The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

Didn’t see one of these?

Post your messages of appreciation for our club legend of a manager and his assistant in here.

Two ex players and what a job they’re doing so far in the dugout.

The team is organised and motivated and the new signings are looking great. Can’t wait to see what the rest of the season holds.

[emoji1433]

11 hours ago, shull said:

9th aint great.

Are you steaming  ye bullshitter ?  :blink:

9th would be progress from last year and I would take that now. 

Top 6 might then be within reach the next season and be potentially sustainable. 

Steaming - unlikely as I am a non drinker. Just put anything you think you disagree with down to someone, in this case me, having a different opinion or outlook. 

You might feel better if you did. 

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, TopCat said:

When were we 9th under the PE teacher?

You mean the football manager that kept us in this league?

I'm no great fan of OK and welcomed JG's appointment, but his team were as good as the one we have just now IMO.

I'll wait until the end of the season and see if we've "progressed" or not.

Interesting to see the positive contribution that our club captain made today, despite some dullards telling us that he wasn't good enough.

You mean the football manager that kept us in this league?
I'm no great fan of OK and welcomed JG's appointment, but his team were as good as the one we have just now IMO.
I'll wait until the end of the season and see if we've "progressed" or not.
Interesting to see the positive contribution that our club captain made today, despite some dullards telling us that he wasn't good enough.

Just double checking that your point was based on absolutely nothing.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Don't ever change.

It makes taking the piss out of you so easy.[emoji4]

‘ his team were as good as the one we have now ‘

His team were 11th (at highest, we were 12th for a while too) we are now 9th.

Also this league is stronger than last years.

Shine on you crazy diamond, shine on

11 minutes ago, TopCat said:

‘ his team were as good as the one we have now ‘

His team were 11th (at highest, we were 12th for a while too) we are now 9th.

Also this league is stronger than last years.

Shine on you crazy diamond, shine on

No it isn't.

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2019 at 9:49 PM, FTOF said:

No it isn't.

To be fair, we have a home game in hand against another team who have been within striking distance. If we win that on Tuesday, we go on to 14 points. 

It took us until 23rd February last season to reach 14 points and even then we were not cut adrift or even bottom for any sustained period. 

There is no joke outfit in the league this season whilst there were 3 last year, ourselves included. I'd say the overall standard of the league has definitely improved among the bottom six or seven teams or at the very least, ourselves and Hamilton have so far improved to bridge what was a pretty big gap to the rest. 

Surely by now most fans can see the folly in not bringing in a striker who is actually scoring at a good rate now, and not in his distant past?

Since the last quarter of Ross's tenure we have struggled for goals ( guess which guy called Mullen was in then). Ffs it ain't rocket science to then make it a priority to pay to bring in someone who could help get us points!
Obika and Mullen were poor again yesterday, it was only the pressure our midfield put on that created the chances for our goals.
I cant see us getting that amount of good possession in midfield against Hibs, and possibly up to the break.
Livi and Hamilton don't allow it, we can hope the fakes are still a bit pish. We need and have done for three years a real currently performing striker, or we'll just keep slipping back.

5 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Surely by now most fans can see the folly in not bringing in a striker who is actually scoring at a good rate now, and not in his distant past?

Since the last quarter of Ross's tenure we have struggled for goals ( guess which guy called Mullen was in then). Ffs it ain't rocket science to then make it a priority to pay to bring in someone who could help get us points!
Obika and Mullen were poor again yesterday, it was only the pressure our midfield put on that created the chances for our goals.
I cant see us getting that amount of good possession in midfield against Hibs, and possibly up to the break.
Livi and Hamilton don't allow it, we can hope the fakes are still a bit pish. We need and have done for three years a real currently performing striker, or we'll just keep slipping back.

Because bringing in a striker that can bang them in is such an easy task for clubs at our level. Imagine them not thinking a high hit rate striker would be a good idea 😂 delusional. 

10 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

We are a better side than Livi, RC and Hamilton and with a couple of additions in Jan I think we will show it over the season.

Obika wasn't poor yesterday, Mullen was but we need to see if Morais can find his feet in Scotland. So far Morais hasn't cut it but lets see where we are by Jan.

1 hour ago, Long John Baldy said:

It's a throwaway comment we're better than the teams you mention, nothing factually to back that up I'm afraid. 

I mentioned a few weeks ago Obika's link up play, and ability to annoy defenders, was useful but he, so far, is not a goal scorer.

As for Morais, it's close to the end of November, do you really think he'll turn from a "no goals per season" striker into "6 goals a season" striker? 

Its just my opinion that we are better than these other team and I think it will be proved correct. I thought we were better side against RC in Dingwall and deserved something from Livi away. Should have taken all the points against Hamilton also. We battered Hamilton and couldnt find the net. I think we are better than all of them. We are improving as a side overall and as I say a couple of decent additions in Jan and we will be fine

Obika needs to score more goals I agree and so far he hasn't looked prolific but yesterday he caused all sorts of issues for RC which created opportunities for others.  Looks to be lacking a bit of belief to me in front of goal, getting into positions but not executing. For me he also needs to add a bit more aggression to his game. For his size and height he's not doing enough in terms of getting on the end of crosses etc.

I'm not hopeful on Morais either but we'll see. He's played at a decent level previous to coming to SMFC so lets see if he bags a couple what that does for his game.

1 hour ago, Long John Baldy said:

I'm pretty sure the supporters of these teams will see it differently, as I said, factually there's nothing to back up your opinion. 

These teams will also strengthen in January, usually forgotten by some of our support. 

The only team I think we are better than is St Johnstone. All the other teams you mention, including us, are very much of a similar standard, not very good. 

Our home form does give us some hope but to balance that we are stinking away from home, hence we are in the bottom part of the league.  

We need someone who can score goals, someone who gets into a position to score goals and I think Obika could be a great foil for a player like this. 

I think they will be above all of Livi, SMFC, Hamilton and RC come the end of the season.

Not sure there is much factually to back your argument either btw ?

Goody thought Obika was outstanding leading the line. You clearly know better in every aspect t when it comes to football management !!!