

They aren’t contradicting points. We didn’t win those matches when we should have with the players at our disposal. We knew the squad was going to get improved so therefore If we had different players the result may have been different, that doesn’t change point one. 

Still waiting for someone to name the players in our team that were lower than lowland league level? 

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

BTB letting his chronic hatred of Gus cloud his judgment. Not for the first, or the last time.

We’ve already built a strong squad and there’s still 3 weeks of the window left with at least one more coming in.

Great job from those behind the scenes emoji1433.png

It amazes me how a small number of our fans set themselves up for negativity. 

- they turn out to be right about Gus, we have to watch the team suffer 

- they turn out to be wrong about Gus (looking as if it’s the likely outcome) they get ridiculed on here for judging a summer transfer window in mid-July :lol:

They aren’t contradicting points. We didn’t win those matches when we should have with the players at our disposal. We knew the squad was going to get improved so therefore If we had different players the result may have been different, that doesn’t change point one. 
Still waiting for someone to name the players in our team that were lower than lowland league level? 
It's not about individual players... We win, lose or draw as a team.

Keep in mind that EK ran Celtic very close in the cup not do long ago.

So our manager thinks we would have had a better chance in the Cup had our new recruits arrived earlier but you're happy to dismiss him?

8 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

So our manager thinks we would have had a better chance in the Cup had our new recruits arrived earlier but you're happy to dismiss him?

We should have beaten EK with the players at our disposal or do you disagree they weren’t good enough to beat a team four division below us? 

You can try spin it all you want, I’ve already clearly shown you it’s not an either or situation, Goodwin has never said those players weren’t good enough to beat lowland league teams. If you don’t understand my previous message, maybe get someone to explain it to you? A young child would probably do. 

9 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

He isn't dismissing him, it's not an either or position. Would we have done better in the league cup with Foley, Durmus, etc, yes probably. Should we have done better anyway with the players we had available at the time, yes, probably. 

15 hours ago, bazil85 said:

So you seem to not be able to understand my simple point, I’ll try again. I am not really forming an opinion on whether this window has or hasn’t been a success because it’s 12th August, it would be ridiculous, less so m than mid-July but ridiculous none the less. 

What I am saying is we have positive signs the window may be a success (arguably more than we have that it’s not been a success). The GLS interview seems to justify the approach & the signings certainly line up with what he has said. 

You are saying it’s been a failure from what I can tell, see above regarding how ridiculous coming to that conclusion is. We could finish top half this season, top 4, we could in theory win the league (not saying we will before you jump on that) and you already have the summer business down as a failure because we took longer to sign players. You have zero proof that would have been quicker & equal/ higher quality of OK hadn’t left  

You’ve already beaten yourself on the DOF point by sharing an article that clearly said it wasn’t defined. You don’t really have any comeback on that at all IMO. Gus was a constant presence this summer so I don’t get your point. 

Let me ask you a question though, do you think that interview categorically (word of the day) stated there would be absolutely zero interruption in the event of a managerial change regardless of time or circumstances? Very idealistic, not realistic & not anything I took from an article that clearly said we still need to define a role. 

As for the rest, hardly worth responding, you’ve shown a need to be negative on dozens of points on here usually surrounding GLS & our BoD. Aberdeen & St Mirren are in the same league so the comparison is miles off. Arrogant fans is different from a belief that we should have enough to achieve a goal. Do you genuinely not think our squad at that time was good enough to beat EK & if so who started that’s a lower standard than lowland league? 

I haven't been negative, I've been different from you - If you choose not to see the  difference that's your problem.

As I shown many times GMs role was to provide continuity which he didn't do this summer so he's been a failure, it doesn't necessarily have to define the season.

All the rest of your post is irrelevant ,just smoke and mirrors.

13 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I haven't been negative, I've been different from you - If you choose not to see the  difference that's your problem.

As I shown many times GMs role was to provide continuity which he didn't do this summer so he's been a failure, it doesn't necessarily have to define the season.

All the rest of your post is irrelevant ,just smoke and mirrors.

So when you hear continuity, you mean there has to be absolutely zero interruption whatsoever when a manager change happens regardless of when it happens? That’s not what GLS said in the interview you posted so your basis for that isn’t right. Therefore you have an incorrect & negative basis for saying it’s been a failure 

You also have no proof we could have gotten better/ equal players in earlier so again a negative assertion on the failure point. . 

Are you also saying no matter where we finish this season it’s been a failure? 

Fortunately a majority of people can see this is looking increasingly like a successful summer for recruitment. Should at pan out, Well done Gus, Tony, Goody, Lee, GLS & all else involved. :clapping

31 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

So when you hear continuity, you mean there has to be absolutely zero interruption whatsoever when a manager change happens regardless of when it happens? That’s not what GLS said in the interview you posted so your basis for that isn’t right. Therefore you have an incorrect & negative basis for saying it’s been a failure 

You also have no proof we could have gotten better/ equal players in earlier so again a negative assertion on the failure point. . 

Are you also saying no matter where we finish this season it’s been a failure? 

Fortunately a majority of people can see this is looking increasingly like a successful summer for recruitment. Should at pan out, Well done Gus, Tony, Goody, Lee, GLS & all else involved. :clapping

No I'm saying for the final time that the role of DoF as described by our Chairman last autumn didn't occur this summer and referring to this is not negative, it's correct - categorically!

40 pages of trying to obscure the matter fools no-one but feel free to continue with your attritioall posting.

My opinion is that there has been some degree of continuity. Some of the players that we've signed will have been identified as potential signings pre- Goodwin, with input from Gus. Given that Gus has only been in place for a fairly tumultuous 9 months, I think it's unrealistic to expect his role to have been developed to its optimum level. The jury is out for me, particularly as we have no idea what exactly he has been contributing to the running of the club, behind the scenes.

Yet over on P&B you posted that the recruitment has been such a great success compared with last season where it took until Feb for you to be happy with the squad! [emoji1]

[mention=8643]bazil85[/mention]
Here...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45564078
Everything stalled during the Kearney saga and our "constant presence" was effectively left twiddling his thumbs, I'm as anyone glad JGs team seems to be gelling quickly but to suggest it's all part of the masterplan is ridiculous.

Where does it say in this article that Gus’ role was to have a full squad ready for the start of the League Cup?

I had a feeling that you’d made it up and it’s good that you’ve posted the evidence that proves it! [emoji12]

13 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Where does it say in this article that Gus’ role was to have a full squad ready for the start of the League Cup?

I had a feeling that you’d made it up and it’s good that you’ve posted the evidence that proves it! emoji12.png

It says he's there to provide a "continuous presence" which means that signings will not stall if a managerial change occurs.

Even Baz admits signings stalled :toilet - you have just won the "Nuttiest Guy on BAWA" Crown, and that takes a superlative level of crassness - I salute you! :clapping:notworthy

Edited by Bud the Baker

25 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Yet over on P&B you posted that the recruitment has been such a great success compared with last season where it took until Feb for you to be happy with the squademoji1.png

This thread is about the success or otherwise of the DoF role this summer and that's not quite what I said - is it?

Ah, Cap'n, always grabbing the wrong end of the stick.
To me it looks more like our new manager changing policy, signing better players on longer contracts,

I said the signing were due to a change of policy instigated by the new manager - not the DoF.

Credit where credi's due! :byebye

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

No I'm saying for the final time that the role of DoF as described by our Chairman last autumn didn't occur this summer and referring to this is not negative, it's correct - categorically!

40 pages of trying to obscure the matter fools no-one but feel free to continue with your attritioall posting.

But you accept he said the role wasn't 'defined' right? So for the 'final time', how could a role that hadn't be defined have failed according to that interview? It makes zero sense. 

Guest TPAFKATS
I said the signing were due to a change of policy instigated by the new manager - not the DoF.
Credit where credi's due! :byebye
As a wee aside, the change in signing policy was instigated by the club who acknowledged prior to Jim Goodwin being appointed that we needed to have less loan signings and more stability in the playing squad.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

It says he's there to provide a "continuous presence" which means that signings will not stall if a managerial change occurs.

Even Baz admits signings stalled :toilet - you have just won the "Nuttiest Guy on BAWA" Crown, and that takes a superlative level of crassness - I salute you! :clapping:notworthy

I think it only means that in your head.

43 minutes ago, Kombibuddie said:

I've seen folk mention an interview GLS done at the weekend.
Anyone got a link to it please. I haven't seen/read it and not seen any links to it.
Cheers

He spoke to Chick on Radio Scotland before the game on Sunday. It might be on the Sportsound podcast ?

Edited by Smithers Jones