St. Mirren v Aberdeen 10/8/19

Oldfellow

Was so refreshing seeing Flynn and Foley bombing around the middle of the park, making tackles, blocks and passes. Proper central midfield performance from the two of them and surely our first choice starting central midfield pairing from now on.

Hard to see how the captain gets back in if they’re fit.

Hard to see how anyone gets in after that performance dunno the need to single out Stephen but then that’s some st Mirren fans for you after a great win.

could easily switch to the 3 of them in midfield to answer your question if performances drop or wanting to set up more defensively.

Really enjoyed that today, the type of performance we haven’t seen for ages.

Thought all the new boys were superb

Waters was immense in the 2nd half,

McLoughlin excellent

Foley deservedly MOTM, like I said earlier we have been screaming out for a guy like this.

Durmus tired in 2nd half but took his goal so well, there’s plenty of goals and assists in him

Andreu, his miss aside I thought he was excellent and but in a fair bit of graft that you don’t associate with him

Obika looked a nuisance, fair bit to go fitness wise but will be handful up top

I’ve been a wee bit critical of Magennis but he was great today as well,

No failures at all

Genuinely excited about the season ahead

Hard to see how anyone gets in after that performance dunno the need to single out Stephen but then that’s some st Mirren fans for you after a great win.

could easily switch to the 3 of them in midfield to answer your question if performances drop or wanting to set up more defensively.

If we switch to a 3 I imagine it will be

Foley Magennis Flynn

McAlister Obika Durmus

Anyway it’s a good problem to have

16 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:
24 minutes ago, jaybee said:
Did he not say in his buddy vision interview that he had 2 years left with Killie?
hope NOT

Never seen his interview but seen online his contract expires next year

Excellent wonder if he got confused..com?  😎

What a difference a year makes, I was watching the game today and thinking back to that terrible performance at Pittodrie last August (4-0) our team now looks like an SPL quality team, we could easily have been 2-3 nil up in the first half. The 2nd half had Aberdeen pressing and we just soaked it up. We had a couple of chances to wrap it up near the end, however some poor decision making from Mullen denied us a nerve free last 10 minutes. Aberdeen hit the post with a few minutes to go, then 4 minutes of nerve jangling extra time. 

Defence was solid (Mckenzie’s short shorts should be mandatory for the whole team) midfield was strong, wingers were fast. I like Obika, he is strong and appears to read the game well. I think we still need another quality striker and a CB to really let the team push for a mid table finish. 

Today Just highlights how bad Stubbs squad was. 

If we switch to a 3 I imagine it will be

Foley Magennis Flynn

McAlister Obika Durmus

Anyway it’s a good problem to have

Depends who we are up against and where not going to go away to the big teams and play a 433 with that starting 11.

More likely Mcallister or durmus would drop out for the likes of Stephen and magennis out wider.

Competition for places is a good thing and having Stephen about the club is also a good thing no need to people to try beat our captain with a stick because he’s out injured and the players that came in done great he will just need to work hard to try get his place back and same for those to keep their places which is only good for us.

Guest TPAFKATS

I don't recall seeing us looking as fit as we do now. We also have an organisation and are well drilled on the park that has been lacking under the last few managers.

Happy to up possession to Aberdeen in their own areas yet we still created the better chances.

Great start at home, hopefully we'll build on it over the season.

I heard Chick Young mentioning that's it's our 100th year in the top league. I'm glad someone has picked up on this. I noticed it during the summer but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

I think the 100 years thing is something that we should be displaying prominently on the cover of the programme, team sheets, etc (assuming it isn't already).

Get the information out there to anyone who is in any doubt about the stature of the club. We needn't apologise for being in the top league when it's where we've spent a massive chunk of the club's history, and a lot longer than many other clubs have.

Promoting the 100 years milestone is a far more convincing way of raising the club's profile than the pishy fudging of fake attendance figures that the likes of Dunfermline are doing.

8 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I heard Chick Young mentioning that's it's our 100th year in the top league. I'm glad someone has picked up on this. I noticed it during the summer but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

I think the 100 years thing is something that we should be displaying prominently on the cover of the programme, team sheets, etc (assuming it isn't already).

Get the information out there to anyone who is in any doubt about the stature of the club. We needn't apologise for being in the top league when it's where we've spent a massive chunk of the club's history, and a lot longer than many other clubs have.

Promoting the 100 years milestone is a far more convincing way of raising the club's profile than the pishy fudging of fake attendance figures that the likes of Dunfermline are doing.

Cairters Corner mentioned it close season but there was some debate as to whether it was Season 99 or 100.

Game epitomised by Goody fist pumping to himself as Calum Waters nailed two sliding tackles in quick succession at the start of added time. Defended really well and bar a couple of glaring misses and some poor decision making when breaking late on it was a superb performance. More of the same please.

1 hour ago, saintargyll said:

If we had scored one more goal we would of achieved Tony's Dream :lol:

And we might well have! When through three on one I thought it almost certain that we would score our second... But no complaints. 

Excellent performance, great team effort. 

24 minutes ago, RossCSmfc said:

Is this the first time we've beaten Aberdeen in the league since Gareth Wardlaw scored a winner at Pittodrie in Danny Lennon's first season?

ETA: Great result!! 

Checking FlashScores, that occurred in May 2011. We beat them again on the 30th July 2011, second game of the new season with Nigel Hasselbaink scoring on 50 mins.

Best performance from a Saints side in a long time .......... some statto must know but when is the last time we beat Aberdeen at home ?  Oops just noticed above post 2011

No failures today but special mentions for both centre backs and Tony  Andreu who was my MoM - his touch and work rate were top drawer. You can see the organisation Goody has brought to the team and we now have the players to play that counter attacking game that he is looking for. Our goal was a thing of beauty and I can’t wait to see it again.

This team is worth getting behind and I think we will surprise a few teams this season.

COYS !!!

Edited by Dare