Welcome Jonathan Obika

11 hours ago, TopCat said:

He reminds me of Higdon in a lot of ways. And indeed a lot of the criticism he gets on this forum and in the stands is identical to the stick Higdon got in his time here.

‘ Only scores lucky goals ‘

‘ Can’t hold the ball up ‘

‘ Not a natural finisher ‘

‘ Doesn’t run around much ‘

We haven’t had a striker capable of getting double figures in a Premier League season since Thompson. Indeed our top scorer last season - Jackson - got 6 in the whole campaign. Jon already has 5 and we ain’t even half way yet.

What makes that return even more impressive is the fact his first goal didn’t come till mid October. It took him a while to find his feet and fitness, but since he did he’s scored 5 goals in 10 games, fantastic numbers.

He’s the first name on the team sheet now and the only question is who’s going to partner him. We’ve tried Andreu and Mullen but his best foil seems to be his mate Morais. They’ve developed a real understanding and with Obika’s strength and Junior’s pace and hard work they don’t give defences a minutes peace.

Double figure strikers at this level are like hens teeth for a club like us. They’re very hard to find, and when we do get one they usually don’t stick around long. Higdon was one and I think we may have found another. Let’s enjoy him while we can.

:huh:

15 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

:huh:

TopCat has a point though. Higdon faced regular criticism yet he was one of the best strikers we have had in the past decade. If Obika keeps scoring at the rate he’s going, it’ll be the same thing - lots of criticism but does exactly what we want of a striker. Time will tell (he may not score ever again for us), but he’s playing well at the moment and TC’s right when he says Higdon took a lot of shit from the fans.

6 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

TopCat has a point though. Higdon faced regular criticism yet he was one of the best strikers we have had in the past decade. If Obika keeps scoring at the rate he’s going, it’ll be the same thing - lots of criticism but does exactly what we want of a striker. Time will tell (he may not score ever again for us), but he’s playing well at the moment and TC’s right when he says Higdon took a lot of shit from the fans.

Let's be honest - fans are critical and no player is perfect - certainly not the ones that play for us anyway. Even if Obika was scoring 14 plus a season, some fans will still moan that he misses some chances or loses possession etc. I remember fans moaning at McGarvey and McAvennie when they were not too terrible...

There were posters on here who persistently said that Obika is never a striker etc.

14 the target for the big man in the league and Scottish Cup this season - some will laugh, but only time will tell... 

48 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Let's be honest, until last Saturday the biggest concern about Obika was he wasn't scoring goals.

That was fair criticism, for most. 

2 goals in one game has lifted him from poor to pretty reasonable, although the willingness to write off the early part of the season to make his goals/games tally look good is fecking a joke.

Comparing him to Higdon is, at  this point in time, frankly hilarious.

Even funnier is the clown above bringing in McAvennie & McGarvey to the debate. 🤡

The biggest complaint about Higdon was he didn't run about enough, not in any way like Obika.

I've already mentioned the furore about his lucky goals, albeit true, doesn't matter one jot

It has taken away the fact we got a draw at home to one of our probable rivals to stay up.

Edited by faraway saint

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Let's be honest, until last Saturday the biggest concern about Obika was he wasn't scoring goals.

That was fair criticism, for most. 

2 goals in one game has lifted him from poor to pretty reasonable, although the willingness to write off the early part of the season to make his goals/games tally look good is fecking a joke.

Comparing him to Higdon is, at  this point in time, frankly hilarious.

Even funnier is the clown above bringing in McAvennie & McGarvey to the debate. 🤡

The biggest complaint about Higdon was he didn't run about enough, not in any way like Obika.

I've already mentioned the furore about his lucky goals, albeit true, doesn't matter one jot

It has taken away the fact we got a draw at home to one of our probable rivals to stay up.

I won’t disagree with any of that. As I’ve said it seems to have taken time for him to find his form. I hope for our sake it’s just the beginning and he does carry on to hit double figures. Danny Mullen hit similar form near the end of last season but that just seems to have been a good patch as his goals record has been/is still very bare aside from that patch.

Unlike many others back then, I didn’t give a crap that Higdon “didn’t run much”. He was there to score goals and he was excellent at it. Most of our fans seemed to prefer the aimless running of Dargo than the goals of Higdon - Higdon smashed in more SPL goals in one season than Dargo did in 3 or 4 seasons across all competitions. But week in week out it was “he ran around lots” while Higdon was a “lazy bastard who doesn’t do anything”. Give me a striker smashing in the goals than an endurance runner with limited football ability any day. Perhaps slightly harsh as he was good before he joined us, but that pre-season injury ruined him.

Edited by Cornwall_Saint
That and than are two different words ffs

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2019 at 7:30 PM, Cornwall_Saint said:

TBH you're to blame.

If you said this once you've said it 3 or 4 times.

The comparisons with Higdon are, and were, desperate.

Aye, some people criticised Higdon, there endeth the similarities. 

A few people spotted Obika isn't a goalscorer but could have a role to play.

That's pretty much been my view since the 5-2 gubbing from Hearts. 

Pretty much summed him up yesterday.

Not scored in the league since mid December, that's a fact. 

6 hours ago, Dickson said:

I don't understand the criticism of Obika at all. I think he's done very well since coming to the club. 

Early in the season the supply to him was dreadful at best. He was often left playing with his back to goal with his support from the rest of the team at least 20 yards behind him. If any striker could get 20 goals a season from that kind of set up I'm sure Barca and Real Madrid would be in the market for them. 

On Saturday again, particularly in the second half, I felt that the front two had a thankless task. St Mirren seemed to sit in deep and looked to play the long ball forward despite the gale force wind at their backs. The fact the goal came from the one decent passing move St Mirren had in the second half backs that up completely. 

AND OBIKA won the ball taking back possession from Motherwell, played the pass before the one onto our new goal scorer . . . 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, TopCat said:

Best striker this football club has had since Thommo.

What a player.

Love him.

Just popped in here to see if anyone clueless f**ker was still giving him stick.

We've got him signed on for next season, too. If we stay up, and keep him, he'll score 15 for us next year, no bother.

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

Jon is now amongst the elite few who have managed a double-figure goal return for us, as a top league club, in the past 2 decades:

16 = Thompson (11/12, 12/13 & 13/14)

14 = Higdon (10/11)

13 = Sutton (06/07)

13 = Mehmet (09/10)

12 = Mehmet (08/09)

12 = Dorman (08/09)

11 = Gillies (99/00)

10 = Obika (19/20)

With a cup run and still a good few league games remaining,  I can see him climbing a few places on that list.

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

Jon is now amongst the elite few who have managed a double-figure goal return for us, as a top league club, in the past 2 decades:

16 = Thompson (11/12, 12/13 & 13/14)

14 = Higdon (10/11)

13 = Sutton (06/07)

13 = Mehmet (09/10)

12 = Mehmet (08/09)

12 = Dorman (08/09)

11 = Gillies (99/00)

10 = Obika (19/20)

Come on the big man. Another one or two on Friday and, being greedy, two more v Motherwell on 25 Feb and you go second top with games to come. 

Edited by St.Ricky

1 hour ago, munoz said:

Other players really need to be chipping in more. 

Think Jakubiak is good foil for him. Jak is strong, skillful, works well with his back to goal and has pace.

Obika seems to be at his best when he doesn't have time to think about his chances. Most of his goals have come from crosses that he's got on the end of and hit first time rather than taking a touch to set himself and they are usually with his feet rather than his head. I can only think of one or two that haven't.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Think Jakubiak is good foil for him. Jak is strong, skillful, works well with his back to goal and has pace.

Obika seems to be at his best when he doesn't have time to think about his chances. Most of his goals have come from crosses that he's got on the end of and hit first time rather than taking a touch to set himself and they are usually with his feet rather than his head. I can only think of one or two that haven't.

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, Hiram Abiff said:

It might help if Goodwin found a regular partner for Obika instead of chopping and changing every week and even during games.

We need another McAvennie & McDougall partnership

How does McJakubiak and  McChabbi sound? as a duo they would test the linguistic skills of the punditry. 

7 hours ago, jaybee said:

How does McJakubiak and  McChabbi sound? as a duo they would test the linguistic skills of the punditry. 

Mac

jak

ubiak.

The North Bank chanters should be able to work with that.

(for clarity, St Lucifer....  this is not a call for rhyming couplets....   :rolleyes:  )