Why has the Director of Football failed?

34 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

As a wee aside, the change in signing policy was instigated by the club who acknowledged prior to Jim Goodwin being appointed that we needed to have less loan signings and more stability in the playing squad.

After yesterday's unsubstantiated claim I feel I'm within my rights to ask for some written evidence of this.

42 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Nope it's there in black & white.

"we have a plan but not the manpower to define and execute it." 

This is also in black and white, his job wasn't defined yet so as such saying it has failed based on that interview is wrong. If you started a new job and were told your job role would be defined at a later time, then someone came up to you at a later date and said you had failed, would you think it was fair?

24 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

"we have a plan but not the manpower to define and execute it." 

This is also in black and white, his job wasn't defined yet so as such saying it has failed based on that interview is wrong. If you started a new job and were told your job role would be defined at a later time, then someone came up to you at a later date and said you had failed, would you think it was fair?

Here's the quote in full

"We want to have someone within the football department who will be a constant presence," he told his club website.

"The board have a vision of how they want the club to develop. At present, we have a plan but not the manpower to define and execute it.

"Gus is someone I worked with closely when I was on the board previously and he has the experience and knowledge we are looking for in the newly created role."

In GLSs words 

Chairman Gordon Scott said the new structure was introduced because "we have learned lessons" in recent months.

Yup they didn't have the manpower to provide continuity when a manager left so they hired MacPherson in order to do so & when the next manager left he was unable to provide that continuity even you admit the signing process stalled - he failed.

Edited by Bud the Baker

11 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Here's the quote in full

Yup they didn't have the manpower to provide continuity when a manager left so they hired MacPherson in order to do so & when the next manager left he was unable to provide that continuity - he failed.

Where does it say he'd be providing continuity if the manager left in that quote? It says constant presence which Gus was. Another clear mistake from you blinded by your need to be negative about all things SMFC. An idealistic view that Gus must stop absolutely any interruption whatsoever regardless of situation when it doesn't say anything like that in the quote. 

Over here in the real world it looks like a well done to Gus, Tony & the rest of the team involved in recruitment will soon be in order for a successful transfer window. Imagine being a St Mirren fan and hating that potential outcome lol. 

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

1. Where does it say he'd be providing continuity if the manager left in that quote? It says constant presence which Gus was. Another clear mistake from you blinded by your need to be negative about all things SMFC. An idealistic view that Gus must stop absolutely any interruption whatsoever regardless of situation when it doesn't say anything like that in the quote. 

2. Over here in the real world it looks like a well done to Gus, Tony & the rest of the team involved in recruitment will soon be in order for a successful transfer window. Imagine being a St Mirren fan and hating that potential outcome lol. 

1. What does constant presence mean if not providing continuity? Citing facts is not being negative.

2. In the real world you're more belligerent than you were this morning - liquid lunch? Again having a different opinion from you is not the same as hating the potential outcome of the window being successful now that a manager has been appointed.

No new arguments just the same old smears.

It says he's there to provide a "continuous presence" which means that signings will not stall if a managerial change occurs.

That’s your definition of what it means!

In any case, how do you know that we would have signed players earlier had there been no managerial change?

Where does it say that the remit was to have all signings in by the start of the League Cup campaign?

And how come you’re on P&B praising the success of the transfer window but on here you’re claiming it’s a failure? [emoji12]

19 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

1. What does constant presence mean if not providing continuity? Citing facts is not being negative.

He has been a constant presence, took training during OK issue, allowed for the recruitment process to continue, seemingly supported in the identification of players that have made our team stronger. Again you seem to be suggesting this interview is stating there would be absolutely zero repercussions in the event of a manager change at any time, it doesn’t. 

2. In the real world you're more belligerent than you were this morning - liquid lunch? Again having a different opinion from you is not the same as hating the potential outcome of the window being successful now that a manager has been appointed.

No new arguments just the same old smears.

Your opinion is he’s failed in a job because you’ve put a definition on what that job was, even though it was clearly stated it wasn’t defined. :huh: 

Guest TPAFKATS
After yesterday's unsubstantiated claim I feel I'm within my rights to ask for some written evidence of this.
Bud, the only one making unsubstantiated claims is you with regards to Gus.

Look back at what the club (OK? , GLS, TF) have said since May regarding loan signings and permanent.
Jim came in and said the same.

6 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Here's the quote in full

In GLSs words 

Yup they didn't have the manpower to provide continuity when a manager left so they hired MacPherson in order to do so & when the next manager left he was unable to provide that continuity even you admit the signing process stalled - he failed.

Thank you for confirming that it is not in black and white that “signings will not stall even if there is a managerial change” and that as I suggested that statement only existed in your head. 

Good man!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 3:58 PM, TPAFKATS said:

Bud, the only one making unsubstantiated claims is you with regards to Gus.

Look back at what the club (OK? , GLS, TF) have said since May regarding loan signings and permanent.
Jim came in and said the same.

Even if I'm the only one stupid enough to continue arguing it's pretty clear new manager, new policy and 5 weeks later a better quality of signing.

There was no masterplan, end of story as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

Even if I'm the only one stupid enough to continue arguing with it 's pretty clear new manager, new policy and 5 weeks later a better quality of signing.

For sure there was a list Oran wanted your right though new manager new list Goodwin has said he knows who he wants. 

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Even if I'm the only one stupid enough to continue arguing it's pretty clear new manager, new policy and 5 weeks later a better quality of signing.

Keep going, you’re so close to winning everyone to your side :rolleyes:

21 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

That post goes beyond pedantry and is just an outright lie..

Ha ha ha. You are taking such a hiding on this thread. Let me put it another way for the extremely thick. 

You said that (and I quote) it was in “black and white” that (and I quote again) “signings will not stall even if there is a managerial change”.

This, or anything even remotely like it, has ever been in “black and white” (other than of course in your deluded post - which was of course, the actual lie you are referring to).

After years of shite transfer windows, since Gus came in we've had two apparently excellent windows in the space of 9 months.

But seemingly this is black and white evidence that Gus is failing in his role.

Am I missing something?:D

Edited by oaksoft

After years of shite transfer windows, since Gus came in we've had two apparently excellent windows in the space of 9 months.
But seemingly this is black and white evidence that Gus is failing in his role.
Am I missing something?[emoji3]

Yeh, we should have been signing players before the new manager was appointed and should have had the entire squad in place before the start of the League Cup campaign.

It’s all their in black and white

Even though it isn’t! [emoji1]

16 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Yeh, we should have been signing players before the new manager was appointed and should have had the entire squad in place before the start of the League Cup campaign.

Even though it isn’t! emoji1.png

I personally am still annoyed Louis Longridge wasn't signed to give him loads of time to bed in ...

On 8/23/2019 at 1:37 PM, Wendy Saintss said:

Even though it isn’t! emoji1.png

... and now your spelling is slipping as well.

None of us really knows what has gone on behind the scenes, but so far in the two Windows that Gus has been in place I can 

only say that by the quality of player we have brought in then he has been a success. 

I await evidence of anything to the contrary 😬