Why has the Director of Football failed?

2 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Ricky 

Definition

adjective
  1. 1.
    (of a man) good-looking.
    synonyms: good-looking, nice-looking, attractive, personable, striking, stunning, fine, well proportioned, well formed;

Faraway and Shull

NOT

St.Ricky 

Definition

adjective
  1. 1.
    (of a clown) repetitive and starts threads for no reason
    synonyms: funny-lookingdistractingboringstrike me deadstun me with a gunfine him or ban himlikes big portionswell uninformed;

apologies in advance.

4 minutes ago, truesaint said:

St.Ricky 

Definition

adjective
  1. 1.
    synonyms: funny-lookingdistractingboringstrike me deadstun me with a gunfine him or ban himlikes big portionswell uninformed;

apologies in advance.

You're too easy on him.

43 minutes ago, truesaint said:

St.Ricky 

Definition

adjective
  1. 1.

apologies in advance.

Sometimes there's a post that I wish I had made.................................:happyclapper

The forum fool has even adopted the classic unfunny...........................NOT. :lol:

PPS He only thinks TWO people think he's a clown. 🤡

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

The thread title doesn't mention Gus MacPherson, the original post is asking if the position of "DoF" / "Chief Moneyball Officer" is a realistic one for a club of our size. Has GM been properly supported? Were budgets not properly worked out at the start of the summer? 

There could be numerous reasons why this window has been a disaster, but I have never seen a job title created with such fanfare and self congratulatory backslapping only for it so publicly miss all of its targets!

I was never a great fan of Gus style football when he was in charge, yes he kept us in the division just; but bejesses it was bloody boring stuff (in the main) However in defense of common sense,  as well as Gus and irrespective of however many targets he had lined up; the appointment of JG would naturally slow/halt this process (in order to check these potential targets align with JG's ideas of an improved quality of signing).  And is this idea of JG not being aware or financial restrictions (this is St Mirren we are talking about) not rather naive and worse than that ..............it is assuming that JG did not do due diligence himself?  One thing Jim Goodwin is not, is being as naive as many posters here would have us believe.

I also think you are ever so slightly over egging the " fanfare and self congratulatory backslapping" that occured. IMO. 😎

24 minutes ago, truesaint said:

St.Ricky 

Definition

adjective
  1. 1.

apologies in advance.

You are so right about them both.

Why didn't I think of that - suits them both very well.

'

12 hours ago, LargsBud said:

This has got nothing to do with him backing managers. This was a completely separate issue which has been discussed to death on this forum.

The facts are GLS has significantly backed every manager he has appointed so far. 

Jack Ross with the January 2017 squad overhaul, Stubbs with last summer's whole new squad and OK with another whole new squad in January this year.

He will back Goodwin. It takes time to get the right standard of players in. 

When you say Gordon Scott has backed every manager he has appointed so far... hasn't he just spent all St Mirren and SMISAs cash and not invested a penny of his own? In other words, on top of having higher season ticket sales this season and last season, we've had 2 years of increased prizemoney and something close to, supposedly £2m in transfer fees in less than 3 seasons.

The chairman couldn't even honour his pledge to buy fans a St Mirren strip if they beat him in the Paisley 10k 2 years ago.

12 hours ago, magnus said:

No way we have frittered away the best part of £2m. 

How much cash have we got in the bank then?

When Jason Naismith and Kyle McAllister were sold in January 2017 it was to finance paying off a share of the sale price to the previous board, and finance paying off Alex Rae abd David Farrell and the players being mutually consented in January and to bring in 11 players that window to save us from relegation to League 1.

When Lewis Morgan was sold to Celtic in January 2018 for £300k we were told it would help with cash flow issues - despite the fact we had also sold Stevie Mallan in the summer 2017 window.

Have a look at the number of players we have signed and released (as well as managers, assistants, first team coaches) since GLS became chairman. At one point last season we had over 35 first team players on the books, Jack Ross' remnants + Stubbs' 11 signings + Lyness, Ferdinand, Jackson and Hammill + academy players like McPherson, Erhahon, Muir, Jamieson.

Since then we have received money for John McGinn's transfer to Aston Villa... possibly coming to us in installments rather than a lump sum. How much of our £900k will have gone on paying off Stubbs and Jackson or mutually consenting guys on 2 or 3 year deals like Kpekawa, King, Heaton or running with a squad of 35 players rather than 22? We have also paid off Kearney since then as well. Have a look at the clubs we were signing players on loan from last season: Manchester United, Rangers, Derby, Brighton, Middlesborough, Aberdeen... I wonder what our share of the wages was for them?

3 hours ago, Big Yards said:

I actually can’t believe what I’ve been reading today. Firstly an ex chairman and current board member slagging each other off in public on twitter and now we have a board member arranging a boxing match against a supporter. What on Earth is going on!

It's no Love In. That's for sure. 

Roll on a signing or 5 and the new league season and getting past the silly season. 

4 hours ago, Big Yards said:

I actually can’t believe what I’ve been reading today. Firstly an ex chairman and current board member slagging each other off in public on twitter and now we have a board member arranging a boxing match against a supporter. What on Earth is going on!!!

Nothing wrong with an arranged boxing match. :boxing

19 minutes ago, magnus said:

Just gets stranger and stranger.....

5 hours ago, Big Yards said:

I actually can’t believe what I’ve been reading today. Firstly an ex chairman and current board member slagging each other off in public on twitter and now we have a board member arranging a boxing match against a supporter. What on Earth is going on!!!

*It appears to be bare bum boxing against a mentally subnormal supporter with a toilet fixation.

Not the way we wanted to start the season at all.