Jump to content

Kemp

Why has the Director of Football failed?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

Are you allowed to boast about the amount of unofficial t-breaks in one shift. emoji848.png

Mines 5, with two official and a lunch break in a 8 hour shift. emoji16.png

Sorry it's off topic but I'm bored and currently on another break. emoji23.png

I have one big t-shift with some small work breaks in between. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tick-Tock - even more awkward! It's not a binary choice sign poor players early or good players later on in the window - we could've signed some good players early in the window if the DoF had been doing the job our Chairman promised last autumn.

 

 

How do you know we could have signed good players early in the window? Would these players have been as good as the players we signed? Was the job that the Chairman promised the DoF would do was to sign the best players possible before the start of the League Cup campaign?

 

It’s not a binary choice, sign all new players before the start of the League Cup campaign and sign none later in the window!

 

We signed 3 players before the start of the League Cup. We lost 3 players from the sides that beat Dundee United (including Kyle McAllister, who has subsequently rejoined).

 

The players that we had should have been good enough to qualify from that League Cup campaign. Rushing in signings to help us qualify from that group shouldn’t have been an issue!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

Calum Waters has said that it took up to a month to get his loan move through. It just shows that it is not an overnight job to bring players in.

Yeah, Goodwin said the same on his interview. Been trying since he came in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

 

How do you know we could have signed good players early in the window? Would these players have been as good as the players we signed? Was the job that the Chairman promised the DoF would do was to sign the best players possible before the start of the League Cup campaign?

 

It’s not a binary choice, sign all new players before the start of the League Cup campaign and sign none later in the window!

 

We signed 3 players before the start of the League Cup. We lost 3 players from the sides that beat Dundee United (including Kyle McAllister, who has subsequently rejoined).

 

The players that we had should have been good enough to qualify from that League Cup campaign. Rushing in signings to help us qualify from that group shouldn’t have been an issue!

 

There's always uncertainties about the quality of players a club like Saints can sign ultimately it comes down to the amount of money the BoD (effectively GLS atm) - if you look back at 2016/17 (Great Escape Mk. 1) you'll see the wage bill was significantly higher than the previous season (which also included a management pay-off) and I suspect this years report (2018/19) will be interesting although with the club being in a different division a like-for-like comparison with the previous season isn't relevant,

We should have had two lists ready for the DoF/Manager to work on after the play-offs in May and we should have already made preliminary  enquiries beforehand. I still think we didn't have enough quality players, bedded into the team to assume we should have qualified for the knockout stages of the LC and that arguing otherwise is the same sort of arrogance some Aberdeen fans showed yesterday in the aftermath of our game - that even using squad players to freshen up a team who had played midweek and were missing their main striker should still have been good enough to beat us.

As @kevo_smfc says deals often take awhile to complete these days, all the more reason for the DoF to get started early, as I said above it comes down to the money that GLS is prepared to sanction and had the 2 year deals (3 for McAllister) we've seen since JG arrived were being offered earlier on in the window I'm sure we could've completed deals in time for the LC.

**********************

I listened to the same BBC report @bazil85 did and interpreted it as GLS trying to bluff us that it had been the plan all along. :rolleyes: It's clear that the DoF role as described by GLS last autumn didn't worked this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit of commonsense is required here to think this through.

Firstly, I am not buying into any nonsense that we needed new players to have qualified from the group stage of the Cup.

Secondly, do we agree that the best players in our budget range will have options which mean they will take much longer to recruit. If we accept that, we have to accept that we hire these guys in later than we'd like. That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

The Cup was a f**kup. No doubt.

We could however quite easily have been sitting on 4 pts today had we held out vs Hibs. There should be no doom and gloom on this forum right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

A bit of commonsense is required here to think this through.

Firstly, I am not buying into any nonsense that we needed new players to have qualified from the group stage of the Cup.

Secondly, do we agree that the best players in our budget range will have options which mean they will take much longer to recruit. If we accept that, we have to accept that we hire these guys in later than we'd like. That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

The Cup was a f**kup. No doubt.

We could however quite easily have been sitting on 4 pts today had we held out vs Hibs. There should be no doom and gloom on this forum right now.

Good post.

but... 6 points today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

A bit of commonsense is required here to think this through.

Firstly, I am not buying into any nonsense that we needed new players to have qualified from the group stage of the Cup.

Secondly, do we agree that the best players in our budget range will have options which mean they will take much longer to recruit. If we accept that, we have to accept that we hire these guys in later than we'd like. That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

The Cup was a f**kup. No doubt.

We could however quite easily have been sitting on 4 pts today had we held out vs Hibs. There should be no doom and gloom on this forum right now.

As we could have been sitting on 1 point had Aberdeen equalised. :lol:

Things are what they are, not what people change them into. 

You do know Steven Gerrard said Rangers would have won the league had games only lasted 86 minutes, how stupid does that sound? :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

? Lost me there antrim.

You’re right.  Sorry.

My eternal, unbounded optimism about St Mirren had already translated the Hibs last minute goal into an equaliser, which... er.... it wasn’t.  :(

 

Also...

You still can’t spell, I see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

As we could have been sitting on 1 point had Aberdeen equalised. :lol:

Things are what they are, not what people change them into. 

You do know Steven Gerrard said Rangers would have won the league had games only lasted 86 minutes, how stupid does that sound? :rolleyes:

My day is not complete until some nugget mansplains things like this to me. 🤣

Are you Ricky in disguise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, antrin said:

You’re right.  Sorry.

My eternal, unbounded optimism about St Mirren had already translated the Hibs last minute goal into an equaliser, which... er.... it wasn’t.  :(

 

Also...

You still can’t spell, I see...

Are you sure I can't or is it that I won't? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Oh come on. Nobody boasts about how many hours they waste working for other people in 2019. 🤣

 

7 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

Are you allowed to boast about the amount of unofficial t-breaks in one shift. emoji848.png

Mines 5, with two official and a lunch break in a 8 hour shift. emoji16.png

Sorry it's off topic but I'm bored and currently on another break. emoji23.png

What’s a tea break? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

There's always uncertainties about the quality of players a club like Saints can sign ultimately it comes down to the amount of money the BoD (effectively GLS atm) - if you look back at 2016/17 (Great Escape Mk. 1) you'll see the wage bill was significantly higher than the previous season (which also included a management pay-off) and I suspect this years report (2018/19) will be interesting although with the club being in a different division a like-for-like comparison with the previous season isn't relevant,

We should have had two lists ready for the DoF/Manager to work on after the play-offs in May and we should have already made preliminary  enquiries beforehand. I still think we didn't have enough quality players, bedded into the team to assume we should have qualified for the knockout stages of the LC and that arguing otherwise is the same sort of arrogance some Aberdeen fans showed yesterday in the aftermath of our game - that even using squad players to freshen up a team who had played midweek and were missing their main striker should still have been good enough to beat us.

As @kevo_smfc says deals often take awhile to complete these days, all the more reason for the DoF to get started early, as I said above it comes down to the money that GLS is prepared to sanction and had the 2 year deals (3 for McAllister) we've seen since JG arrived were being offered earlier on in the window I'm sure we could've completed deals in time for the LC.

**********************

I listened to the same BBC report @bazil85 did and interpreted it as GLS trying to bluff us that it had been the plan all along. :rolleyes: It's clear that the DoF role as described by GLS last autumn didn't worked this summer.

He’s tried to ‘bluff’ that we appear to have a very strong squad, most of which on two or three year contracts? 

Whats your basis specifically for the DoF role not working this summer? Gus job is not only the identifying or players personally but the review of players the management team identify to determine if fit for purpose. Seems like it’s worked a blinder for the second window in a row to me

Edited by bazil85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



There's always uncertainties about the quality of players a club like Saints can sign ultimately it comes down to the amount of money the BoD (effectively GLS atm) - if you look back at 2016/17 (Great Escape Mk. 1) you'll see the wage bill was significantly higher than the previous season (which also included a management pay-off) and I suspect this years report (2018/19) will be interesting although with the club being in a different division a like-for-like comparison with the previous season isn't relevant,
We should have had two lists ready for the DoF/Manager to work on after the play-offs in May and we should have already made preliminary  enquiries beforehand. I still think we didn't have enough quality players, bedded into the team to assume we should have qualified for the knockout stages of the LC and that arguing otherwise is the same sort of arrogance some Aberdeen fans showed yesterday in the aftermath of our game - that even using squad players to freshen up a team who had played midweek and were missing their main striker should still have been good enough to beat us.
As [mention=1218]kevo_smfc[/mention] says deals often take awhile to complete these days, all the more reason for the DoF to get started early, as I said above it comes down to the money that GLS is prepared to sanction and had the 2 year deals (3 for McAllister) we've seen since JG arrived were being offered earlier on in the window I'm sure we could've completed deals in time for the LC.
**********************
I listened to the same BBC report [mention=8643]bazil85[/mention] did and interpreted it as GLS trying to bluff us that it had been the plan all along. :rolleyes: It's clear that the DoF role as described by GLS last autumn didn't worked this summer.


Can you evidence how, where or why "it's clear that the DoF role has failed this summer" , particularly when there is still around 2 or 3 weeks of the summer transfer window remaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, antrin said:

You’re right.  Sorry.

My eternal, unbounded optimism about St Mirren had already translated the Hibs last minute goal into an equaliser, which... er.... it wasn’t.  :(

 

Also...

You still can’t spell, I see...

Your math's not very good either. :rolleyes: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Can you evidence how, where or why "it's clear that the DoF role has failed this summer" , particularly when there is still around 2 or 3 weeks of the summer transfer window remaining.

 

@bazil85

Here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45564078

Everything stalled during the Kearney saga and our "constant presence" was effectively left twiddling his thumbs, I'm as anyone glad JGs team seems to be gelling quickly but to suggest it's all part of the masterplan is ridiculous.

 

Edited by Bud the Baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bud the Baker said:

@bazil85

Here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45564078

Everything stalled during the Kearney saga and our "constant presence" was effectively left twiddling his thumbs, I'm as anyone glad JGs team seems to be gelling quickly but to suggest it's all part of "the masterplan" is ridiculous.

 

So that's just incorrect. 'We have a plan but not the manpower to define and execute it" so the set in stone specifics of his role were not 'defined' when that story broke. 

Things certainly did stall but a stall doesn't mean it'll fail does it? The bottom line that the boo boys ultimately need to accept is this window is looking like it has been a success even with the turmoil of a managerial change, exactly what GLS has been quoted as wanting (in some sense, again remember not defined). If it does pan out that way it'll be two for two transfer windows while Gus has been at that role, coincidence? You can hold onto your negative assumptions or you can embrace that we have a structure that now seemingly defined, is showing positive signs of success. 

Let's not forget some key points here. 

- St Mirren Vs Aberdeen is very different from St Mirren vs EK or Albion Rovers. Three or four divisions of difference actually, the players at our club at that time should categorically be beaten those teams, the failure to do so is with them & I'm sure they'd be the first to put their hands up. It was NOT a recruitment failure. 

- Aberdeen did not show arrogance yesterday, it's well accepted that teams need to rotate squads when they have stacked fixtures. 

- You have zero evidence we could have signed these players/ equal or better players sooner. I'm not saying we categorically couldn't have but you're making a negative assumption. The GLS interview yesterday, the timing of the left back signing (after the English window closed) the commentary on some players being scouted (by Gus according to Goody interviews by the way) last season & how long we were linked to some of these names all suggest they were not willing/ available earlier in the window. As GLS says, better players have better options, why would they all rush? 

- OK stated at his Q&A the job of Gus is not just identifying players himself but putting together detailed reports on players identified by him or others, imagine that must be the same for Goody. 

In summary, you can't provide any actual evidence to the determent of Gus job or our recruitment structure, all we have to go on is outputs. I would say the output signs so far are very promising like they were proven to be in the January window. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[mention=8643]bazil85[/mention]
Here...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45564078
Everything stalled during the Kearney saga and our "constant presence" was effectively left twiddling his thumbs, I'm as anyone glad JGs team seems to be gelling quickly but to suggest it's all part of the masterplan is ridiculous.
 
With respect you have no evidence he was left twiddling his thumbs. Did you want the club to sign players during the period that OK was still collecting his holiday pay?

Just because we stalled for 3 weeks in the summer doesn't mean that Gus wasn't working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

With respect you have no evidence he was left twiddling his thumbs. Did you want the club to sign players during the period that OK was still collecting his holiday pay?

Just because we stalled for 3 weeks in the summer doesn't mean that Gus wasn't working.

Every manager comes into a rump of players so yes!

I said GM was "twiddling his thumbs" - To wait idly because one cannot take action - not that he wasn't working.

I think this covers the "new signings" part of @bazil85's post which even he admits he can't prove "categorically".  

*******************

As for the LC I maintain it's arrogant to assume "categorically" that we should have beaten East Kilbride & Albion Rovers, see my reference to the Aberdeen fans who felt "categorically" the same way about yesterday's result - perhaps there are even some EK fans out there who think "categorically" that they should've beaten our Colts.

Always glad to see a fellow forumster expand his vocabulary. :lol:

Edited by Bud the Baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I once held the record for the longest lunch when I took three visiting auditors for lunch in Glasgow, or so I am told. Lasted from around 12.30 one day till around 3pm the next. Those were the days of expense accounts! 

And the auditors slept from 12.31 till 3pm the next day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...