Smart Meter

faraway saint

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

What;s the point?

Fairly recently changed energy providers who came along today and installed a smart meter with lovely wee box that shows me every penny that we're using on electricity & gas.

Apart from stopping the ancient art of reading a meter, what the feck is the point in this latest craze? 

Undoubtably your personal smart meter eading would be very low. 

Easy hit - *couldn't resist. 

1 minute ago, cockles1987 said:

Word of warning, don't switch the kettle on whilst cooking on two rings and something in the oven. emoji44.png

It's amazing that you start to think about how much water you put in the kettle to save a few seconds of pennies.emoji6.png

Indeed, I'm running around switching lights on and off to see a minuscule change.

Load of bollox. :lol:

51 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

What;s the point?

Fairly recently changed energy providers who came along today and installed a smart meter with lovely wee box that shows me every penny that we're using on electricity & gas.

Apart from stopping the ancient art of reading a meter, what the feck is the point in this latest craze? 

It's to save the company from sending out someone to read the meter isn't it?

I don't have one and have no interest in getting one either. I seem to remember reading that once you get one installed you can't always swap supplier unless they recognise that smart meter type.

Sounds like yet another "advance" which can be binned alongside those utterly bizarre Alexa/Echo devices.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I don't have one and have no interest in getting one either. I seem to remember reading that once you get one installed you can't always swap supplier unless they recognise that smart meter type.

Sounds like yet another "advance" which can be binned alongside those utterly bizarre Alexa/Echo devices.

Don't have one. Switched suppliers and requested that they read the meter. They are. 

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That seems the only/biggest advantage, and, means little or nothing to me.

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It's also a pain in the arse if you want it removed.

6 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Just asked Alexa who's the loonest loon ball from loonyville.

Just scrolled back to answer after she went straight to a certain poster. emoji6.png

Your Alexa must be fucked if it only gave you one answer for the posters on here.🙄

Edited by FTOF

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I had no trouble, the new company came in today, done the business, and hey presto, new one, including wee gizmo, installed. 

That's the easy part, wait until it stops working and you ask them to remove it coz it is wasting energy for something that doesn't work, lol

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

What;s the point?

Beats watching the telly! :nerdy

The original idea was to create a smart network which would be secure . The energy companies lose a fortune on meters that have are rigged fraudulent they don't like getting f**ked over whilts they are fcuking everyone else over . The regulator is now begining to show its teeth and has told the energy companies to cut prices. .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49261375

Of course , one can always resort to the old chestnut - if you've got nothing to hide - pish

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/08/05/smart-meter-dangers.aspx

What;s the point?
You will be able to see how much watching St Mirren on the telly or laptop now cost [emoji1782]

Already worked it out, 27p a season on ma massive telly, ca-ching.  :thumbs2
That doesn't include freebies at away game, they're, well, free. :booty
Well done you [emoji106] At that price expect a visit from shull to split the cost [emoji16]

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

What;s the point?

What a lot of people do not realise id that the company can decide for example (if use is high between 6pm and 9pm) they can charge say 5p per unit higher during these hours and you won't even know.  They can re set unit charges remotely and of course conveniently forget to let you know. They are all thieving gits IMHO 

Edited by jaybee

8 hours ago, jaybee said:

What a lot of people do not realise id that the company can decide for example (if use is high between 6pm and 9pm) they can charge say 5p per unit higher during these hours and you won't even know.  They can re set unit charges remotely and of course conveniently forget to let you know. They are all thieving gits IMHO 

Aye, and the tooth fairy can actually take money from children rather than leave it, IMHO. 🤡

9 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

The original idea was to create a smart network which would be secure . The energy companies lose a fortune on meters that have are rigged fraudulent they don't like getting f**ked over whilts they are fcuking everyone else over . The regulator is now begining to show its teeth and has told the energy companies to cut prices. .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49261375

Of course , one can always resort to the old chestnut - if you've got nothing to hide - pish

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/08/05/smart-meter-dangers.aspx

Your house is looking great.......................

Image result for tin foil house