Squad Complete

16 hours ago, Kemp said:

It sounds like that is the end of our summer transfer business.

How do think we look?

Overall I would say fair play to Gus & Jim. We have brought in a decent standard of player and got a few on 2 or 3 year deals. It is a shame we weren't ready for the League Cup but hopefully next season there won't be a repeat.

Looking at the squad I would say;

GK - Very strong, Vaclav is one of the best in the league.

Def - Weak. Baird & MacKenzie as a centre back pairing at this level concerns me, hopefully we won't need to call on that. Waters looks a decent signing but is inexperienced. We lack depth, and will be playing Cammy MacPherson in the emergency full back role when required. Erhanon's days as a full back are hopefully over. Please somehow bring back Popescu!

Mid - Looks strong. Durmus & McAllister as wingers is really exciting, looking forward to seeing Flynn, Foley and Andreu against Aberdeen. Looks like we have lots of energy in there and should be able to hit teams on the break. 

Attack - Hopefully strong! I think Obika might do well, and Danny Mullen showed what he can do at the end of last season. Very underated player. Cooke is there as back-up.

Everyone seems to be set up for a relegation battle given our recent experiences but I think we should do ok. My concern is that back line, but I assume we will be sitting back and looking to counter so players like Foley and Flynn will be able to offer some form of shield, and we won't have too many balls going over Baird/MacKenzie.

We should finish above Livingston, Hamilton and St Johnstone.

Bring back Popescu and we could push higher up the table!

Disagree upfront..weak as piss..wheres the goal scoring strikers? All have shite records

17 hours ago, dr rotund said:

The board and manager have done a great job, albeit later than i'd have liked but i can't see that happening again next season. I'm sure we'll be far more organised.

Things have taken too long this year but, given a lot of the signings are contracted past this season, I think that's a given. :thumbs2

14 hours ago, fmckinn said:

like a lot of others, IMO we need , the following. Left back, centre half, centre forward. 

A goalscoring striker is always the hardest position to fill so we just have to hope we get/got lucky.

This piece in today's Herald might help to reassure those of us who have lingering worries.

'As busy as Goodwin has been sorting out matters on the pitch, his focus is also on what the club ought to be doing behind the scenes to maximise the resources they have.

"The club has lacked stability for years. That's the bottom line," he said. "Managers have come in and put something in place. Then the next manager has binned it and used their own system. I am here for the next three years and more, hopefully, and I want to make the club better. I did that at Alloa. I said I wanted to to leave it in a better position than when I arrived and I felt that we did that

"It's not about me being a clever clogs at St Mirren and re-inventing the wheel. We are a Premiership club and this is what we should be doing.

"We aren't asking for stuff that will cost an arm and a leg - but wee need to recruit better. The Scottish market is far too small to be working in. If you only have eyes her you will just churn out the same stuff. We need to be in England and Ireland and we need to be taking a flight abroad now and again.

"We don't want to get to December and then say 'Oh, we need a full back.' As soon as this window closes we will plan for January. When that window closes we plan for the summer. It's about being a professional, well-run club and that's what I want to bring"

Edited by smcc

15 minutes ago, smcc said:

This piece in today's Herald might help to reassure those of us who have lingering worries.

'As busy as Goodwin has been sorting out matters on the pitch, his focus is also on what the club ought to be doing behind the scenes to maximise the resources they have.

"The club has lacked stability for years. That's the bottom line," he said. "Managers have come in and put something in place. Then the next manager has binned it and used their own system. I am here for the next three years and more, hopefully, and I want to make the club better. I did that at Alloa. I said I wanted to to leave it in a better position than when I arrived and I felt that we did that

"It' not about me being a clever clogs at St Mirren and re-inventing the wheel. We are a Premiership club and this is what we should be doing.

"We aren't asking for stuff that will cost an arm and a leg - but wee need to recruit better. The Scottish market is far too small to be working in. If you only have eyes her you will just churn out the same stuff. We need to be in England and Ireland and we need to be taking a flight abroad now and again.

"We don't want to get to December and then say 'Oh, we need a full back.' As soon as this window closes we will plan for January. When that window closes we plan for the summer. It's about being a professional, well-run club and that's what I want to bring"

Sounds like a man with a plan.

Key to many of his aspirations is staying in this league. 

Do that and he can start to build, something already happening with the amount of new players on decent contracts. 

Edited by faraway saint