Why has the director of football failed to impress some fans?

Gus has a history with St Mirren, he is on reflection one of the best managers we have had in recent years, similarly so was Danny Lennon. Gus came to our club during a period of turmoil just after the sacking of Stubbs and the appointment of an untried Irish manager. As far as I can see he brought some stability during this period. He helped recruit some quality players on short term deals to keep the team from being relegated. He appears to be doing the same judging by recent signings. 

So why is he still being scapegoated by sections of our support? 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Oh yes. 

19 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Gus has a history with St Mirren, he is on reflection one of the best managers we have had in recent years, similarly so was Danny Lennon. Gus came to our club during a period of turmoil just after the sacking of Stubbs and the appointment of an untried Irish manager. As far as I can see he brought some stability during this period. He helped recruit some quality players on short term deals to keep the team from being relegated. He appears to be doing the same judging by recent signings. 

See below your opening post and it becomes clearer why.  The poster on this site with the largest amount of posts, however if you discounted similar ones to the one I am referring to and those that simply say ffs, it might be different, but this is his idea of a reasoned debate?????.  I think Gus is doing OK.  I thought he did OK when he was manager, not very exciting boring in fact, but no denying his stats.

7 minutes ago, jaybee said:

See below your opening post and it becomes clearer why.  The poster on this site with the largest amount of posts, however if you discounted similar ones to the one I am referring to and those that simply say ffs, it might be different, but this is his idea of a reasoned debate?????.  I think Gus is doing OK.  I thought he did OK when he was manager, not very exciting boring in fact, but no denying his stats.

What the feck are you on about ?

You miss the point all the time.

Boring, bland and abusive like your pals.

And dim.

24 minutes ago, shull said:

What the feck are you on about ?

You miss the point all the time.

Boring, bland and abusive like your pals.

And dim.

To quote your alter ego.................... ^^^^^ what does this even mean?
🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣

you need a new (and better) scriptwriter.  

5 minutes ago, jaybee said:

To quote your alter ego.................... ^^^^^ what does this even mean?
🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣

you need a new (and better) scriptwriter.  

Dim

It is you who is quoting somebody else.

Very dim.

3 minutes ago, shull said:

Dim

It is you who is quoting somebody else.

Very dim.

Ignore him.

Tragic patter, desperate for attention, a nobody trying to be somebody, and failing.

If you notice he hardly gets any engagement, so he runs around interjecting with repetitive drivel.

Accuses everybody of being the same person, a sure sign he's run out of ideas a long time ago.

To be pitied TBH.  

28 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Ignore him.

Tragic patter, desperate for attention, a nobody trying to be somebody, and failing.

If you notice he hardly gets any engagement, so he runs around interjecting with repetitive drivel.

Accuses everybody of being the same person, a sure sign he's run out of ideas a long time ago.

To be pitied TBH.  

He could be an alias of wilbur.

Another nonentity whose patter dried up years ago.

Listen wee man I don't care about anything you think because you are a sanctimonious ars*hole and your posts in the main are crap.

Shull is merely someone incapable of engaging in a constructive debate and so resorts to abuse, wouldn't mind if it was interesting, instead it's repetitive.

Wendy, if it ain't Shull it's his sister / clone / alter ego.

Shetland generally comes out to support Shull. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Gstretch I am assured is NOT shull, probably true as is is a nasty little turd, just as ignorant mind you.

But really this is an apology to AlLBIONSAINT for ruining his thread by reacting to the above, my apologies unfortunately I don't do well when people piss me off, , I can deal with criticism and debate, however these people just keep repeating the same sh*t; like a broken record and I bite back...............sometimes too often.

Edited by jaybee
carnt sperl

3 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Listen wee man I don't care about anything you think because you are a sanctimonious ars*hole and your posts in the main are crap.

Shull is merely someone incapable of engaging in a constructive debate and so resorts to abuse, wouldn't mind if it was interesting, instead it's repetitive.

Gstretch I am assured is NOT shull, probably true as is is a nasty little turd, just as ignorant mind you.

But really this is an apology to AlLBIONSAINT for ruining his thread by reacting to the above, my apologies unfortunately I don't do well when people piss me off, , I can deal with criticism and debate, however these people just keep repeating the same sh*t; like a broken record and I bite back...............sometimes to often.

JOBBEE IS ABSOLUTELY RATTLED  :lol:

29 minutes ago, jaybee said:

But really this is an apology to AlLBIONSAINT for ruining his thread by reacting to the above, my apologies unfortunately I don't do well when people piss me off, , I can deal with criticism and debate, however these people just keep repeating the same sh*t; like a broken record and I bite back...............sometimes to often.

I feel your pain. I don’t know what is going on (Brexit, heatwave, preseason tension) the forum has been truly awful for the last couple of weeks. I suggested in another thread that maybe it’s time to open a new section where folks who like to be abusive to each other can just spend there time there. Could call it the Cocktogon 

8 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I feel your pain. I don’t know what is going on (Brexit, heatwave, preseason tension) the forum has been truly awful for the last couple of weeks. I suggested in another thread that maybe it’s time to open a new section where folks who like to be abusive to each other can just spend there time there. Could call it the Cocktogon 

Honestly, believe it or not I do NOT like the abuse, receiving or dishing it out which i am more than capable off.  Unfortunately it's just not in me to sit and let crud like that pass and several of them can be really quite nasty. I am beginning to think Div is right and it should be shut down.  I do like the debate even when I disagree; it's all about opinion and putting yours forward rationally not Shull like which is just repetitive or others who are sarky and also repetitive the ffs man, the sites top poster who very occasionally talks sense but more often than not just posts so he will be top dog........sad little man.  It's a difficult position to manage, getting rid of those who are the worst abuser might make things to tame and I can see why Div leaves it alone in the main.  I am going to try my best to ignore you know who, but there really are some obnoxious little turds on here. anyway apologies again for spoiling your thread

Honestly, believe it or not I do NOT like the abuse, receiving or dishing it out which i am more than capable off.  Unfortunately it's just not in me to sit and let crud like that pass and several of them can be really quite nasty. I am beginning to think Div is right and it should be shut down.  I do like the debate even when I disagree; it's all about opinion and putting yours forward rationally not Shull like which is just repetitive or others who are sarky and also repetitive the ffs man, the sites top poster who very occasionally talks sense but more often than not just posts so he will be top dog........sad little man.  It's a difficult position to manage, getting rid of those who are the worst abuser might make things to tame and I can see why Div leaves it alone in the main.  I am going to try my best to ignore you know who, but there really are some obnoxious little turds on here. anyway apologies again for spoiling your thread

Comedy irony! [emoji1]

5 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Gus could have taken over from Kearney, won us the league, followed that up with winning the Champions League and some of our fans still wouldn’t back him because he didn’t win the domestic treble.

We came a long way under Gus but that doesn’t matter to some.

4 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

If it wasn't him ? it would be someone else that's what they do, but I wouldn't worry too much about Gus he's been involved in football a long time and will be pretty thick skinned,  

Just look at the flak our chairman has got recently, When he took over we were heading to league 1.  were now in the Premiership looking up and his 3 years in charge have been a total rollercoaster the best 3 season back to back since the Fergie days IMO.    So my message to them ALBIONSAINT is..... be careful what you wish for 

9 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:
11 hours ago, jaybee said:

Comedy irony! emoji1.png

I know! but you still keep posting the same old sh*te  😎

Not so much, "Failed to impress". Quite simply, Failed to deliver.

Failed to deliver the promise of continuity during times of managerial upheaval

A failed experiment. A waste of a wage. An appointment of convenience for a chairman's pal.

The very reason for the role being invented was to ensure we weren't in the very position we find ourselves.

As for it being Gus? He had no experience in the role he was given. His ONLY qualification was his friendship with GS.

IF he were really so good at his other job he would have been with a club bigger than the amateur side he left. His stats did not stack up. Yes. He got us promoted and kept us in the top league. Only just, season after gruelling season with, largely, football that could hardly be described as scintillating.

He was a man of a time for us. Even during it fans were being disillusioned by his horrible tactics.

A lot of people are making a lot of assumptions about who is sourcing these players. There is NO evidence he has or hasn't. Was he looking through the internet while track suited in Spain? 

both sides of the argument make their own assumptions about the signings made but, what cannot be disputed is, we are chasing players after the start of the current campaign and a few days before the season for real gets underway.  We need to ask, "Would we be in anymore unready if he weren't in the post"?

We were told it was to be better prepared when GS hired his mate. This is why he has Failed.

7 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Not so much, "Failed to impress". Quite simply, Failed to deliver.

Failed to deliver the promise of continuity during times of managerial upheaval

A failed experiment. A waste of a wage. An appointment of convenience for a chairman's pal.

The very reason for the role being invented was to ensure we weren't in the very position we find ourselves.

As for it being Gus? He had no experience in the role he was given. His ONLY qualification was his friendship with GS.

IF he were really so good at his other job he would have been with a club bigger than the amateur side he left. His stats did not stack up. Yes. He got us promoted and kept us in the top league. Only just, season after gruelling season with, largely, football that could hardly be described as scintillating.

He was a man of a time for us. Even during it fans were being disillusioned by his horrible tactics.

A lot of people are making a lot of assumptions about who is sourcing these players. There is NO evidence he has or hasn't. Was he looking through the internet while track suited in Spain? 

both sides of the argument make their own assumptions about the signings made but, what cannot be disputed is, we are chasing players after the start of the current campaign and a few days before the season for real gets underway.  We need to ask, "Would we be in anymore unready if he weren't in the post"?

We were told it was to be better prepared when GS hired his mate. This is why he has Failed.

You've certainly made plenty of assumptions in there, it almost feels as if you don't like the guy...……...you said yourself there is no evidence as to whether he is or isn't sourcing the players but I'm prepared to take JG's appreciation of the work and effort that GMcP is putting in as at least suggesting his work is worthwhile.

st Lucifer....

There ARE constraints in sourcing players, one of which is their desire to commit to an unstable team at the foot of an obscure northern football league.

all players will weigh up their options and decide once those options thin out... as time elapses.  Their decision making need not coincide with St Mirren’s needs/demands.

so I am willing to believe that Gus may have worked wonders in securing these players announced this week.

biggest flaw in you berating the assumptions of others in your post above, to my mind, is your comment, "Would we be in anymore unready if he weren't in the post"?  You are assuming we would be - EITHER “any more READY if he WERE in the post?.”, or “Would we be in any more SHIT if he weren’t in post?”

you are also assuming something...

either way( you may have edited for clarity by the time I respond...)  we just don’t know at present.

Edited by antrin

I like both Gus and Fitzy, and am happy to have them at the club.

I just wonder what exactly their individual responsibilities are, where those responsibilities cross over, if any are replicated, and if both posts are absolutely essential.

Could one of those wages be put to better use under a different operational model?