Welcome Jonathan Obika

On 12/16/2019 at 7:52 AM, TopCat said:

He reminds me of Higdon in a lot of ways. And indeed a lot of the criticism he gets on this forum and in the stands is identical to the stick Higdon got in his time here.

‘ Only scores lucky goals ‘

‘ Can’t hold the ball up ‘

‘ Not a natural finisher ‘

‘ Doesn’t run around much ‘

We haven’t had a striker capable of getting double figures in a Premier League season since Thompson. Indeed our top scorer last season - Jackson - got 6 in the whole campaign. Jon already has 5 and we ain’t even half way yet.

What makes that return even more impressive is the fact his first goal didn’t come till mid October. It took him a while to find his feet and fitness, but since he did he’s scored 5 goals in 10 games, fantastic numbers.

He’s the first name on the team sheet now and the only question is who’s going to partner him. We’ve tried Andreu and Mullen but his best foil seems to be his mate Morais. They’ve developed a real understanding and with Obika’s strength and Junior’s pace and hard work they don’t give defences a minutes peace.

Double figure strikers at this level are like hens teeth for a club like us. They’re very hard to find, and when we do get one they usually don’t stick around long. Higdon was one and I think we may have found another. Let’s enjoy him while we can.

Obika is doing well and might hit 15 for the season, maybe more. 

That was his problem right up until the 2nd Aberdeen home game couldn't score the easy chances from 1on1's to 6 yard goals.

Now we all expect him to score every game not sure what's changed but hopefully he keeps it going.

Another poachers goal again. Lurking around the 6 yard box and getting in and toe to it first time. 
Big guy might not be dominant in the air but get that ball in to his feet and he does the damage. 

Obika is doing well and might hit 15 for the season, maybe more. 

Yep I thought back then he’d finish on 10-15 for the season. Could that have been an underestimate.. wouldn’t it be great if he could do 15-20...? Just a question of how high he gets up that table that was posted earlier now.

Worth noting that he signed too late to play in the league cup, where he surely would have added at least a few more. I remember Billy Mehmet scored loads of his goals in the league cup one year. 5 in 1 game against Dumbarton rings a bell.

Jon is certainly capable of hitting Thompson/Higdon numbers for us. After his fantastic winning penalty at Fir Park last week I would give him penalty taking duty too (if we ever get another one).

If he keeps playing this well I fear we will struggle to hold on to him in the summer. I bet Motherwell are going to be interested given his performances against them and they have cash to spend. Good problem to have I guess...

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Yep I thought back then he’d finish on 10-15 for the season. Could that have been an underestimate.. wouldn’t it be great if he could do 15-20...? Just a question of how high he gets up that table that was posted earlier now.

Worth noting that he signed too late to play in the league cup, where he surely would have added at least a few more. I remember Billy Mehmet scored loads of his goals in the league cup one year. 5 in 1 game against Dumbarton rings a bell.

Jon is certainly capable of hitting Thompson/Higdon numbers for us. After his fantastic winning penalty at Fir Park last week I would give him penalty taking duty too (if we ever get another one).

If he keeps playing this well I fear we will struggle to hold on to him in the summer. I bet Motherwell are going to be interested given his performances against them and they have cash to spend. Good problem to have I guess...

Yep, and at least he's contracted up. 15-goal strikers don't come cheap.

20 hours ago, TopCat said:

He was on trial at Motherwell in the summer and they binned him.🤣

Just now, Julian Banjos said:

16 (13x3)= Thompson (11/12, 12/13, 13/14)
15 (14) = Higdon (10/11)
13 (11) = Sutton (06/07)
13 (3) = Mehmet (09/10)
12 (7) = Mehmet (08/09)
12 (10) = Dorman (08/09)
11 (10) = Gillies (00/01)
11 (7) = Obika (19/20)

*league goals in brackets

Updated as I'd made a couple of mistakes....

Obika up to 3rd place after this coming Saturday. 

On 2/25/2020 at 10:12 PM, scam75 said:

I was convinced big Jon's feet were made of lego. He does lots of things well but was never convinced by his shooting. However he has proved me wrong, is doing the instinctive things really well. Keep it going big man!

Maybe Wednesday.... 

Another good performance from Jon last night, won a lot, decent hold up play and two close chances.

Don’t get the fans who get on his back. Clueless. Those folk were probably the ones who thought Gareth Wardlaw deserved a new contract cause he ran about. Obika is getting the same treatment as Higdon...a players that won Scottish Player of the Year and scored a load for us. 

On 3/5/2020 at 7:57 AM, aldo_j said:

Another good performance from Jon last night, won a lot, decent hold up play and two close chances.

Don’t get the fans who get on his back. Clueless. Those folk were probably the ones who thought Gareth Wardlaw deserved a new contract cause he ran about. Obika is getting the same treatment as Higdon...a players that won Scottish Player of the Year and scored a load for us. 

Have to agree with you. Strikers miss chances but take others. Nothing new there. What is new is that we have a player likely to hit 15 goals in a season. We've not had that for a while. Enjoy.