The Family Stand - Open Letter to the Board

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Since most of them don't buy to move to an other stand,  I would say they are upset. 

Maybe the club should just ask them (since it only a few) to find out the true numbers, might help to avoid all the bitterness on this thread. 

We know some families and children stayed away from these games regardless based on previous season data. There is no saying 100% of the people staying away would attend if we changed the arrangement. This was one of the points made when the arrangement was set up. 

Like I said before, I’d be completely open to a vote, whether that be season ticket holders or SMISA. I think the results might surprise some people but that’s only my observation. 

7 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

We know some families and children stayed away from these games regardless based on previous season data. There is no saying 100% of the people staying away would attend if we changed the arrangement. This was one of the points made when the arrangement was set up. 

Like I said before, I’d be completely open to a vote, whether that be season ticket holders or SMISA. I think the results might surprise some people but that’s only my observation. 

The vote you suggest would have pragmatists on one side and idealists on the other. I am a pragmatist who is, perhaps stupidly, optimistic that we can avoid this next season by turning up in enough numbers to convince the board that we will buy 5 000 plus season tickets, making it a simple decision to grant only one stand to all away teams. 

34 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Well upsetting more than 10% of season ticket holders that sit in the family stand isn't going to encourage more to buy.

One of the attractions of the Family stand is it's cheaper. Partly because it doesn't include Old firm games and many of the kids tickets are free.  SMISA fund a large proportion of them too. As has been demonstrated at less attractive and some important cup games when fans are asked to buy they don't. The family stand is usually empty if the Team are not performing.

The problem is probably that Football in General is too expensive for families. 

If the team are on a roll, irregular fans attend. If they are mediocre only the diehards do.

It's the same for every team. Stopping the Old Firm coming to town will, IMO, not change that. 

Value for money might.

Just now, St.Ricky said:

The vote you suggest would have pragmatists on one side and idealists on the other. I am a pragmatist who is, perhaps stupidly, optimistic that we can avoid this next season by turning up in enough numbers to convince the board that we will buy 5 000 plus season tickets, making it a simple decision to grant only one stand to all away teams. 

Splitting opinion is what voting ultimately is. Personally I think if it was a vote along the lines of what I suggested yesterday we’d see a majority for retain the arrangement but that’s just an opinion based on my observations. 

15 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Still wouldn’t work in knowing if there were a majority of saints fans for or against this. Secret vote for fans that might not be comfortable admitting they are in favour of the current arrangement. 

Yes you could be right here the vote could go either way judging by the feelings on here,  i'd say its must be 90+% who are not comfortable with it.  so far maybe just you who is 

2 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Yes you could be right here the vote could go either way judging by the feelings on here,  i'd say its must be 90+% who are not comfortable with it.  so far maybe just you who is 

This site is not a very good representation of the St Mirren support. It is a very small sample and a lot of the vocal contributors have schizophrenic or identity problems. 

Shull alone would count for about 20% of the votes.

Maybe even more. 

Hopefully not 90% though or its just me and him on the forum.

15 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

I think you might be doing Baz a disservice. My feeling is that he is being pragmatic and sees the current necessity of it (in financial terms) but I feel quite sure that he would prefer, simply, that more of us turned up at every game. I do agree with ELS that pricing strategies for the family stand, whilst they have improved, could be further improved or perhaps enhanced in some way. 

16 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

A couple of suggestions to aide getting the point across if i may?

1. Do it at the actual sevco game, its on the telly and if you email them in advance you could get a mention and wider notice.

2. Make it a minutes applause & cheering standing up. People like to make positive protests.

The problem with choosing the Sevco game is that local zombies will be sneaking in the home ends, so it won’t be a true reflection of the home support.

19 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

The problem with choosing the Sevco game is that local zombies will be sneaking in the home ends, so it won’t be a true reflection of the home support.

Its on the telly so good exposure and pressure on the board, and its the actual reason for the protest!

have a practice run against Aberdeen, get the W7 crew bannered up for the telly game! The board love a banner!

48 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Going by here has never been a good gauge of popular opinion when you compare it to the SMISA voting.

On here there’s a clear majority of people that aren’t happy with the voting options, money going to the club for match balls & the likes yet every SMISA vote to date that has been for funds to benefit the club has won by a very clear majority. 

Silent majority has been king regarding financially benefiting the football club we all support. Makes sense when you think about it. I personally think that would replicate to this subject. 

Side point, I actually think there will be a significant number of fans that couldn’t care less & wouldn’t vote, this for me would be the result based on those that wanted to vote. 

14 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Its on the telly so good exposure and pressure on the board, and its the actual reason for the protest!

have a practice run against Aberdeen, get the W7 crew bannered up for the telly game! The board love a banner!

Still won’t determine if this view is the predominant one of SMFC fans. Remember your view often hasn’t been, that’s why your previous ‘call to action’ SMISA posts have achieved nothing. 

22 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Well - I certainly dont try to speak on behalf of others or to act as a baromoter of opinion. I am a pragmatist. The remedy is in our own hands. Turn up in greater numbers.

If a few (maybe more than a few) on here attended home games then that would be a start. We do though have to become more inventive in bringing youngsters and famiies to the club on a regular basis. It has improved I grant you, but could still improve further.

Surely the sensible remedy is to turn up in less numbers rather than more numbers. How do you expect this rogue Board of Directors to pay any attention if you complain and then slavishly turn up and pay your money anyway.

23 hours ago, sally02 said:

The St. Mirren Family Stand – A Wrong Decision

Dear Board Members

I am writing this letter to you to express my unease with the on-going situation regarding the use of the Family Stand at St. Mirren Park.

I am personally opposed to the stance taken by the board to allow the use of the family stand for accommodating both the Rangers and Celtic supports at our home games against us, based on the claims of increased revenue to the club and therefore additional funds to support the playing staff budget.

I would like to highlight the club’s website ticketing information page detail for the South (Family) Stand:-

“Please note that the South Stand is a Family Stand and therefore we expect no swearing within this stand. In the past we have had complaints from family groups and potentially new supporters about the language their children were subjected to. We will therefore be working closely with the police and stewards to discourage this type of behaviour in order that the good work we are doing with local schools encouraging them to support the Club is not wasted. Please assist the Police and stewards by pointing out anyone who participates in unacceptable language.”

It beggars belief that the above is the policy of the club for the season, yet on 3 (or 4 occasions if we ever achieved Top 6 at the split in April), that is put aside to let 1654 additional opposing supporters, swear, sing sectarian songs, let off flares, throw objects onto the pitch, and in general flout the rules of the stadium, the laws of the land, and be above the attention of the Police in enforcing the rules and laws in place, as it might create a flash point to intervene and deal with the situation. You are in essence condoning that behaviour, rather than being radical and forward thinking.

In addition, although the Police and Stewarding arrangements are deemed to be adequate for the crowd management on the day, there has been no real regard shown to the fact that some fans will not attend, and the majority who do attend, do so with a feeling of unease and discomfort at the situation, which is most definitely not felt when all the other clubs play in Paisley. 

The upcoming home games against Aberdeen and The Rangers highlight a huge difference in the message being sent out to the St. Mirren support. 

On the one hand, there are the family events to take place prior to the Aberdeen game to try and encourage Families, Schools and Youth Groups to attend the Stadium and see the experience as something more than just a game of football over 90 minutes.

Then, just one week later, you ask those same Fans, Families, and potentially new Supporters to vacate the Family Stand, and if they wish to attend the match against The Rangers, more than likely have to take seats at either end of the Main Stand where fewest season tickets are taken up, and be in close proximity to all the things you claim you will not tolerate from your own support in the Family Stand. That is senseless and also dis-respectful of those fans.  

On behalf of some, if not the majority of Saints, I would request that you re-consider your current stance on this issue. Somewhere along the line, factors other than financial benefit have to be considered. Is tainting the match-day experience, sending out conflicting signals by condoning one rule for us and disregard of the rules by them, really the long-term solution to building the fan-base, and therefore the future strength and wealth of the club?

Have any options been considered? What about offering far flung Buddies or even existing Season Ticket holders the chance to buy a 3 match season ticket for these games, and let them nominate schools, youth groups or family members to attend on their behalf. Buddies crowd-funding around the World to buy up the tickets and a Panda Bear, to sit in their seat?  Just anything rather than the current situation – PLEASE!

The on-going situations at Kilmarnock and Aberdeen, and indeed between the 2 Glasgow clubs curtailing each others opposing support numbers, is a fairly poignant indicator of the way forward in my opinion.

Finally, I would request that the board release the working figures used for the plan to go ahead and allocate the Family Stand to the Old Firm, including details of the increased policing and stewarding costs.

I would also like to ask for clarification on the position if say, Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen become season long Title Challengers and started to regularly take 3000 or 4000 away supports to games. Would you then apply the same reasoning and implementation in that scenario?

Agree, High time we rethought this & allocated all home areas at St Mirren FC, Simple Digital Arena for home fans only & live with the financial consequences; living within our means with respect to our own supporters

27 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I think you might be doing Baz a disservice. My feeling is that he is being pragmatic and sees the current necessity of it (in financial terms) but I feel quite sure that he would prefer, simply, that more of us turned up at every game. I do agree with ELS that pricing strategies for the family stand, whilst they have improved, could be further improved or perhaps enhanced in some way. 

Ricky there's things far more important than money, and this one, what's the message are you sending out to everyone when moving your future fan base out there seat to accommodate a horde of sectarian fans who will spout bile and hatred from their seats....  Am sorry but their money is more important just now than you having a safe family atmosphere to watch a game of football,  and that includes the rest of us that take their family's who don't sit in the family stand ,  I know Rangers fans who don't go to away matches because they feel intimidated by them FFS...  

9 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Ricky there's things far more important than money, and this one, what's the message are you sending out to everyone when moving your future fan base out there seat to accommodate a horde of sectarian fans who will spout bile and hatred from their seats....  Am sorry but their money is more important just now than you having a safe family atmosphere to watch a game of football,  and that includes the rest of us that take their family's who don't sit in the family stand ,  I know Rangers fans who don't go to away matches because they feel intimidated by them FFS...  

I take your point. I did say.. In financial terms. I took my sons and their pals to games home and away, including those involving the OF. They still come to Paisley to watch the games but we rarely go to Ibrox or Parkhead. I'd much prefer that we gave only one stand, or if circumstances permitted less than that to visiting fans but this depends on fans at the edges buying more tickets themselves as SMFC fans. 

13 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Ricky is right, I strongly dislike this arrangement (I’d be very surprised if GLS & Tony don’t feel the same) & in an ideal world I would not only have our stands filled with SMFC fans, I would have the bigots completely removed from Scottish football. 

The realist in me knows that won’t happen & for me a few (you know who, please take that word in context) fans having a different view for 3/4 games isn’t enough of a blocker for us to turn down funds that could be the difference between our fans attending top flight or Championship football. 

One of the attractions of the Family stand is it's cheaper. Partly because it doesn't include Old firm games and many of the kids tickets are free.  SMISA fund a large proportion of them too. As has been demonstrated at less attractive and some important cup games when fans are asked to buy they don't. The family stand is usually empty if the Team are not performing.
If the team are on a roll, irregular fans attend. If they are mediocre only the diehards do.
It's the same for every team. Stopping the Old Firm coming to town will, IMO, not change that. 
Value for money might.
Well I can certainly remember plenty of fans buying tickets for important cup games [emoji16]

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

Surely the sensible remedy is to turn up in less numbers rather than more numbers. How do you expect this rogue Board of Directors to pay any attention if you complain and then slavishly turn up and pay your money anyway.

We're already doing that. That's why they're giving them a second stand. 

1 hour ago, garzo said:

Agree, High time we rethought this & allocated all home areas at St Mirren FC, Simple Digital Arena for home fans only & live with the financial consequences; living within our means with respect to our own supporters

Would for must part be possible had we not sought promotion. 

3 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Value for money might.

Maybe all STs should come with the chance to opt out of OF games.

Edited by Bud the Baker