Why has the Director of Football failed?

3 minutes ago, Desnold said:

So, things we know:

- GM has a list of players.

- JG has a list of players.

- GM has first say on players.

- JG has rejected some players.

Is it the case that GM is not going to entertain JG's list of players and similarly JG is not going to entertain GM's list of players?

Something's got to give and I don't imagine it will be GM.

And while GM & JG having a pissing contest, the team & fans suffer as a result!

Someone needs to be held to account, season after season it gets worse.

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

No, of course we're not but the question isn't the full picture is it?

Is there mitigating circumstances regarding our ability to sign players that will improve our squad to the required standards?

Not quite a straight answer Baz but close enough...…...I also agree there "may" be mitigating circumstances and as I said I'm not looking to blame anyone but to make sure we learn from past experiences. You'll know from your work background that it is important to look at common denominators when situations re-occur and that's why I think it's ok to ask questions of GLS as he is head of the club and also a common denominator over the period we have been discussing. I want him and the club to succeed this and every other season but the club need to get off this roundabout of pre-season chaos that we have been on, the one season when we didn't have chaos we were as successful as we could be and I don't think that it was coincidence!!

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I'm looking at Kick off next week and next to hee haw in. Stevie May knocked back the fakes.

Was there not concerns during his medical????

If that rumour is true - you can bet we will sign him …   I HOPE NOT IF THAT IS THE CASE...

7 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Not quite a straight answer Baz but close enough...…...I also agree there "may" be mitigating circumstances and as I said I'm not looking to blame anyone but to make sure we learn from past experiences. You'll know from your work background that it is important to look at common denominators when situations re-occur and that's why I think it's ok to ask questions of GLS as he is head of the club and also a common denominator over the period we have been discussing. I want him and the club to succeed this and every other season but the club need to get off this roundabout of pre-season chaos that we have been on, the one season when we didn't have chaos we were as successful as we could be and I don't think that it was coincidence!!

Often find when people say "yes or no" it's clear the answer is never going to be as clear as "yes or no" guilty of it myself in the past. 

Absolutely, it's very important to learn from past events to stop future events. It doesn't change the circumstances regarding what we've had to do the last few seasons. He made a mistake last season in Stubbs, we had to take action to sort that in short-term signings & a complete (costly) squad revamp. No doubt that would have a knock on but what was the alternative? Not back OK and see us likely dropping down the divisions? GLS made a few calls including bringing in Gus & OK, they all paid off. Because there is some fallout from that doesn't mean it wasn't the right call. 

Previous season, we were promoted, no common theme there to be concerned with. Season before that, he inherited the team along with Rae as manager. Made the right call in getting him out, backing Ross which ultimately got us promoted the following season. 

So from where I can see the only places you seem to be seeing a 'common denominator' is between last season and this one? We can compare if you want at this time of the season:

Stubbs squad almost complete with players that would turn out to be duds                    Goodwin at least 4-5 players (prob more) off completion based on interview

Shocking League cup campaign, still managed out group with said poor players.          Shocking again, didn't manage to get out, squad still far from complete 

Complete trust in Stubbs & Jacko over recruitment, probably contributed to speed.      New structure introduced (GM) to allow for more due diligence. probably                                                                                                                                                                               contributed to slower completion of squad. 

My summary anyway on comparability. 

10 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Often find when people say "yes or no" it's clear the answer is never going to be as clear as "yes or no" guilty of it myself in the past. 

Absolutely, it's very important to learn from past events to stop future events. It doesn't change the circumstances regarding what we've had to do the last few seasons. He made a mistake last season in Stubbs, we had to take action to sort that in short-term signings & a complete (costly) squad revamp. No doubt that would have a knock on but what was the alternative? Not back OK and see us likely dropping down the divisions? GLS made a few calls including bringing in Gus & OK, they all paid off. Because there is some fallout from that doesn't mean it wasn't the right call. 

Previous season, we were promoted, no common theme there to be concerned with. Season before that, he inherited the team along with Rae as manager. Made the right call in getting him out, backing Ross which ultimately got us promoted the following season. 

So from where I can see the only places you seem to be seeing a 'common denominator' is between last season and this one? We can compare if you want at this time of the season:

Stubbs squad almost complete with players that would turn out to be duds                    Goodwin at least 4-5 players (prob more) off completion based on interview

Shocking League cup campaign, still managed out group with said poor players.          Shocking again, didn't manage to get out, squad still far from complete 

Complete trust in Stubbs & Jacko over recruitment, probably contributed to speed.      New structure introduced (GM) to allow for more due diligence. probably                                                                                                                                                                               contributed to slower completion of squad. 

My summary anyway on comparability. 

Baz, I think this is why I don't really engage with you that much although I do read a lot of what you think with interest, I am not looking to prove you wrong or blame anyone for anything, I am merely expressing my opinion or view.....you then think it's  your place to decide when I see and what I see as "common denominators", that's not up to you.

Whether the 2016 pre-season car crash was down to GLS or not (I don't think it was incidentally) he was in charge of the club and it should form part of his learning experience. Three summers on (this being the fourth under his stewardship) and we are not ready, with pre-season just about complete, to go in to the season ahead.

As I said earlier I hope that both GLS and the club go on to be successful this and every other season but I can see why it's alright for people to question what is going on at the club and who is leading it.

3 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Baz, I think this is why I don't really engage with you that much although I do read a lot of what you think with interest, I am not looking to prove you wrong or blame anyone for anything, I am merely expressing my opinion or view.....you then think it's  your place to decide when I see and what I see as "common denominators", that's not up to you.

Whether the 2016 pre-season car crash was down to GLS or not (I don't think it was incidentally) he was in charge of the club and it should form part of his learning experience. Three summers on (this being the fourth under his stewardship) and we are not ready, with pre-season just about complete, to go in to the season ahead.

As I said earlier I hope that both GLS and the club go on to be successful this and every other season but I can see why it's alright for people to question what is going on at the club and who is leading it.

Wish BEK would get this.

Exactly, it seems with no concrete "proof" supporters are not correct to question ANYTHING to do with those that, ultimately, are responsible for what happens at the club. 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Wish BEK would get this.

Exactly, it seems with no concrete "proof" supporters are not correct to question ANYTHING to do with those that, ultimately, are responsible for what happens at the club. 

Poor BEK, he gets the blame for everything, even when he's not involved!!

4 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Poor BEK, he gets the blame for everything, even when he's not involved!!

He's become embroiled in a never ending "debate" with the talking wall that tends to cloud who is to blame, if blame is the right word. 

He can be saved.

#prayforBEK

Edited by faraway saint

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

He's become embroiled in a never ending "debate" with the talking wall that tends to cloud who is to blame, if blame is the right word. 

He can be saved.

#prayforBEK

This post is best described as utter tosh. Yet another off the conveyor belt to nowhere that serves as F Man's mind. 

Just now, St.Ricky said:

This post is best described as utter tosh. Yet another off the conveyor belt to nowhere that serves as F Man's mind. 

Says the sectarian sympathiser from Stirling. 

1 hour ago, Desnold said:

So, things we know:

Is it the case that GM is not going to entertain JG's list of players and similarly JG is not going to entertain GM's list of players?

You missed out players have rejected us. From tomorrow there is 8 days till the Hibs game and we are down to the bare bones. Tragic pre-season yet again. 

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

You missed out players have rejected us. From tomorrow there is 8 days till the Hibs game and we are down to the bare bones. Tragic pre-season yet again. 

It could have been so much bettee, that's for sure. But, we are where we are. As long as JG has the last word on players, then all right. We are behind the curve but we are not the only ones. 

1 hour ago, Desnold said:

So, things we know:

No idea.

There are always problems when you allow job descriptions to overlap.

The fault lies with whoever allowed both GM and JG to decide which players to look at. That should be the job of a single person with input from the other as a courtesy. JG should be telling GM which positions and systems the players are needed for. GM should be finding and bringing in the players himself. The only other way I can see this working is if GM and JG provide a list and ONE of them makes a composite list. If you allow both to have their way you'll always end in trouble.

Edited by oaksoft

16 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No idea.

There are always problems when you allow job descriptions to overlap.

The fault lies with whoever allowed both GM and JG to decide which players to look at. That should be the job of a single person with input from the other as a courtesy. JG should be telling GM which positions and systems the players are needed for. GM should be finding and bringing in the players himself. The only other way I can see this working is if GM and JG provide a list and ONE of them makes a composite list. If you allow both to have their way you'll always end in trouble.

My earlier point in a nutshell. 

7 hours ago, jaybee said:

ffs x 4 your pram can't be much better then, I mean all your toys on the floor tch tch

2 hours ago, jaybee said:

Only one answer to that my faraway friend  it's *** X 4.  😎

So upset you can't even count your attempts to throw out your hilarious insults.......................oh, here's a cracker......................NOT. :lol:

Run along, WAY out of your depth, stick with PRicky, more your IQ level. :byebye

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

So upset you can't even count your attempts to throw out your hilarious insults.......................oh, here's a cracker......................NOT. :lol:

Run along, WAY out of your depth, stick with PRicky, more your IQ level. :byebye

LOL. 

What do you know about IQ. 

More like... 

Idiot Quotient in your case.