St. Mirren v Aberdeen 10/8/19

Oldfellow

47 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

It's going to be hard for any player to break into this team . Stephen McGinn may have to wait for injuries or suspension before getting his place back , when he,s fully fit . He would though have a key role to play coming off the bench in the later stages of games , bringing fresh legs to the midfield . Good times ahead .

Today was pure magic  :magic

But we need to NOT get carried away...

Let's see how we cope in 2 weeks time - Hibs got destroyed today and the Fakes did last week against the other ugly sister...

I am hoping Goodie has a mixture of formations to suit us against different oppositions.

That is why getting a squad full of fit players is so vital . . . No way the same 14 from today will play all our matches … :cheers

Especially so if Goodie brings in 2 even better players than what we have now . . .

1 minute ago, munoz said:

I wish you could put bets on the outcome of players performances. 

Truth is a number of their players were not at their best today. I think not having Cosgrove was a huge loss to them.

Given that they lost GMS, Shinnie, Max Lowe and Greg Stewart over the summer too, they are not the force they were last season.

Add in our positive transformation . . .   RIGHT RESULT !  :bounce2

So now we know what the Director Of Football, Tony Fitzpatrick and all the staff at the club do. 

They take their time and bring good quality players to the club that gets us to the point where we beat Aberdeen and at long last seem to have finally recovered from the disgraceful job that Alan Stubbs did to Jack Ross's team.

Last two games at home have been 1-0 victories but that's all they have in common

Delighted with the performance and result - best in a long while. Team was solid, composed and great on the counter.

We just need to take more of our chances but I believe that sharpness will come.

Unfortunately the old firm look like they are going to bulldoze most teams this year - silver lining is that means the next game is a free hit. Three points from a hard opening three games is better than we could have realistically hoped for.

Some celebratory vino tonight - a happy Sunday night.

1 minute ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Waters came into the 1877 after the game...he looks like he's in his early teens.

McLoughlin was there too, it's easy to forget how young these guys are until you see them up close.

That's when you know your really old. :(

14 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

Last two games at home have been 1-0 victories but that's all they have in common

Delighted with the performance and result - best in a long while. Team was solid, composed and great on the counter.

We just need to take more of our chances but I believe that sharpness will come.

Unfortunately the old firm look like they are going to bulldoze most teams this year - silver lining is that means the next game is a free hit. Three points from a hard opening three games is better than we could have realistically hoped for.

Some celebratory vino tonight - a happy Saturday night.

Agree that any points against those two are a bonus. The real difference might be goal difference, injuries and suspensions against them though.

Hibs -5 on goal difference today AND a sending off/ player misses a match.

The Fakes last week -6 . AND 5 players booked

I hope we can be more water tight in most of these games, it could mean the difference in one or two places higher in the league at the end of the season..

Edited by Sweeper07
Added in AND 5 players booked

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

St Mirren TV widnae work, had to use Red TV, saved me listening to the muppet show right enough. :booty

Correct....paid for it too and it would not work. 2nd game in a row this has happened to me. E-mail to be sent for refund....again.

Just now, thomsons dropped it said:

Correct....paid for it too and it would not work. 2nd game in a row this has happened to me. E-mail to be sent for refund....again.

Tell Buddies 1877, he's on the payroll and will not have a bad word said about it. :lol:

Repost in the St MIrren TV thread, absolutely unacceptable. 

Excellent first half performance. A wee bit nervy and sat back too much second half. It's already been mentioned but worth reiterating. No failures today. Mullen was a wee bit out of sorts and showed his frustration with the booking. It's amazing to think that we limited Aberdeen to a couple of chances and a few speculative efforts with us having by far the best goal scoring opportunities. Quick breaking forward and staunch in defence. Waters, Flynn and Foley special mentions but every single player left every ounce of energy on that pitch. I hope this is a sign of things to come. 

First chance I’ve had to look at the forum since full time. Travelled through today with two Dons fans who were very confident of a win. I’ve had to rein it in on the journey back to Fife and be a magnanimous gentleman in victory, even although I was buzzing.
They’ve just left to head back north after a wee feed and my son and I have danced around the kitchen like numpties. COYS!!!!
That was an awesome display today, a true team performance. Goodie has them fighting, a well drilled unit with quality throughout the team. No failures in the side. We could’ve scored 4 or 5 today, sitting tight and hitting with pace and skill on the break. Was a good time to play Aberdeen, but we were well worth our victory. The transformation in the past 2 weeks has been tremendous. Well done Jim and the lads. Starting to look forward to this season with some cautious optimism.

What impressed me most today was that the team was actually brave and didn't fear the rain and difficult pitch. 

They played through the conditions rather than letting it hamper them. So many times you see teams underhitting passes to try and compensate for those types of conditions and we didn't look like doing that today. Plenty of slippery passes, balls picking up pace on a wet surface and bits of poor control as players struggled to judge speed at points as the game went on but it didn't cause the players to stop trying to be creative and taking chances. 

If conditions were ideal today, we'd have seen even more attacking intent. And to top it off, Jim Goodwin wasn't even wholly satisfied with us in that sense and believes we will still improve massively in attacking intent!

Early days indeed but massively encouraging. 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

What impressed me most today was that the team was actually brave and didn't fear the rain and difficult pitch. 

They played through the conditions rather than letting it hamper them. So many times you see teams underhitting passes to try and compensate for those types of conditions and we didn't look like doing that today. Plenty of slippery passes, balls picking up pace on a wet surface and bits of poor control as players struggled to judge speed at points as the game went on but it didn't cause the players to stop trying to be creative and taking chances. 

If conditions were ideal today, we'd have seen even more attacking intent. And to top it off, Jim Goodwin wasn't even wholly satisfied with us in that sense and believes we will still improve massively in attacking intent!

Early days indeed but massively encouraging. 

:lol:

Good all round performance, all the new guys contributed.

Always looked more likely to score a second than let Aberdeen equalise, rode our luck with the penalty claim, the only criticism I'd make is the Obika should've been off 10-15 minutes before he was eventually subbed but we looked top division level today and is was February before you could say that last season.

Feet on the ground and there's no reason why we shouldn't finish 8th or so.

59 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Waters came into the 1877 after the game...he looks like he's in his early teens.

McLoughlin was there too, it's easy to forget how young these guys are until you see them up close.

25 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Naw you’re just an auld bassturt.

I actually saw you before the play off home leg, but I was past you before I realized it was you. Didnae recognise ye with white hair. 🤣