Welcome Jonathan Obika

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:37 PM, jaybee said:

His role is behind the scenes, but almost certain he will have had some involvement. 

I find it unconscionable that although JG has openly stated that GM, TF and GLS are doing their best and are actively involved in pursuing players, nevertheless there are still posters venting their spleen at "wee angry".  You really couldn't make it up. 

And yet we had the OS emphasising the involvement of GM in McLoughlin's arrival? Even though it was a qualified statement. Why would they suddenly announce this yet say Nothing about any others? My theory is that he had little to do with them.

There is nothing wrong with that kind of employment except it shows how bright he is and that was the train from earlier....    :bounce2
REMEMBER He boasted that if he was the 2nd thickest on the forum then I must be the 3rd most thickest OR similar...  :moony2
You defend him all you like - he is some imbecilic  relative of YOU - another who did great at school and cannot decide if he is a taxi driver or chauffeur - the difference is one takes the fares and the other does not . . . .    :hammer
Go on now reply with your constant repetitive cr*p which only you, your aliases and relatives like !!!     Dull life  should have stuck in at school or got help after you left... :pirate

:lol:

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:
On 8/2/2019 at 10:37 PM, jaybee said:

His role is behind the scenes, but almost certain he will have had some involvement. 

I find it unconscionable that although JG has openly stated that GM, TF and GLS are doing their best and are actively involved in pursuing players, nevertheless there are still posters venting their spleen at "wee angry".  You really couldn't make it up. 

And yet we had the OS emphasising the involvement of GM in McLoughlin's arrival? Even though it was a qualified statement. Why would they suddenly announce this yet say Nothing about any others? My theory is that he had little to do with them.

You may draw assumptions from said statement and you may be correct ........ or not, , I am quoting what JG said. 

On 8/2/2019 at 10:54 PM, Sweeper07 said:

There is nothing wrong with that kind of employment except it shows how bright he is and that was the train from earlier....    :bounce2

REMEMBER He boasted that if he was the 2nd thickest on the forum then I must be the 3rd most thickest OR similar...  :moony2

You defend him all you like - he is some imbecilic  relative of YOU - another who did great at school and cannot decide if he is a taxi driver or chauffeur - the difference is one takes the fares and the other does not . . . .    :hammer

Go on now reply with your constant repetitive cr*p which only you, your aliases and relatives like !!!     Dull life  should have stuck in at school or got help after you left... :pirate

Again...shut it..clown..

• 4 months later...

Is it time those who have been criticising Obika start backing off?

It’s December and he’s on 5 goals. Last season our top scorers managed a massive tally of 6. We are just shy of the halfway point of the season - if Obika hits the same tally throughout the second half of the season he’ll hit double figures - which was only achieved by Sutton, Higdon and Thompson in our previous 9 year top flight spell.

He may not score again this season, he may do better than expected and hit 12-15 goals. But perhaps it’s time to lay off the guy a bit - he’s here to score goals and he’s doing a better job of it than anyone else we’ve had this season or last season.

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

It’s December and he’s on 5 goals. Last season our top scorers managed a massive tally of 6. We are just shy of the halfway point of the season - if Obika hits the same tally throughout the second half of the season he’ll hit double figures - which was only achieved by Sutton, Higdon and Thompson in our previous 9 year top flight spell.

He may not score again this season, he may do better than expected and hit 12-15 goals. But perhaps it’s time to lay off the guy a bit - he’s here to score goals and he’s doing a better job of it than anyone else we’ve had this season or last season.

Reasonable comment...............................before today he'd scored 3 goals, we're almost in mid December, hardly inspiring.

For what it's worth I thought he's been playing well since the Hearts game.

Should people back off, probably since he's almost doubled his goals tally today, aye.

I'd be wary of the Mystic Meg bit......................let's hope he does well in the remainder of the season. 

Edited by faraway saint

People actually forget how long it took Thommo to get his first goal and how few league goals he actually scored.

Blah blah - the guy is seriously decent at CF for us.

No he is not prolific or perfect in many ways - but he has arrived and hits his 1st double for us - maybe a few more doubles before his 1st hat trick, who cares, he is doing the CF job well in the last 8 or 9 games despite the doubters moaning like ****

He will soon hit double figures - something not too many Saints players have managed in recent years !!!!!!

12 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Reasonable comment...............................before today he'd scored 3 goals, we're almost in mid December, hardly inspiring.

For what it's worth I thought he's been playing well since the Hearts game.

Should people back off, probably since he's almost doubled his goals tally today, aye.

I'd be wary of the Mystic Meg bit......................let's hope he does well in the remainder of the season. 

3 goals into December wasn’t overly inspiring, but it does appear it’s taken him a bit of time to find his game with us.

As I said above he may not score again, but 5 goals before the New Year sets a target of hitting double figures, and it’s been rare for us in recent years to find someone doing that in the SPL for us. He’s only one goal off last season’s best of (a rather low) 6.

He reminds me of Higdon in a lot of ways. And indeed a lot of the criticism he gets on this forum and in the stands is identical to the stick Higdon got in his time here.

‘ Only scores lucky goals ‘

‘ Can’t hold the ball up ‘

‘ Not a natural finisher ‘

‘ Doesn’t run around much ‘

We haven’t had a striker capable of getting double figures in a Premier League season since Thompson. Indeed our top scorer last season - Jackson - got 6 in the whole campaign. Jon already has 5 and we ain’t even half way yet.

What makes that return even more impressive is the fact his first goal didn’t come till mid October. It took him a while to find his feet and fitness, but since he did he’s scored 5 goals in 10 games, fantastic numbers.

He’s the first name on the team sheet now and the only question is who’s going to partner him. We’ve tried Andreu and Mullen but his best foil seems to be his mate Morais. They’ve developed a real understanding and with Obika’s strength and Junior’s pace and hard work they don’t give defences a minutes peace.

Double figure strikers at this level are like hens teeth for a club like us. They’re very hard to find, and when we do get one they usually don’t stick around long. Higdon was one and I think we may have found another. Let’s enjoy him while we can.

11 minutes ago, TopCat said:

He reminds me of Higdon in a lot of ways. And indeed a lot of the criticism he gets on this forum and in the stands is identical to the stick Higdon got in his time here.

‘ Only scores lucky goals ‘

‘ Can’t hold the ball up ‘

‘ Not a natural finisher ‘

‘ Doesn’t run around much ‘

We haven’t had a striker capable of getting double figures in a Premier League season since Thompson. Indeed our top scorer last season - Jackson - got 6 in the whole campaign. Jon already has 5 and we ain’t even half way yet.

What makes that return even more impressive is the fact his first goal didn’t come till mid October. It took him a while to find his feet and fitness, but since he did he’s scored 5 goals in 10 games, fantastic numbers.

He’s the first name on the team sheet now and the only question is who’s going to partner him. We’ve tried Andreu and Mullen but his best foil seems to be his mate Morais. They’ve developed a real understanding and with Obika’s strength and Junior’s pace and hard work they don’t give defences a minutes peace.

Double figure strikers at this level are like hens teeth for a club like us. They’re very hard to find, and when we do get one they usually don’t stick around long. Higdon was one and I think we may have found another. Let’s enjoy him while we can.

Hidgon was certainly a better finisher

But Obika does run and holds the ball up

Lets hope he keeps getting these lucky goals

This will happen if we keep getting crosses in

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Definitely Morias is the best option up top alongside.

I also thought Cooke worked quite well with Obika on Saturday.

The big deal for a striker is getting goals. It breeds confidence. The fact that Obika and Morais have been assisting one another too shows that they are playing the team game. 

Cooke certainly adds something different and he will poach a few goals too if he stays fit.

There are times for Mullen, Andreu etc. but these two actually give us some strength up front - no doubt a few defenders will get caught out by them...

Edited by Sweeper07