Why has the Director of Football failed?

The chairman and the board member are embarassing with their current conduct. Offering to fight with a supporter should be a sackable offence and stating that the proceeds (though god knows who would pay to watch) would go to charity - that being the St Mirren charitable trust.

Just give money to the trust and don't bother with a fight.

That charitable trust is very handy though, it's just the right type of trust that could take over from SMiSA if everything goes wrong. I believe they could take control of the SMiSA funds and run the club without input from SMiSA members.

That charitable trust is very handy though, it's just the right type of trust that could take over from SMiSA if everything goes wrong. I believe they could take control of the SMiSA funds and run the club without input from SMiSA members.

With the projections presented at the SMISA AGM, i cannot see SMISA getting into such a perilous state to go down that route.

1st sniff of it, I can see SMISA getting a whole new committee to oversee the objective of BTB and ensure, such a scenario does not come to fruition.

4 minutes ago, Kombibuddie said:

With the projections presented at the SMISA AGM, i cannot see SMISA getting into such a perilous state to go down that route.

1st sniff of it, I can see SMISA getting a whole new committee to oversee the objective of BTB and ensure, such a scenario does not come to fruition.

There is a distinct lack of interest from SMiSA members to even attend meetings never mind join the board and attend board meetings, also it has been made increasingly difficult for anyone to join the SMiSA board because of the current boards selection criteria. I wish i could share your optimism that a whole new committee would be formed but i don't see that happening.

What happens if the current board resigns en masse leaving nobody in office.

14 hours ago, Kemp said:

The thread title doesn't mention Gus MacPherson, the original post is asking if the position of "DoF" / "Chief Moneyball Officer" is a realistic one for a club of our size. Has GM been properly supported? Were budgets not properly worked out at the start of the summer? 

There could be numerous reasons why this window has been a disaster, but I have never seen a job title created with such fanfare and self congratulatory backslapping only for it so publicly miss all of its targets!

So far. 

1 minute ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

So far. 

The principal goal was to ensure stability even in the result of a change of manager.

In this respect it has been a complete failure.

I'm not sure what some people are failing to grasp here. We are out the League Cup already (a very important tournament for us financially), have been humiliated by non league opposition and we are holding training sessions 1 week before the start of the season with half the team missing.

There is no "so far", it has failed.

Even if Popescu, Isma, McAllister and Stevie May were all to sign this week it doesn't change the fact that having a DoF has not helped at all in preparation for this season.

Let me just say, looking at the non stop stream of nonsense coming from our Chairman and directors, I do not blame Gus MacPherson at all for the situation.

If no one else is interested, I'll be having a chat with a few of my SMISA member mates and the wife will be getting told she is moving back to Scotland sooner. [emoji16][emoji1787]

1 hour ago, buddiecat said:

I think that's a good question. I can't speak for other SMISA members but I imagine most saw SMISA as a last chance saloon and were happy to commit some funds to stop the club disappearing into oblivion. The burden of running the club wasn't something they signed up for.  As illustrated many aren't interested in or able to turn up for meetings.

Many of them will have no real interest in "The community" vision of SMISA and were only interested in saving the Club.

Your average SMISA member has no idea what the plan is when the buy out is complete. 

At present your average SMISA member will have nothing to show for their donations, not investments and SMISA will have no more SMISA funds as soon as the buy out is complete as Members have not yet been asked to contribute beyond that date. With no subscriptions to pay, are they still members? Who will elect the board? Who will be in office?

Let's take a wild guess here and predict GLS will still be at the wheel.

Edited by East Lothian Saint

30 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

I think that's a good question. I can't speak for other SMISA members but I imagine most saw SMISA as a last chance saloon and were happy to commit some funds to stop the club disappearing into oblivion. The burden of running the club wasn't something they signed up for.  As illustrated many aren't interested in or able to turn up for meetings.

Many of them will have no real interest in "The community" vision of SMISA and were only interested in saving the Club.

Your average SMISA member has no idea what the plan is when the buy out is complete. 

At present your average SMISA member will have nothing to show for their donations, not investments and SMISA will have no more SMISA funds as soon as the buy out is complete as Members have not yet been asked to contribute beyond that date. With no subscriptions to pay, are they still members? Who will elect the board? Who will be in office?

GLS will have no shares left at all, so would have to be elected as chairman by SMiSA members, so possibly him, but i know at least one of the other current club board members has an ambition to be chairman.

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

The principal goal was to ensure stability even in the result of a change of manager.

In this respect it has been a complete failure.

I'm not sure what some people are failing to grasp here. We are out the League Cup already (a very important tournament for us financially), have been humiliated by non league opposition and we are holding training sessions 1 week before the start of the season with half the team missing.

There is no "so far", it has failed.

Even if Popescu, Isma, McAllister and Stevie May were all to sign this week it doesn't change the fact that having a DoF has not helped at all in preparation for this season.

Let me just say, looking at the non stop stream of nonsense coming from our Chairman and directors, I do not blame Gus MacPherson at all for the situation.

But Gus is a Director too.

35 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

GLS will have no shares left at all, so would have to be elected as chairman by SMiSA members, so possibly him, but i know at least one of the other current club board members has an ambition to be chairman.

this is why i bailed out early from SMISA, it's the old story of people who could never have got to a board position under their own efforts getting on a committee and forming a nice wee cabal with their mates to tie the process up so that they can get a position of power using other people's money and other people's hard work.  As soon as the BtB scheme was up and running they isolated  those who had put in the graft.

Fan ownership?  That will happen in name only and are most senior clubs not owned by fans anyway, even without a SMISA to bankroll things?  

SMFC will only prosper when a group of well motivated and capable business people who have the club at heart can pool their own resources and work with a SMISA that is more like the original conept of that group.

1 hour ago, East Lothian Saint said:

When they buy out GLS they can appoint  a fully qualified and experienced  CEO to run the club,move Tony to Director  of Football and bin  Gus. They will have over 80%of shares so can sell some to raise some capital.

Smisa should continue with a smaller monthly payment with members given a choice from the CEO where their priorities  lay for their contributions. 

1 hour ago, buddiecat said:

16 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

When they buy out GLS they can appoint  a fully qualified and experienced  CEO to run the club,move Tony to Director  of Football and bin  Gus. They will have over 80%of shares so can sell some to raise some capital.

Smisa should continue with a smaller monthly payment with members given a choice from the CEO where their priorities  lay for their contributions. 

As a SMISA member I have been given no indication that there is any further requirement for my cash after the buy out. On that basis I don't think they envisage any  role for the ordinary SMISA benefactor after this date. They will just be 'Joe Soap'  St Mirren fans like everyone else.  Who will SMISA be, after the buy out???

I don't think there is any suggestion that any of the ordinary SMISA contributors will get any say in anything. A Board will still run the Club.  Not sure who will elect them if no one is contributing to the  funds or will we all just be honorary life members  of SMISA. I don't think so.

Then again I couldn't see Club being run by committee,  I Don't think that would work.

I suspect the final result will definitely involve smoke and mirrors.

Edited by East Lothian Saint

4 hours ago, buddiecat said:

The chairman and the board member are embarassing with their current conduct. Offering to fight with a supporter should be a sackable offence and stating that the proceeds (though god knows who would pay to watch) would go to charity - that being the St Mirren charitable trust.

Just give money to the trust and don't bother with a fight.

Over LPM's dead body.............Oh wait a minute..................😃

3 hours ago, buddiecat said:
3 hours ago, Kombibuddie said:

There is a distinct lack of interest from SMiSA members to even attend meetings never mind join the board and attend board meetings, also it has been made increasingly difficult for anyone to join the SMiSA board because of the current boards selection criteria. I wish i could share your optimism that a whole new committee would be formed but i don't see that happening.

In that case everything goes to pot......................... Oh wait a minute!     ............  😃