Striker/attacking coach - should we have one?

4 hours ago, jaybee said:

How about cookie monster and BTW just saw on pie and bovril Wendy used to be captain sensible and Ricky apparently was St Sid?  mewonders???  😎

I knew the captain sensible/Wendy. Think he has a new name every year. 

Wouldn't have picked St sid and Ricky though. I remember St sid and don't ever remember him being an arsehole. Well not one that pissed me off with every post

5 hours ago, Kemp said:

Not sure if Thommo would be a good coach, but someone to just work with the boys and try to boost their confidence would work. Probably already on the radar.

Junior Mendes could do a couple of evening classes!

U r more deluded than i thought..mendes with 50 odd goals in 350 games at lower level and u want him as striking coach🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, slapsalmon said:

Wouldn't have picked St sid and Ricky though. I remember St sid and don't ever remember him being an arsehole. Well not one that pissed me off with every post

Personally, no idea what your talking about wity St. Sid. 

6 hours ago, slapsalmon said:

Aye, same here.

Overall St Sid was decent enough, like everybody had the odd moment but not in Ricky's league. 

Sid used to add something to the forum, unlike Ricky.

This seems to be coming from LPM, no idea where he gets the link.

Edited by faraway saint

Would be a good idea if we could afford it. Some simple advice might help though just as much.
A. When you cross a ball the idea is to put it in the box not out the park.
B. When a cross is coming in it is a really good idea to get players in the box to receive it
C. It is a really good idea for strikers to poach about and anticipate a mistake or loose ball

These snippets might just improve our goal ratio. They were badly lacking last season

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, same here.

Overall St Sid was decent enough, like everybody had the odd moment but not in Ricky's league. 

Quite funnny watching you wriggle

We seem to suffer from a complete lack of movement and any sort of dynamic plan in the final third and this was very much prevalent last season as well.
We're so static at times it's unreal and then we have floated balls up to Mullen where best case scenario it results in a defender heading it out and getting us up the park. Only for poor movement  from the throw-in to usually result in us surrendering possession or retreating and losing position. 
So... apart from the obvious need for new signings - should we be looking to get an attacking coach on board?  
Our backroom team of Goodwin, Sharp, McManus (and MacPherson) have plenty of experience for defence/midfield.  We have a goalie coach in Langfield. 
Are we neglecting our attacking midfielders and strikers who have very limited experience in the top flight? 

This is a very good post/topic. This is a position I believe we’d benefit from (especially Cooke and Mullen being young strikers)

Jason Scotland offered his services to St Mirren around 6 weeks ago and didn’t even get a response which I found very disappointing, as it was I that contacted Saints on his behalf.

Back on topic. Like a lot of ideas, the basic proposition has some merit. 

The question may be, is this the right time to appoint another coach. Two reasons that it may not be are that we haven't finished recruiting players and that our budget may be sttetched in meeting the first. 

2 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

This is a very good post/topic. This is a position I believe we’d benefit from (especially Cooke and Mullen being young strikers)

Jason Scotland offered his services to St Mirren around 6 weeks ago and didn’t even get a response which I found very disappointing, as it was I that contacted Saints on his behalf.

Not convinced a club with our obvious budget constraints can afford this luxury. 

TBH not much of a job, a couple of hours getting forwards to score a goal, can't be that hard? :wink:

8 hours ago, slapsalmon said:
13 hours ago, jaybee said:

How about cookie monster and BTW just saw on pie and bovril Wendy used to be captain sensible and Ricky apparently was St Sid?  mewonders???  😎

I was simply repeating what I saw on pie and bovril for the edification of all apart from one certain persona who has wet his pampers over it?  😎

3 hours ago, the barrhead teacher said:

Would be a good idea if we could afford it. Some simple advice might help though just as much.
A. When you cross a ball the idea is to put it in the box not out the park.
B. When a cross is coming in it is a really good idea to get players in the box to receive it
C. It is a really good idea for strikers to poach about and anticipate a mistake or loose ball

These snippets might just improve our goal ratio. They were badly lacking last season

I think part of the problem is that teams are trying to overwork/overthink the play now rather than just put the ball and bodies in to the danger zone.  

Crap Scottish teams are trying to play safe, possession football like Guardiola and we're not equipped for it. 

As a result we are putting less balls in the box and it just has a domino effect. The less crosses we put in because we're trying to work the perfect position/angle then the quality of crossing gets poorer and poorer. Subsequently the strikers have less to feed off so they get out of the habit of needing to be in the box and attacking crosses because they are so few and far between. 

If you go back and watch the Millenium season video - there was no hesitation from Nicolson and Ross on the flanks when they got the ball. They just got the ball in the box and we had attackers that were lapping up the service. 

Now I would reckon that we only put the ball in the box 1 out of 5 opportunities. 

It's no wonder that goals and chances are hard to come by.

Edited by Maboza

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, same here.

Edited 2 hours ago by faraway saint

Old news 😎

I wonder how much time Oran Kearney spent on attacking drills and shape like Bournemouth are doing here.

From the complete lack of movement every time we were in the opposition half last season I would suspect very little. I honestly didn't understand how a team of professionals could have all week to work on a plan and come out with so little every time.

3 hours ago, Maboza said:

I think part of the problem is that teams are trying to overwork/overthink the play now rather than just put the ball and bodies in to the danger zone.  

Crap Scottish teams are trying to play safe, possession football like Guardiola and we're not equipped for it. 

As a result we are putting less balls in the box and it just has a domino effect. The less crosses we put in because we're trying to work the perfect position/angle then the quality of crossing gets poorer and poorer. Subsequently the strikers have less to feed off so they get out of the habit of needing to be in the box and attacking crosses because they are so few and far between. 

If you go back and watch the Millenium season video - there was no hesitation from Nicolson and Ross on the flanks when they got the ball. They just got the ball in the box and we had attackers that were lapping up the service. 

Now I would reckon that we only put the ball in the box 1 out of 5 opportunities. 

It's no wonder that goals and chances are hard to come by.

Different game / time from them but yes get it fecking moving forward, and into the box ASAP as long as someone is there and if the ball does break we can get back, basic fitness, I may be naive in game management but but as far as I'm concerned we need to get going.  FFS WE ARE STMIRREN NO THE FAKES , NO HAMILTON AND CERTAINLY f**kING ROSS COUNTY PICK UP THE TEMPO COYS!!!!!